English project ideas

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by scooter503, Nov 11, 2010.

1. scooter503

scooter503 Comrade

Nov 11, 2010

I know this is vague, but does anyone have any ideas for projects I could do with my language classes? I've always done lots of projects, but I've never taught only English before, and I'm struggling to come up with something. Bonus points for anyone who can incorporate technology ;)

I teach middle school, by the way.

3. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Nov 11, 2010

Have your students create postcards that depict a book in the artwork, then write a message on the other side in the voice of one of the characters. Invent a product and create a sales brochure--persuasive writing practice. Use lunch-sized paper bags and have kids decorate the outside with a physical representation of a character, then fill the bags with small objects and pictures that depict the character's inner life. If you have access to the technology, have them do PowerPoint reports. There are dozens of other ideas here: http://www.webenglishteacher.com/bookreports.html

4. Sshintaku

Sshintaku Comrade

Nov 12, 2010

You can also do Webquests, have them make poetry "books" of their work (or I guess even poetry websites?)

5. SunnyD

SunnyD Rookie

Nov 17, 2010

Right now I do monthly genre book reports. My kids are reading a sports novel and will be creating a locker out of a shoebox for their main character. They have to place 7-10 items in their "lockers" and summarize how those items symbolize the character and events found in the book.

My students are completely JAZZED about the project. They get out writing the traditional essay summary and do a "hands on" project for their report. I will be more than happy to explain it in detail if you want.