ESE & English 6-12 FTCE/SAE

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by Teeko, Dec 5, 2015.

1. Teeko

Teeko New Member

Dec 5, 2015

Hey,

Is there anyone out there who can help me with studying for these exams? Hello...Hello

Educator38 and Kristina Miller like this.
  3. Lit Girl

Lit Girl Rookie

Mar 1, 2016

Yes, please email me and I'll send you some info on the test and specific q's I took today. For some reason, when I try to post it, the site blocks my content

piscis18 and simskb like this.
  4. Lit Girl

Lit Girl Rookie

Mar 1, 2016

There were a lot of crappy choices, and I felt grossly under prepared, which I absolutely was not. Based on previous test takers, I studied hardcore with the teaching strategies and literary terms. To have only 5-7 questions on these was beyond frustrating. The test did not replicate the state practice exam in any way. You have go to get very, very specific and know things/questions that are not located in any book, website or practice guide. I legitimately have no idea how to study as most of the questions seemed incredibly detailed for a test which consists of only 80 questions. My study guide/book had 400 pages!! Yes, I eliminated the answers that were obviously incorrect, but I found that many of these had more than one correct answer, and that they were looking for the BEST answer.

simskb likes this.
  5. Lit Girl

Lit Girl Rookie

Mar 1, 2016

Just came home from taking the FTCE English 6-12 (a new format in Florida), and am HIGHLY frustrated. I think I aced the written essay, but that score is separate from the written/multiple choice so I won't find out my score for a few weeks. Wanted to pass along some specific questions and info that was asked, as the test in Florida changed in 2015. Sadly, the state still provides an outdated study guide, and there are NO current study guides for the revised test. I went in figuring that worst case, if I did not pass, at least I would get an idea of what areas I needed to focus on. That didn't happen. The test is nuts and feel free to read on to understand why.

I did not pass the written exam but don't know my score yet----but with only 80 questions, there is a LOT of information out there. If you had asked me yesterday how confident I was, I would have said 90% sure I would pass based on all the studying and preparing I did, via various avenues. I knew the knowledge and was sure that I would pass. About 5 questions in, I realized how screwed I was.

First, let me tell you what I DID study:

* Elmer's notes, courtesy of this site. I knew 100% of the lit terms and every single teaching method---along with the concept of how to apply each applicable strategy (guided instruction, task analysis, etc)

* The NESINC Florida practice exam. Taken and passed several times. (*Note: the exam did not resemble the practice test THEY provided one single iota).

* The NESINC Florida study guide: Checked off every single point in the outline as I "mastered the skill."

* StudyStack website: Can I just say that I LOVED this site! Load of FREE practice tests, and comprehensive testing in several different formats (matching, crossword, quizzes, etc), on the subjects I *thought* would be most prevalent on the exam (poetry/literary terms, teaching strategies, vocab, grammar, prewriting, etc). *****************StudyStack is a wonderful website and it truly helped me retain and apply everything I learned. And it made it more fun! I would highly recommend this site either way, and I will probably continue working on different subjects to strengthen my capabilities****************

I feel like there were SO MANY "best answer" subjective questions on this test, and for someone like me, who is on a career-change track, it was difficult to even weed out the wrong answers. After studying all of the information, I am very deflated with the available information. Here are some questions/info I jotted down right after taking the test, hopefully these help someone out!::::

Strandm2 and simskb like this.
  6. simskb

simskb New Member

Mar 2, 2016

Thanks for introducing me to Study Shack, and I admire your memory!! I take it March 23rd! UGH

7. Lit Girl

Lit Girl Rookie

Mar 2, 2016

You'll do great!!!

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 2, 2016

I am an A to Z moderator. Some posts on the Examinations for Teachers forum recently have been moderated for posting actual specific test questions: the teacher test companies can and do monitor this site for that sort of thing and can and do take action against test takers; that action can include voiding test scores, and I'd hate to see that happen to anyone. Some other posts have been moderated for including email addresses: spambots do prowl public forums looking for that sort of thing, and the site owner (who I am not) prefers that those spambots not be encouraged.

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 2, 2016

10. Lit Girl

Lit Girl Rookie

Mar 2, 2016

Thank you for letting me know, there will be no communication regarding specific questions.

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 2, 2016

With that said, it's perfectly possible to discuss issues with the content that's tested. We've had detailed discussions of how to analyze a poem that I posted; I've held forth on a wide range of concepts in linguistics, including the proper use of apostrophes indicating possession; in threads inspired by other tests, we've dealt with how to balance chemical equations and factors in supply vs. demand. Mentioning a general category that one should know isn't out of bounds, provided the specific question is left, um, unspecified.

12. Kristina Miller

Kristina Miller Rookie

Mar 15, 2016

Hi lit girl!
    I am taking the text this Friday and would love whatever other feedback you had! I can't figure out how to private message you about this, but please feel free to email me!! :) And thank you so much for your post! :)

13. Lit Girl

Lit Girl Rookie

Mar 15, 2016

What's your email address? I can send you some study guides I've put together

14. Kristina Miller

Kristina Miller Rookie

Mar 15, 2016

It's not allowing me to post my reply? Possibly because I included my email?

15. Kristina Miller

Kristina Miller Rookie

Mar 15, 2016

Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
  16. Kristina Miller

Kristina Miller Rookie

Mar 15, 2016

deleted post

Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
  17. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 15, 2016

You might want to delete those and send a private message so you aren't giving your email address to anyone who reads this site. Hint, hint, there are 720 people reading this site and only 6 of us are members.

18. Kristina Miller

Kristina Miller Rookie

Mar 15, 2016

I would, but I can't figure out how to privately message someone. I don't typically go around giving out my email! :)

Lit Girl likes this.
  19. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 15, 2016

Kristina, you need a few more posts under your belt in education or test subforums before you can initiate private messages, or what the new A to Z forum software calls "conversations". So does Lit Girl.

20. Mrs.GatorGirl

Mrs.GatorGirl New Member

Mar 17, 2016

Hi There!
    I'm taking the test next Friday and am slightly freaking out after reading these posts!
    Hello Lit Girl!
    I am also taking the test this month on the 25th and am worried about experiencing the same thing that happened to you. I have been using the practice tests on exam edge. I found them to e very helpful for the General Knowledge Math test but since the English subject area has changed recently, I am concerned.
    I was trying to message you privately but couldn't figure it out. If it's not too much to ask, I would greatly appreciate your assistance and insight!
    Thank you either way in advance!
    Warm Regards!

21. Lit Girl

Lit Girl Rookie

Mar 18, 2016

There is a thread on here if you search "Elmers Notes" which has quite a bit of info. I liked Study Stack website for practice tests and it's a free site which is fantastic---Matching, quizzes and flashcards, which all were really helpful to me, especially as it was a nice change from just reading a book or flipping through index cards. I thought the ftce study guide and nesinc practice guides were jokes, wouldn't bother with either of those. You will be given specific questions on best teaching method for a certain scenario, so you need to really review the teaching strategies, and also, which cases are best suited for each strategy. There were several mass media questions on my test as well, so know which source is the best for a specific scenario as well. Not so many lit terms, sadly, as I knew about 200 of those. Many questions on specific poems and plays, so know some of the running themes on the popular ones. You will need to know a bit of early history of the English language and periods, this was covered extensively in the book, but not many q's on the test that I took. If you post your email in two separate parts, I can email you the study guide I saved from Elmers notes on this site, as well as just some lit terms, mass media terms and teaching strategy definititions I put together. I'll respond right away and then you can delete your email address post.

piscis18 and Mary Navarre like this.