Evaluation- is this legal?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by waterfall, Nov 28, 2012.

1. waterfall

waterfall Phenom

Nov 28, 2012

Today we had new teacher pd and I was talking to one of my friends who teaches in another grade level. She said that the P marked her as "unsatisfactory" for part of her evaluation based on the fact that she "doesn't stay after school enough." Our contract hours end at 4. We do have several "family" events through the school, but it's been made very clear through the union that they can't "make" anyone attend them. I've been to about 3/4 of them and got a good score on my evaluation. I remember thinking it wasn't really fair to rate on that, but I don't think the P likes me and was just thrilled/surprise that my scores were so good so I didn't say anything. My friend was also told that she "looks depressed" at school and this is making other staff uncomfortable. With two "unsatisfactory" marks, she can be put on an improvement plan.

I was trying to get her to talk to the union reps (one is my grade level teammate, and she is wonderful) but she is afraid that if she files a grievance the P will make things even worse for her. Has anyone dealt with something similar? Any advice for her?

3. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Nov 28, 2012

She definitely needs to see your rep; those comments would be unacceptable in my district.j

4. creativemonster

creativemonster Companion

Nov 28, 2012

I one hundred percent agree that she should talk to her union rep. Maybe with the union rep he can go through what is legal and what she might want to file a grievance about. Sure, it could get worse...but doesn't she want someone in her camp on this? And that is exactly what the union can be. Oh, I wish her luck. This sounds scary...What the heck could looking depressed mean. Jeez. Didn't know it was part of my job to smile non stop and be a stepford wife. Yikes. how scary.

5. waterfall

waterfall Phenom

Nov 28, 2012

I guess her response to the "looking depressed" comment was that she was really concerned about still having her job next year. The P's response was "well, I have no intentions of firing you right now, but it is a legitimate concern." So she's afraid if she makes a fuss she will get fired for sure. I along with at least 4 other teachers that I know of have heard comments at some point about how we don't look "excited enough" or "happy enough" to be at work. We're a big school and there are lots of teachers I don't have regular contact with at all, so that's just within the 7-8 people I regularly talk to. At some point, you have to realize that maybe the problem is the work environment you're creating and not the employees...

My teammate that is a union rep apparently told the P at their last meeting that she needs to watch how she is talking to/interacting with people because it's coming off as very aggressive. She also said that they'd heard "rumors" of teachers wanting to leave mid-year. Apparently the P was absolutely shocked at that. I have noticed she seems more pleasant around me lately, perhaps because the union rep is my teammate and she knows we're close. However, that obviously didn't help my friend any.

6. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Nov 28, 2012

The problem is that administrators like this never realize they are the ones creating the bad environment and the problems that go with it...like staff looking depressed (think along the lines of Dolores Umbridge running Hogwarts). All they can see is what everyone ELSE is doing wrong and then taking inappropriate measures to correct their "wrong" behavior.

Her reaction shows just how completely unaware she is that HER actions are what is creating the negative environment. The problem, again, is that even when the obvious connection is pointed out to them, they still can't believe they are really doing anything wrong, so I doubt her friendliness will last - but one can always hope.

In the meantime, your friend should absolutely talk with the union rep to learn what her options are.

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Nov 28, 2012

I would definitely have her talk to the union rep.

8. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Nov 28, 2012

I would have her talk to the rep. I will say that when I was non renewed about 6 years ago this one of the things that my principal said to me as well. That I just wasn't a good fit for the school because when I walk down the hall I never said hello to anyone else. That I seemed unfriendly and that I didn't spend time with my team and that I wasn't a team player. I didn't come her office when I needed help. The only part of the statements that were true was the part about not going to her office when I needed help. How could I when her minions were in m my room watching my every move. They would report back to her before I had a chance to go to her. So she would send them to "fix" me. As far as spending time with my team, we all lived within walking distance of each other. We did a lot of planning at our houses after hours. When we were at school we would stay in our rooms and put those plans into place. This just goes to show you that if your principal doesn't come out her office to see what is actually going on her school she will run off or get rid of good solid teachers. BTW I am now in my 4th year at my school where I am a leader and considered very friendly. hahahah

9. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Nov 28, 2012

She needs to talk to the union rep. She is marked unsatisfactory, and if she stays scared of her principal she won't make it. P's like her won't back down unless she is confronted. A good union rep will instruct her on how to stand up to her P.

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Nov 28, 2012

She needs to talk to the union rep. That conversation can be documented. If it ever happens that the teacher is let go or given some sort of punishment, that documentation might serve as evidence of retaliation. It might actually end up being what preserves the teacher's employment, not what gets the teacher fired.

11. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Nov 29, 2012

Do you guys have any kind of written criteria when it comes to evaluations?

I know we are told that our contribution to campus activities is required, however, that's only their interpretation of that strand. If they ever took off points for that, I'd definitely fight it. I also wasn't aware of any teacher qualification program that says you have to be Miss Perky all the time, however if that was what they were looking for I think I would start being way over the top "undepressed" just to be obnoxious....but that's me. ;)

12. waterfall

waterfall Phenom

Nov 29, 2012

We have written standards, but they're very vague. For the one that she was marked down on, it basically just says that the staff member will communicate regularly and build positive relationships with families. It doesn't say anything about attending after school events.

Your "miss perky" reminded me...one of my teammates was also told in a nutshell that she needs to "make more friends" outside of our grade level (I was told the same thing). Her response was that she gets along with _____ really well and is really close to them- and proceeds to list off every high-ranking union member including the head of the entire organization. I thought that was hilarious- I love my team!

13. SassyTeach

SassyTeach Rookie

Dec 3, 2012

With a P like that, how could she NOT look depressed?!?

Definitely see if she could visit with the rep.

P.S. I LOVE KinderCowgirl's "over the top undepressed" comment! :)

14. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Dec 4, 2012

Ugh...I hate hearing about this type of thing. My mom, who isn't in education at all, has a boss who constantly tells her she doesn't "smile enough" and is not "chatty enough" with her co-workers. Seriously? Do you want people to do their jobs or do you want them to create a fake Disney movie where everyone sings and dances all day?

I'm not surprised that the P was shocked that people want to leave. People like this never see their own contributions to the problems.

I agree with other posters that your friend should talk to the union. At least find out if the principal can rate her down on not working extra hours. Even if she's meeting all of the contract requirements, the P still may be able to note that she's not going "above and beyond." Some people think working longer is the same as working harder. If the principal was out of line in using this as a basis for rating performance, somebody needs to straighten her out so she's not creating unnecessary stress for the staff.