Exciting Eclipse Information!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Obadiah, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Obadiah

Obadiah Cohort

Jul 12, 2017

The total eclipse that will be visible in much of the U.S., Aug. 21, is being celebrated by the U.S. Postal System with a new stamp, available now. The stamp is a dark (of course) photo of an eclipse, but when you put your finger on the stamp, the moon suddenly becomes brighter and visible. (pp. 6-7, USA Philatelic 2017, Volume 23, Summer: < www.usps.com > or call 1-800-782-6724). The catalogue also has a map of the area which will see the total eclipse, which would make a great bulletin board item even after the event for next year.

Also, I read the other day on NBC News, public libraries will be offering free viewers for safely viewing the eclipse. Viewing without special protection (sunglasses will not work!) will either cause permanent blindness (50% chance) or other serious eye damage, the same as eye exposure to regular sunlight, it's just that you don't feel pain in looking at an eclipse unprotected. Another method is the pinhole method with your back to the eclipse. The total portion of the eclipse will last about 1-2 minutes.

My astronomer friend told me that some areas outside of the path will still see a significant eclipse. He works in a small store and the staff plans to halt business and step outside to view it. My mother told me that when she was younger, she and her mother were sitting on their neighbor's front porch during a significant eclipse, not that they were watching for it, just sitting and talking as they always did. The neighbor knew nothing about the coming occurrence and when it suddenly seemed that nighttime was falling in the middle of the day, she became quite alarmed. She thought it must be the end of the world! My grandmother assured her it was just an eclipse as predicted in yesterday evening's paper.

SageScience, otterpop and rpan like this.
  3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 12, 2017

I once used binoculars with the large end pointed toward the sun to project the image of an eclipse through a skylight to the floor below the one on which I was standing. The bigger the distance from the magnifier to the projection surface, the bigger the image. One can see some amazing detail that way.

Obadiah and SageScience like this.
  4. vickilyn

vickilyn Maven