Everyday Math

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by CatieCat, Sep 16, 2007.

1. CatieCat

CatieCat Rookie

Sep 16, 2007

Hello,

I am teaching Everyday Math to my students, and I really like the program. Howevr, I have about 5 students who finish their work before everyone else. I am looking for some activities that I can have these gifted students doing. I don't want to just provide them with extra work...I want them to be challenged. Any ideas!?:)

3. Ms.T

Ms.T Comrade

Sep 16, 2007

I have the same problem! I don't have a great solution yet, but I have introduced 2 math games that are fun and easy (Addition Top-It and Turn Over 10) so far, and I plan on introducing number scrolls this week. I will have those as options for early finishers. I might also include challenge sheets for those who want to do them; some kids do like worksheets, so they could do it if they want. Or maybe Sodoku for kids - the kids who finish early are generally smart enough to do those.

4. mrs100

mrs100 Comrade

Sep 16, 2007

I had the same problem last year, and I started a "Challenge Center". It's available to everyone, but like you said, there are those few that finish early. All it is is several worksheets that cover things we have covered in Math. I take them mostly out of Mailbox magazines and Teacher's Helper. It's a great way to let them choose one, and then turn it in for a sticker. I change out the worksheets every week, and they reflect our focus in Math for that week. I made some of those number chart puzzles by using the blank master copy from the teacher's manual, some color by addition facts, and anything that is math, but still fun!

5. jellokites

jellokites Rookie

Sep 16, 2007

I taught 4th grade a few years ago with Eveyday math. For those kids that finished early, they were allowed to play the games that the program had. For 4th grade baseball multiplication was a big hit. I am not sure what you have at 2nd grade...but maybe give it a try. ;)

6. mrs100

mrs100 Comrade

Sep 16, 2007

My only problem with letting the ones who finish play the card game is that is distracts my struggling math students much more than if they work on something independently. Just a thought!

7. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Sep 16, 2007

I had my kids do their own number scrolls. I believe in the second grade EDM program the kids do a class number scroll. I made extra copies of the sheet and when they were finished early, they could work on their own. I would set goals for them like, "Lets see how far you are by winter break." etc. They enjoyed it and it was a meaningful activity.

8. cmorris

cmorris Comrade

Sep 17, 2007

EDM has a website for their games. If your school has an account, plug in headphones and there you go!

9. CatieCat

CatieCat Rookie

Sep 19, 2007

That is what I have been doing this week. I had two students that I put on the computer to play the games. But, I can not but feel bad for students who will not get to play the games. I may set up a schedule and let some of those students get on the computers during SSR.