Engaging 1st Day activities for 2nd grade

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by heartofateacher, Jul 22, 2007.

1. teachw/faith

teachw/faith New Member

Jun 10, 2010

back to school packet????

I know this was posted years ago, but do you still have the packet?

2. jsgirl

jsgirl Rookie

Jun 15, 2010

Chrysanthemum

We also start with Chrysanthemum - I make a copy of the book cover on paper then the students pass it around as I read - every time someone says/ does something hurtful in the book, the person holding the paper crinkles it up - then passes it to the next person who repeats the process. When someone does/ says something nice in the book, the person holding the paper fixes it (especially at the end). AFter reading, we look at the paper and talk about how it has changed and how we can't really fix it - relate it to how our words/ actions can hurt and we can't ever really "fix" it when we hurt someone.

3. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jun 15, 2010

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Chrysanthemum!!!!! This is a great idea. I also love the idea of having the kids go home and find out where their name came from. Lots of great ideas here!!!!!!!!!!!!:thanks:

4. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jun 15, 2010

I am so glad I stopped by this site. I got some really great ideas. I agree with the others on the handwriting sample at the beginning of the year. We did that and we did it again at the end of the year. It was placed in a portfolio (with a writing sample from the beginning, middle and end of year) for the parents at the end of the year.
    I love the Chrysanthemum idea with the crinkled paper and the name research. So excited!

5. kinderkc

kinderkc Companion

Jul 8, 2010

Love all the great ideas shared here! I have a question about the first day of school...we do a "supply and say hi" night so I've already figured out how they go home,etc.
    What do all of you do (activity wise) when parents are coming in and dropping off their child? Last year I gave them a piece of constriction paper and had them write their name really big and decorate it with things about themselves. Anyone have a more creative idea? It's always a stressful morning bc I'm trying to talk to the parents and make sure the kids are occupied. Especially the ones who's parents don't drop them off.

Thank you!! :)

6. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 8, 2010

I don't have my plan book in front of me but from what I remember:

We usually start with a classmates word search (it's on their tables when they come in the room) along with first day of school coloring pages.
    We also draw ourselves on the first day of first grade (the last day I give them the same sheet but it says, this is me on the last day of first grade)
    I read First Day Jitters to them
    We learn a first day of school poem and they put it in their poetry notebook and illustrate it.
    We read the booky Wemberly Worried and share our excitement and worries about first grade. I introduce a "worries" book that I leave out in the classroom for children to record their worries in.
    We do some exploring of math manipulatives
    I do a school scavenger hunt.
    We put our names up on the word wall and I play some word wall word games.

7. demijasmom

demijasmom Companion

Jul 13, 2010

Really great ideas...can't wait to get back in the classroom. I read Crysanthemum too, we would discuss names, make colorful name tags cut them apart, graph the number of letters in our names and we would see what words we could make from Crysanthemum.

8. RugRats

RugRats Companion

Jul 16, 2010

What a GREAT idea!

9. alwillia

alwillia New Member

Jul 28, 2010

First Day Packet

I would like the first day packet. This will be my 3rd year teaching anf my first year in 2nd grade. My email is : ashley.williamson85@yahoo.com
    Thanks,
    Ashley

10. seattlegirl

seattlegirl New Member

Aug 26, 2010

back to school

Hi! I am new to the website...and new to teaching second grade. I have worked with first graders, for one year, and fourth graders for two years. I would love to see the stuff you have for "back to school" but can't send you a personal message :(

In the past, I have used Chrysanthemum and The Kissing Hand. I have a few other "getting to know you" activities, too.

Can't wait to start connecting with everyone!

11. Wishbone

Wishbone New Member

Sep 2, 2012

Katy,
    I would love to see your back to school activities. My email is betsymeador@comcast.net thanks so much

12. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Sep 3, 2012

13. azteacher66

azteacher66 New Member

Jun 13, 2013

I would love to see what you have. Please send to me at bcooley529@yahoo.com

Thank you so much!

14. mrking47968

mrking47968 Rookie

Jun 17, 2013

Snowball "ice-breaker": have each student get out a piece of paper, DO NOT WRITE THEIR NAME ON IT, but list 5 things about themselves (such as hair color, favorite show, sport, etc.). They then wad up the paper into a ball, and throw it at the chalkboard (they love this). Each student takes a turn, comes up to the front of the room, opens a "snowball" and tries to guess who it is. I learn a lot about them and it easiest the tension of the first day.

15. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jul 16, 2013

We make paper airplanes with our names on them. Then we stand in a circle and fly them. After they land, we pick them up and each student takes someone's plane to their desk and writes a compliment on it for the owner. We fly them 4-5 times and then each child gets his/her own plane back.

16. love teaching

love teaching New Member

Aug 1, 2013

Back to school packet

I am a first year teacher and would love a copy of your packet.. mishabagley7@gmail.com:)