Etiquette -- Giving Books

Discussion in 'General Education' started by mathmagic, Sep 7, 2017.

1. mathmagic

mathmagic Connoisseur

Sep 7, 2017

Very strange question, perhaps:

A fellow teacher, in their first year, doesn't have that many books in their classroom library. I happened to just get $500 to spend on Scholastic (which will probably lead to also getting tons of extra bonus points), and while I'll definitely spend some on my class library, I wanted to pay it forward and also play into the whole "be kinder than is necessary" theme that I start my class with each year.

I was thinking of making somewhat of a surprise, though (just not telling that there's books coming). Do you think there's a chance of the teacher not being happy with it?

Obadiah likes this.
  3. bella84

bella84 Fanatic

Sep 7, 2017

Only if the teacher hates categorizing and labeling books as much as I do.

Sounds like a nice gesture one would appreciate otherwise.

Obadiah likes this.
  4. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Sep 7, 2017

Go for it!

Obadiah likes this.
  5. cocobean

cocobean Companion

Sep 7, 2017

I loved any book donations I got my first year, and most were used! I would be happily overwhelmed with new books! I say do it!

Obadiah likes this.
  6. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Sep 7, 2017

I think it's a very nice thing to do, but I wonder if you should tell the teacher rather than waiting for the books to get there as a surprise. I'd be worried about her going out and buying her own books prior to yours getting there.

Obadiah likes this.
  7. heatherberm

heatherberm Comrade

Sep 7, 2017

Oh, goodness, when I was a first year teacher, I was over the moon about every book donation - still am actually. I think it's a great gesture and will probably be greatly appreciated!

Obadiah likes this.
  8. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Sep 8, 2017

I think it's a wonderful gesture, but how about instead of selecting the books, have the teacher select them? You can tell him/her to send you a list of any 20 books that Scholastic has on their site (or $300, or whatever amount you want to share) and you'll order them. Congrats on your win. I won it too and was so excited to get the news yesterday!

mathmagic and Obadiah like this.
  9. Obadiah

Obadiah Habitué

Sep 8, 2017

Wow! This post and the responses made my day! I think this is a wonderful gesture on your part and would be greatly appreciated. I do agree with MsMar that the teacher might need to know beforehand. S/he might also wish to select specific books for the classroom.

While on the subject, I've found several class library resources from yard sales, thrift shops, and library give-aways. The only problem is ensuring the books aren't contaminated with mold or bugs. While attending a local fair, the advertisement booths often have booklets for children or books that are beneficial for classroom use; malls often have safety displays with booklets for children. Also, magazines often have cards to fill out to receive product information through the mail--these often provide an interesting addition to a classroom library. My library included magazine style ads about cars from dealerships, magazine style brochures about travel destinations, sample magazines, etc.

10. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

Sep 8, 2017

I would give her the catalog and say that you'd like to "share the wealth" and have her pick out $100 (or whatever) worth of books for her class! I can't imagine she'd say no thanks. I wouldn't randomly order books for someone though.

11. mathmagic

mathmagic Connoisseur

Sep 8, 2017

Thank you for the advice, everyone! I appreciate the thoughts - and I think I'll change the surprise from the books arriving to perhaps my students letting the teacher(s) (might even help more than one) know to pick out some books! Hopefully I'll even have lots of those books in my "doubles/triples" pile up on top of my cubbies, so I can send over even more books that they're wanting!

Congrats! It was a needed boost of adrenaline in the morning yesterday (I read it just after waking up) :) I love even more that it'll apply towards all the bonuses -- pretty much bound to hit the 10,000 bonus point level now in September, which'll make the $500 go that much further!