english bulletin board ideas

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by katerina03, Jul 29, 2006.

1. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Jul 29, 2006

Hello, does anyone have any bulletin board ideas that they would like to share for a middle school english classroom (grammar, writing, spelling) I've already got several ideas, but nothing that's really creative. Thanks.

3. MrsCAD

MrsCAD Companion

Jul 29, 2006

I will be displaying my students work on my bb. I don't have anything else creative to do!

4. agsrule!

agsrule! Companion

Jul 29, 2006

extra credit essay prompts

I only have 2 bulletin boards, one for school info, and then I create one by just placing the border on the wall. I use that one for extra credit. I have monthly themed bulletin board sets (fall with pumpkins, a turkey, winter, valentines, etc.). I then make die-cuts that go along with the theme. I write essay prompts on the die-cuts then place them within reach on the bulletin board. The students can choose one, and write an essay (at least a page; I'm thinking of making it 2 pages this year) for extra credit. I thought at the beginning of theyear that they would hate the cutesy bulletin boards. But, I went ahead and put up a Bookworm set for back to school. When I took it down towards the end of Sept., it took me a while to get the next one up. They started commenting about how the room didn't look as fun, room was boring, etc. So, I kept it going all year and decided to add essays to it.

5. mrs. dub

mrs. dub Companion

Jul 29, 2006

I have a "Trait of the month", where I showcase one of the lovely "6 Traits of Writing". I usually post some good examples of work that exemplifies the featured trait. I personally really dislike 6 trait writing, but my district loves it.

Another bulletin board I use is a "Literary terms" board. Basically, I write all of the glossary words from our textbook onto bright index cards (one word per card). The board is split into half: one side for "terms we don't know" and one side for "terms we've learned". I move the cards from one side to the other as we learn them. By the end of the year, they're all on one side! This is a good review tool, too.

Then I do almost a whole wall on genres. I use a store bought set for this--it's a big "bookcase" and each shelf explains a different genre. It's colorful and not too juvenile, so I like it in my room. It gives kids something to stare at when their hamsters are on a break!

6. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Jul 29, 2006

Thank you all very much!