Enough Is Enough!

Discussion in 'Prayer Request Forum' started by Obadiah, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Obadiah

Obadiah Habitué

Sep 20, 2017

This morning I picked up the paper and the front page headline with two gigantic photos told of a shooting--right next door to where I would have been had I not been detained at the doctors! Have people just plain lost their senses? Whatever happened to the quiet community I grew up in?

And here's where my thoughts are taking me. These criminals were once students in somebody's classroom. They started out as cute Kindergarten kids. They were playing kickball at recess in fifth grade. They were sitting in a high school cafeteria tapping their hands on the table to the tune on the jukebox. Now they're either shooting up or shooting others.

So what can we do as teachers? I have a few thoughts. First of all, we can pray for our students, daily, individually. Next we can use our two most powerful weapons--our smile and our ears. We can greet students with a smile and a hearty hello. We can listen when students talk, even encourage them to talk so we can listen. Hearing what happened to SpongeBob might not sound that important to an adult, but to a kid, it is and knowing that someone will listen is even more important. Now let me get a bit controversial, but we can avoid assigning so much homework that kids miss youth meetings during their after school life. Those youth leaders might be the only person at the crossroads in that child's life. And finally, we can put students above standardized tests. What does it profit a school if it obtains higher averages but loses its students in the process?

I'm not saying that teachers or schools are to blame for the current crisis of crime. Teachers get blamed enough for stuff. But I do think we might be able to make a difference, even if we only play a small part. If students were made of Legos, it would take many Legos to build that student, but our small part might be that one Lego that keeps the student standing.

3. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

Sep 20, 2017

I was thinking the same thing. I just read about an incident in a rough city in my county where some teenager went and stabbed a guy in broad daylight for no apparent reason (wasn't robbing him, didn't know him, etc.). I guess he just didn't have his gun on him that day. It's really disgusting how people are behaving.

Obadiah likes this.
  4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 20, 2017

I honestly believe that these are the most important things we can do at school every single day.

Obadiah and bella84 like this.
  5. Obadiah

Obadiah Habitué

Sep 25, 2017

Over the weekend, in the neighborhood where I used to play, where parents saw no danger in allowing us to ride our bikes, walk through the neighboring woods, collect tadpoles from the ponds in the woods, during the night some people tried to break into a person's car. I know this person. Had they truly needed anything, he would have given it to them. The police reported there were several car tamperings in the town that night. Are people that bored that they can't find anything else better to do?

6. IcyRock

IcyRock Rookie

Oct 9, 2017

We know there's a breakdown in the world and we know there's a lot of things out of our control. With the worst mass shooting that's happened in our country, we don't even know why or how to predict and prevent things from happening. So, we have to believe in the power of prayer. It's not passive; it's active. And then we have to be the salt, light and encouragement for the small group of students in our care.

Obadiah likes this.