Exhausted After the Teaching Day

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms.Holyoke, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Comrade

Nov 7, 2017

I am in my pre-practicum right now in an 8th grade math class and I'll be starting my student teaching soon in the same classroom. I have started taking over the teaching responsibilities when I go into school on some days. Today, I taught two lessons and lead a small group activity and I feel so exhausted. I honestly feel tired at the end of the school day (and I only go once a week!) and it makes me question whether I am cut out for this job, especially in a low-income school. I have a two year commitment to a high needs school and there are so many challenges that I am not used to. My mentor teacher works very very hard...she comes in before 7 and stays until 5:30 and doesn't take a lunch break. I don't think I will be able to do this regularly when I become a teacher and it worries me seeing how much she has to do everyday. I'm also feeling discouraged because I feel like all of our lessons are very procedural and I really want to use some of the ideas that we talk about in my methods classes next semester...but it is very hard to implement. To plan my lesson today, I spent about 3-4 hours creating the handout for students. I know I can't devote this kind of time next semester and I hope my mentor has materials I can use.

On the positive side, my lessons today went really well! One of my students walked out the door saying that it was a really great class and another student said I did a good job explaining. My mentor also gave me positive feedback!

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Nov 7, 2017

I can tell you for a fact that I've been home 90 minutes, drank an espresso, ate dinner, and am fighting the urge to crawl into bed. You aren't alone in your exhaustion.

Glad the practicum is going well otherwise!

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 7, 2017

It's just after 8pm and I feel as though that's a respectable time to head upstairs with a glass of wine; I'll probably read for about 15 minutes before I fall asleep. Exhaustion is common.

5. svassillion

svassillion Rookie

Nov 7, 2017

It's tiring but you get used to it. Your first year teaching will eat up a lot of your home time preparing for lessons, writing newsletters, lesson planning, etc. But, after the first year you'll notice you're doing less and less work at home. I'm in my 4th year and I've finally managed to avoid bringing home work during the week and can get all my planning done on Sundays. You also learn how to use the time at school efficiently so you don't need to do it at home.So it get easier. I remember in college thinking I was going to fail when the day came that I had to work full-time because I was not good at getting out of bed in the morning. I couldn't figure out how adults did it every single day. Luckily I adjusted and I think you'll find that you will too.

6. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Nov 7, 2017

When I started student teaching, I felt exhausted every day. I wasn't used to being "on" every minute. It's hard work, planning your lesson, implementing it, explain it, making sure students are paying attention and are getting it, getting distracted by 3 students talking, 4 students not paying attention, phone calls, watching the clock so that the lesson does get finished on time, etc. It was just too overwhelming.
    But you will get used to it and feel less and less tired. Sorry to say, it took months for me, but I had absolutely no experience managing entire classes (had only subbed maybe 3 times up to that point).

7. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Companion

Nov 7, 2017

I wish I was exhausted after a day of teaching---I just get so hungry I down an entire pizza. Freakin Dominoes 2 for 5.99....

Backroads and svassillion like this.
  8. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Nov 7, 2017

It’s a universal feeling

9. rpan

rpan Comrade

Nov 8, 2017

You will get quicker at lesson planning and adapting/modifying/creating resources as you gain more experience. You have to be prepared to stick it out for the first couple of years.
    I’m pretty much exhausted every weekday night and on average I go to bed before 9pm (closer to 8pm) every night or I just wouldn’t be able to drag myself out of bed in the morning. Needless to say I have given up my weekday social life. The exhaustion is not just physical but it’s also mental. But it’s part and parcel of the job. It becomes your new normal.

10. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Comrade

Nov 8, 2017

Let me give you the advice my mentor gave me, and it was probably the best advice I received — digitize everything!!! Seriously. Some teachers make the mistake of either handwriting their lesson plans/handouts or they type them and don’t save them.

I saved everything on my flash drive my first year and now I just modify and tweak everything as necessary. I also wrote notes of what works and what didn’t. This is so useful!

To clarify, I have folders separated by class; for example: Advanced Pre-Algebra, Algebra 1, Geometry, Algebra 2, Trig/Pre-Calculus, AP Calc (which has two subfolders AB and BC), AP Stats, Applied Math, and Stats. Then, within each folder I have subfolders titled Practice Quizzes, Practice Tests, Handouts, Summary Sheets, In-Class Activities, Warm-up/Bell-Ringers, SAT/ACT Prep, Mid-Chapter Quizzes, Chapter Tests, AP Review (if applicable), Spiral Review, Chapter/Lecture Notes (separated by lesson and chapter), and Formative Assessments.

Then, I have two other folders titled Lesson Plans and Yearly Overviews. For the lesson plans, I now just change the dates and write in accommodations for students. The yearly overview is really helpful because it helps pace you for the entire year — this is crucial when you write your lesson plans and it cuts down on time because if you know you have to complete Chapter 1 in two weeks, for instance, then you know how to structure your lesson plans for those two weeks. It makes it so easy!!!

Make the yearly overviews over the summer and you will barely ever have to write lesson plans again. This is my fourth year and my lesson planning and prep now only take 1 hour per week. All my files are in Microsoft Word or a PDF so I just print and I’m ready to go.

Back everything up in case you forget or lose your flash drive. I have a backup on my Google Drive and I always carry a laptop to work in case the school computers are not working.

Good luck and digitize everything!!!

Edit: I have a lesson plan template that I use. It is a 6x11 grid (6 rows, 11columns with top left cell blank; also, the five weekdays are located below the top left cell) and the top row headings are as follows: Objective(s), Anticipatory Set, SAT/ACT Prep, Lesson of the Day, Guided Practice, Assessing for Understanding, Standards Covered (Common Core, AP, etc.), Homework, Materials/Resources Needed, Accommodations.

I hope I was helpful to you.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  11. vickilyn

vickilyn Maven

Nov 8, 2017

During your practicum, when you note something good, interesting, or innovative, compliment those using it and ask if they would mind if you borrowed it for a future lesson. Teachers "borrow" from each other all the time, but it is really nice to ask when possible. Not everything on TPT is wonderful, and if you have a good rapport with your mentor and the team that teaches that grade, you can come out with valuable resources. I 100% agree with keeping a digital copy that is easy to edit of any and all material that you use, create, or borrow. Don't keep reinventing the wheel.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  12. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Comrade

Nov 8, 2017

Thank you all so much for the advice! I really hope that I am cut out for this and I do love my students.

Thank you for the advice about an organizational system. I've only been going once a week, but I haven't saved any handouts or anything. I'm going to buy a binder for handouts and create a flash drive with any lessons I make.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  13. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Comrade

Nov 8, 2017

Believe in yourself. The key thing to remember is that you are human and will make mistakes. I make plenty of them. Try to treat every day as a fresh start, even with students who continually misbehave. I am glad that I recognize that I have good days and bad days and everything in between sometimes. As Dory the Fish says, “Just keep swimming.”

14. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Nov 9, 2017

Forget the flash drive and go with Google Drive.

15. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Fanatic

Nov 9, 2017

Teaching is exhausting, but in a good way. I come home every day tired, but knowing that I worked hard and gave everything I could.

AlwaysAttend and mathmagic like this.