Ever seen a schedule like this?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by viola_x_wittrockiana, Aug 2, 2017.

1. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Companion

Aug 2, 2017

So I interviewed at a high school today and one of my questions is always about block or regular scheduling. Well, this school has what the P called modified block in a way I've never heard of before. Monday, Tuesday, and Friday have 8 regular periods; Wednesday and Thursday have 4 even/odd block periods. I don't think I'd mind it, but it seems strange to me.

3. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Aug 2, 2017

We have several high schools in the district I work in that do this. My middle school is switching to this schedule next year. The science teachers are particularly happy, as it gives enough time once a week to complete a lab. I'm trying to figure out how to add some small group instruction/intervention into my plans, and I think pulling students in groups during part of a weekly 80 minute block might work.

4. novaguy1968

novaguy1968 MS English Educator

Aug 2, 2017

I think my new school does this. I think all classes meet on Monday, then block on Tuesday/Thursday and Wednesday/Friday.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 2, 2017

That is not at all uncommon. Many teachers like that type of schedule because it is sort of the best of both worlds. There are a few longer periods that are great for labs or performances or long assessments. The shorter periods are great for shorter activities.

6. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 3, 2017

I've seen it before, and I would love it! Definitely the best of both worlds to me.

7. a2z

a2z Phenom

Aug 3, 2017

Yes. I've seen it. I've also seen the class order rotate on different days on the modified block schedule so no class is at the same time during the week. The idea is that not everyone does well at a specific time a day so no one will be stuck with math first thing in the morning all week.

8. Mshope2012

Mshope2012 Companion

Aug 3, 2017

Never heard of it. Honestly, I like having my 50 minute or so class every day at the same time. I've been in school where we had a rotating schedule or alternating days 1 and 2. It may work at the high school level, but for middle school, the kids were always so confused!

I know block schedules are in fashion, but I think 90 minutes is too long for a lot of people.

9. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Aug 3, 2017

I like when research dictates decision making. Last I read, attention span is 18 minutes plus age. So 18 + 15 year old is 33 minutes. Figure 3 minutes for settling and another 3 for ending and you've got about 40 minutes. Obviously you do different things during class where students become refocused and reengaged so you would extend beyond 40. I hope there are significant changes going on in a classroom in order to hold attention for 90 minutes.

With all that said, this is not a topic of interest so I haven't read a lot on why block schedules became en vogue. There might be a great reason. Hopefully not just based on resource scarcity.

10. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 3, 2017

This is really interesting. I think I would like it a lot. I know my last period kids are usually really drained. I'd be curious to see how they did on a rotating schedule!

11. a2z

a2z Phenom

Aug 4, 2017

Drained because it is the end of a day. It wasn't enough rotation to really do anything great. It only rotated 2 days a week.

I see stable times allowing to get to know the students at that time of day. Now you have to learn the drained behaviors of each class and tailor teaching to them. It takes longer to understand that situation because you only have that ever so often.

12. vickilyn

vickilyn Maven

Aug 4, 2017

I enjoyed block classes when you had the same kids every day, but I am science, so lots of hand's on stuff just waiting to be done. The blocks were going to be changed after I left to some crazy system of part blocks/half blocks. Must have worked out, or they figured it out - my friends are still there.

13. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 4, 2017

Interesting. I imagined it rotating more often. It would take more time, but I could see it really benefiting some kids. I always tried to schedule my harder classes between 10-1 when I was in school. It's when I function best for sure!

14. physteach

physteach Companion

Aug 4, 2017

I attended a high school that used mixed block. The way they implemented was a nightmare and they ended up changing to a rotating schedule. The last high school I worked in used a 7D2 schedule.

15. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Companion

Aug 4, 2017

From a teaching standpoint, I think I'd like it, but I can see it being a problem for some students. The student I've been with for the last two years would have struggled a lot with a schedule like that. It took him a good 3-5 weeks to settle in each semester on a regular schedule because of his ASD.

The way my HS did block was kind of the best of both worlds. Ours was a self-selected opt-in, but only SS and ELA freshman and sophomore years. We did a double period (100 mins) with a break in the middle, changing classes at the quarter instead of semester. They also offered "combo", which was SS/ELA taught together in a double room with a removable wall.

16. Fun_Teacher

Fun_Teacher Companion

Aug 8, 2017

I have seen this format of scheduling used in an elementary school. However, not in a high school or middle school. In my school district, the high schools have five blocks, lunch, homeroom, and passing times. In the middle schools, there is homeroom, lunch, 8 periods, and passing times.
    Note: Middle Schools alternate every other day.
    Note: High Schools follow the same every other day pattern, however there is always one class or so that is once every four days.