EWwww...Bugs in my dried pasta!! (a little long)

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TeacherSandra, Sep 8, 2008.

1. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2008

This was the reason that I decided to keep my pasta in the freezer; this had happened to me once before and I was so grossed out, I couldn't think straight.
    One night I was watching the water start to boil, so I added the pasta....everything turned a cloudy white. Ewww...what is this, I thought. Then I saw what seemed to be little tiny larva boiling away!!!!!!!! Yucko; everything got tossed out. I determined that these were those yucky bugs that people talked about getting into their dried pasta which I had never experienced my whole life!!!

So now, when I purchase pasta, into the freezer it goes. Well; tonight, the water was boiling away and I dumped my spaghetti noodles; eeegads!! 3 full-grown bugs! yucko.

ok; help. Obviously, these bugs were already full-grown when I purchased the pasta. Ewww...

3. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Sep 8, 2008

yummy protein! lol

I would have been grossed out too. I will never get pre-cut fruit from the grocery store for that reason. I was eating my fruit bowl, and I see small larval bugs wiggling in the honey dew melon....YUCK!!!

4. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 8, 2008

Oh gross. I remember this happened when I cooked quinoa. I found half a maggot. I haven't eaten this grain since. BLEH! And double BLEH for the bugs already being in your bag!!! :eek:

5. frogger

frogger Devotee

Sep 8, 2008

yuck!

6. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 8, 2008

Ewwwwwwwwwwww... bleh!!!! Well, I have a good reason to not eat bugs. I'm a vegan. But you all are meat eaters. Come on! Bugs have lots of protein. :p

7. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Sep 8, 2008

Yuck! I am so glad I haven't experienced this, but know I get to imagine it :p

8. Turtle321

Turtle321 Companion

Sep 8, 2008

OMG, this happened to me the other night! EWWWWWWW!! And this was a new box I purchased that day, and left on the counter for that evening's meal. EW. EW. EW.

It makes me so mad that groceries are too darn expensive anyway, and then to have it go to waste because of spoiled food!

Now when I get home from the store I put my pasta in a ziplock baggie...if any of those critters are in there they can't get out and get me! :p

In the freezer, huh? I'll have to try that.

9. JustMe

JustMe Guru

Sep 8, 2008

You can, of course, put the pasta in the freezer, but usually the critters are already long-dead by the time you buy the pasta/flour/cerea/etc. Because some bugs shed their skin several times, those are often left in the food as well. I don't know the numbers, but bug parts are allowable in food products, because it is, after all, natural. :)

But seriously, I think it is very gross as well. I don't like bugs.

10. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 8, 2008

If your boxe of pasta was just bought, you should return it and write the company. They usually send you some free product coupons. Besides, they need to know about this.

11. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 8, 2008

I heard about this a long time ago, but chose to block it out of my memory. Thanks for the reminder. :thumb::D:rolleyes:

12. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Sep 8, 2008

Ditto. The companies need to know about problems with their products. How else will they know they have them?

Another ewwwwwwww factor (one one of the final factors in my boycott of wal-mart). I bought a bunch of HB and HD buns for a party, and when I opened them, I found that several of them had been chewed through by rodents. I went through all the bread products I had purchased that day and they ALL had chew marks on them. I no longer shop at wal-mart.

13. goldminegirl

goldminegirl Rookie

Sep 8, 2008

:lol: OM...this is such a great place...I have read about broken hearts, great teaching ideas, and now bugs in pasta! I love it! I will not mention any of my bug/maggot experiences during my dog sled days...but I will say that I munched a bunch of broccoli before my husband at the time said "Ah...there are little green bugs in that...you might want to wash it out first"! This is the same husband who got up to get me a glass of water one night when I was very pregnant and brought me my older son's spit cup! :spitwater: (it was by the grace of God that I was so pregnant I could not end his life right then and there)! We are however divorced...although good friends.

14. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Sep 9, 2008

I love this place too! :love:
    oh my gosh; that's hilarious and gross! (your son's spit cup); hehe
    And I think it's wonderful that you and your ex are good friends, Goldminegirl. :hugs:

15. myangel52

myangel52 Comrade

Sep 9, 2008

Once, when I was younger (teenager), I got up early for school and was making breakfast. I poured the cream of wheat into the bowl and was about to add water to put it into the microwave when I realized that it was moving!!!!

Naturally, I freaked out, and my parents had to go through EVERYTHING in the kitchen and scrub the cabinets and determine what food was okay to keep and what wasn't. There were weevils in so much stuff.

I have never seen them again, in any place that I have lived. But I am still checking cream of wheat and cornmeal when I pour it out to see if it is okay before I use it. It gives me the creeps even now. Seriously -- I pour it into the bowl, and wait for a few minutes to see if it moves. It was so gross.

16. MrsWbee

MrsWbee Companion

Sep 9, 2008

I would definitely let the company know! Write them a letter pronto. I would also call the store where you bought the pasta and explain what happened; I know some grocery stores will replace your product (and usually with a different brand, :lol: )

17. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Sep 9, 2008

Today I checked my brown rice more thoroughly than you would believe before cooking :eek:

18. Turtle321

Turtle321 Companion

Sep 9, 2008

I am checking EVERYTHING too. What scares me is the stuff you CAN'T see. (Sorry to gross anyone out :p)