Exit tickets-especially Reading teachers!

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by nstructor2, May 30, 2011.

1. nstructor2

nstructor2 Rookie

May 30, 2011

What do you do for exit tickets?

3. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

May 30, 2011

I'm not a reading teacher, but I did sometimes use exit tickets based on supplemental readings. When I gave the kids a current event reading, for example, an article on NASA funding, I would start the class by having them write out their thoughts or opinions on the topic. Then we would read and continue class. As an exit ticket, they would reflect briefly on whether or not their thoughts had changed based on our lesson.

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 30, 2011

It depends what we were teaching...I might have them use their vocabulary words in a sentence, write down one spelling word they want to practice, describe how they can tell when they use a strategy, write down one connect to the story we are reading....

5. englishteach7

englishteach7 Companion

Jun 7, 2011

Like Mopar said, it depends on what I was teaching. It is usually a quick sentence in response to what I taught or if grammar, a practice sentence to see if they "got it."

6. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jun 7, 2011

For my APUSH and AP Euro classes, I printed free business cards from Vista print as my "exit tickets."

The card says "On the back, write one thing you learned to day and analyze how it fits in our current unit/connection to previous units. Complete sentences, complete thoughts and analytical thinking required."

They have worked great for me and my students.

7. bumped

bumped New Member

Jun 30, 2011

It is different depending on what it is I am trying to assess. Sometimes I have a quick assessment that is printed up that I use at the end of the lesson. Sometimes I have a question that I have the students answer on a sticky note that they post somewhere before leaving.

8. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jun 30, 2011

I use the exit tickets simply... What have you learned today? What made an impact on you? How will you use this information in the future?

My exit questions are always about what they have learned from our lesson of the day and how what they are learning effects them and their future as well as what kind of impact this learning has on their daily life. And yes, these exit questions are for my language arts kids.

9. KLily21

KLily21 Companion

Jul 25, 2011

I use exit tickets in science. They are a great way to gather formative data!

We have one Big Idea for each of our science units, so sometimes the exit ticket prompt is something like, "How does what we learned today relate to our Big Idea?" I like to use exit tickets to find out more than what they learned that day, but do they actually see the POINT of the lesson each day?

10. roxstar

roxstar Companion

Jul 26, 2011

:wow: What a cool idea! Exit tickets are encouraged in my school and I think I would love to use the business cards. Can I ask you how you had your students turn them in? Did you have a basket at the door for them to drop it in or did you walk around and collect them?

11. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 26, 2011

I have a small rectangle plastic basket, the ones that come from Wal-Mart sold the packs of three for about $1 ~ this these

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-Square-Mini-Bin-Storage-Trays-White-3pk/16408670

Here's an example that I made on Vistaprint

[​IMG]

12. AF Mom

AF Mom Rookie

Aug 1, 2011

what are exit passes? Do the kids get credit or a grade for them? I like what I have read but not sure how to use them. Thanks

13. nstructor

nstructor Comrade

Aug 1, 2011

Exit tickets are short assessments that show if students comprehended what you taught that day.

14. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Aug 6, 2011

You might like Rick Wormeli's Summarization in Any Subject. In it, he includes several ideas of how students can demonstrate their learning during or at the end of a class period.

15. AF Mom

AF Mom Rookie

Aug 6, 2011

thanks for the info. I will check out hs book and see what he has to say.

16. Avery

Avery Rookie

Aug 6, 2011

That is awesome! I bet my kids would actually think a little before they wrote on something so "official!"

17. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 7, 2011

I stole your idea, INteacher! Mine are much simpler, to suit my students; they just say, "What did you learn today?"

18. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Fanatic

Aug 7, 2011

I also stole the idea, but did different question specific to my content area and types of activities we do.

19. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Aug 7, 2011

glad you both were able to borrow the idea and make it work for you :thumb:

20. maya5250

maya5250 Comrade

Aug 7, 2011

There are some good suggestions. I would also recommend a book called "Subjects Matter" by Daniels and Zemelmann along with the other book suggestions. It has a lot of before, during and after reading activities.

For science, an example of an exit slip that I give the kids is called a 3-2-1 countdown. The kids must explain three things they learned, 2 things they found interesting, and one question they still have.

21. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Fanatic

Aug 7, 2011

I love this!