ESL Supplement

Discussion in 'General Education' started by mairak, Oct 12, 2017.

1. mairak

mairak Rookie

Oct 12, 2017

Hello All,

I actually had a question about ESL supplement. I passed the exam and now I want to know if I can apply for any school teaching positions with that certification.

Please let me know you thoughts!

Thank you.

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Virtuoso

Oct 12, 2017

What state are you in? Many/most states allow you to teach ESL in your other certificated content areas, some will allow you to teach ESL in any subject as long as you have a content area certificate, and I am sure that there are other versions that are even more different than what I already know about. Where you are will make all of the difference in how this question is answered.

4. mairak

mairak Rookie

Oct 12, 2017

Thank you for the reply!!
    I am in Houston TX. I did pass the exam and now I am wondering if I can apply for positions. Name of my exam is "ESL supplement" exam.

5. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Oct 12, 2017

Have you applied for certification?

6. mairak

mairak Rookie

Oct 18, 2017

I've been told there's no certification for that. Is that true? or should I call in again and say to add it or something?

Thank you

7. vickilyn

vickilyn Virtuoso

Oct 18, 2017

I'm going to take a stab at this. ESL in Texas is different from being an ESL teacher in some other states. In TX, is is a supplemental certificate, and I am guessing that means you can teach ESL in any content that you hold a certificate for, but not for content areas that you don't posses. So if you are an Elem. Ed. teacher, you can teach ESL in Elem. Ed., but if you are asked to teach ESL in MS, and you lack that content certificate, you can't teach it there unless you pass the state tests and requirements to teach MS. By contrast, in NJ, ESL is a stand alone certificate, so the content is ESL. Your ESL certificate is most like our TOSD certificate, which is teacher of students with disabilities. I can teach SPED in any of my content certificates, but not teach, say, HS Math, since I lack that content certificate. However, I can teach SPED in ESL, since I have both certificates and ESL is a content certificate in NJ.

I would suggest that you contact TEA and ask them what, if anything, you need to do to officially be certified to teach ESL and what qualifiers there may be that you don't already know. When my son earned certificates in TX, TEA was a great resource to explain the in's and out's since it wasn't just like NJ. My gut feeling is that there will need to be an actual certificate involved either on paper or in their system to assure hiring districts that you are, indeed, able to teach ESL in your content areas. Best of luck.