Ever lose your cool with a parent?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Moldy Peach, Sep 24, 2012.

1. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Sep 25, 2012

Nope, not yet. :rolleyes:

Most of the time when I have an irate parent it just surprises me to the point where I don't know what to do/say. One time I had a parent scream at me on the phone and I was just shocked. I was like "is this lady seriously screaming at me over nothing?" jaja

2. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Sep 25, 2012

Thanks.

3. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Sep 25, 2012

You are on a roll.

4. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 25, 2012

Not at school, but at a 4-way stop. This guy was irate when I went before he did, so he followed me at a high speed down the highway and when he got up next to me, HOLLERED, some obscenities. I burst into laughter and he didn't know what to do, so he drove off! I laughed all the way home.

5. Geauxtee

Geauxtee Comrade

Sep 25, 2012

I don't flip the bird anymore because I am always afraid that person will have a gun and shoot at me. haha

Anyway, we've all made mistakes -- don't beat yourself up about it.

6. a2z

a2z Maven

Sep 26, 2012

You are welcome. :D

Regarding THIS mistake showing he is trying... How does this quote apply to the OP's situation? What exactly is he trying? Is he learning how to communicate in the adult world in a professional capacity and the flipping of the bird shows that he is trying a new skill but failed?

Fact is, for students that are fearful of trying new things and are attempting them but getting them wrong, I think it is a wonderful quote. But again, in the OP's situation of flipping off a parent IN THE SCHOOL PARKING LOT, how is this quote relavent?

7. a2z

a2z Maven

Sep 26, 2012

Regarding not wanting to flip someone off in front of a child you love.....

Again, I was interested in learning if you find it acceptable to do this in front of strangers or children in general? I found your qualification very interesting leaving me wondering if you find it acceptable in the case of the non-qualified part.

If you find it acceptable, so be it. But I found it interesting you qualfied it.

8. GemStone

GemStone Habitué

Sep 26, 2012

I have not, but I had a dream last night that all the parents hated me and administration called me into the office to explain myself.

9. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Sep 26, 2012

My job description includes the following bullets:

Work tactfully and harmoniously with staff, parents, students, and/or public
    Maintain composure
    Maintain a high standard of professional conduct

I feel that if I had responded in such a way to a parent I would have been suspended pending a competency hearing. I may not be fired, but my evaluation would certainly make it so that they could fire me at the end of the year. Teachers have been removed from my school for far less severe things. If a student behaved that way, they would be suspended for at least three days and likely put on a behavior plan. I find the behavior inexcusable, and I think the OP will be lucky to continue in her current position.

10. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Sep 26, 2012

Although I have been sorely tempted, I have not reacted in that manner toward anyone, parent or otherwise, during my teaching career. If I am not mistaken, my district (and many, many others) have morality clauses in teacher contracts that could be used against a teacher who committed such an act. I'm not saying that your district will use it against you. Just that it is wise to consider such things - some teachers have been fired because of unwise statements or posting pictures on FB that were found objectionable by parents/admin. Like it or not, we are held to a higher standard of behavior.

11. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Sep 26, 2012

Actually it was me you were baiting. I think you knew what I meant...but for the record, I don't feel that it is something I would or should be proud of doing or want any child to see me do.

12. a2z

a2z Maven

Sep 26, 2012

I wasn't trying to bait. I really wanted to know why you specified 'a child you loved'. I really wanted to understand why that child would be any more important than a child you didn't know.

13. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 26, 2012

I bet most everyone else understood mrachelle's message...

14. a2z

a2z Maven

Sep 26, 2012

That's great, justMe. I didn't understand why she clarified it. I still don't understand why she clarified it. So, since you understood so well, why don't you explain why a clarification of 'a child I love' seeing that is any worse than a child that is a stranger.

15. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 26, 2012

Why don't I not bother...

16. a2z

a2z Maven

Sep 26, 2012

I didn't expect you would. You just wanted to insult me with your previous comment and play superior.

17. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 26, 2012

:rolleyes:

I won't respond further.

18. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Sep 27, 2012

Of all the people we could accuse of acting superior on this board, you are going to call out Just me? Seriously?

I haven't been on this board as much because I have been visiting a lot of wedding boards. Coming back today, I seriously can't believe the judgment on this board. We usually start to get snarky with each other in the spring as the school year wears us down - this is September. By spring, we are going to be ripping people to shreds. One might be above giving someone an arbitrary finger gesture, but that clearly doesn't make one above these sanctimonious, smug little comments. Why do you have to comment at all? Is there a rule that says you have to apply to every post? Do you have a post # you are trying to get to? The OP was asking for people to share similar stories - if you don't have one, GO TO THE NEXT THREAD.

I'll be over at wedding wire. This just isn't a nice place to be anymore.

19. mclaugcr

mclaugcr Companion

Sep 27, 2012

:yeahthat: I had been away for a couple of years, but came back this summer b/c of a new job. There is WAY too much snarkiness on here anymore. I think I will be finding a new place that is more tolerant.

20. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 27, 2012

Please check your PMs.