Engaging 1st Day activities for 2nd grade

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by heartofateacher, Jul 22, 2007.

1. iteachm123

iteachm123 Comrade

Jul 26, 2007

Last year on the first day, I read Chrysathemum.As a homework assignment, I had the kids take home a paper that asks the parents how they came up with their child's name. We have a predominantly African-American population in our school so it's always interesting to find out how some of them got such unusual names. The kids think that it's funny that their parents have homework! When they come back in, we sit in a circle and share our information with each other.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2007
  2. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jul 26, 2007

I'm going to start a new thread about calendar time. That way when people do searches, they will be able to find the information easier. Feel free to copy your posts about calendar in that thread.
    2nd Grade Calendar

3. CatieCat

CatieCat Rookie

Jul 29, 2007

I'm a new second grade teacher and will be reading First Day Jitters on the first day. Does anyone have a great follow up activity after reading the book? I thought about discussing what the students felt that morning but I'd like to do some sort of activity with the book. Any help would be great! Thanks!

4. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jul 29, 2007

How about a writing prompt about what the students were nervous about before they came to the classroom?

5. CatieCat

CatieCat Rookie

Jul 29, 2007

Thanks! I like that idea. I also got another idea from a previous post of doing a venn diagram and have the students decide whether they were nervous, excited or both and then turning that into a graphing activity.

Also on a side note...I tried visiting your website to look at your classroom and for some reason the pictures were not loading. Do you think you could post those under the classroom pictures thread? I would love to see your classroom. You did an excellent job with your website!

6. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Jul 29, 2007

This sounds great! I only did a couple of class books last year and the kids loved them...My goal is to make at least 1 per month. I LOVE THIS IDEA...and I DON'T have a bulldog!:D

7. 2ndTimeArnd

2ndTimeArnd Companion

Jul 29, 2007

8. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Jul 29, 2007

beg of the year /end of the year

Last year I had the children brainstorm "what if it never stopped raining?" on the second day (which rained) and then they wrote and illustrated. I let the children share them and then I collected them and stashed them away all year. The very last week, I gave the same assignment THEY REMEMBERED DOING IT BEFORE, BUT I DID NOT TELL THEM WHY THEY HAD TO DO IT AGAIN. When they were finished, I called them to the from and read their beginning of the year papers and then they read their end of the year papers. I finished each one with a big handshake "See how much you've grown!" They giggled over their first attempts and couldn't wait to show everyone how they had become great authors! I sent both home the last full day of school with a note to parents about how much I had enjoyed watching the budding young authors learn the craft!

Last edited: Jul 29, 2007
  9. 2ndTimeArnd

2ndTimeArnd Companion

Jul 29, 2007

10. 2ndTimeArnd

2ndTimeArnd Companion

11. katydid205

katydid205 Companion

Jul 29, 2007

I have a fantastic packet of "Back to School" stuff if anyone is interested. Send me a PM with your e-mail address and I will send it to you. It's 33 pages long, so it may take a moment or two to open it up! But, it's worth it!

12. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Jul 29, 2007

I have fraction pizzas from Pizza Hut (they were left in the room I inherited, but you could make your own). I put up a whole pie that is cut either into halves, fourths, eighths, etc. I give a story problem using one of the childrens' names. "Tommy had a whole pizza. He cut it into____; After he cut it into ____, he ate this many pieces(I take out however many I want). What fraction of the pizza did he eat?" What fraction did he leave for his friend ___?"

I always teach the kids( and maybe everyone does:D) that a fraction bar means "out of" 3 out of 4 1 out of 2....this makes it easy for the kids to do the fractions.

For fractions of a set I put up a set of mini pizzas and I put pepperonis on some of them. We count how many pizzas and put that number under the fraction bar "? out of ____ have pepperoni. ? out _____ do not have pepperoni". To be honest, the high kids catch on quickly and I love that they have a challenge, but soon they mostly all get it. The last quarter, we begin to group them differently so that they can make 2 out of 8 also be 1 out 4. Some get it and others don't, but our curriculum is spiraling so I don't worry about it.

You can pm me if you have more questions.

13. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2007

I plan to read a book to my kids (not sure which book I will choose) and then have them do a writing activity along with an art activity. Then I think I will have them put both inside a "time machine" that we will keep safe all year. I will decorate it in some way and keep the time machine in eye view & keep the kids anticipating opening it as the year goes by. Then on the last day of school, I will open it. Hopefully when the kids read what they wrote, they will remember how they felt on the first day of school. But most importantly, I hope they will be proud of how their writing skills have improved and how "baby-ish" their writing was compared to June!!! I think it will be fun.:p :2up:

14. S Dubb

S Dubb Comrade

Jul 29, 2007

I just sent you a PM and I can't wait to see this packet. Thanks so much! :)

15. Youngteacher226

Jul 29, 2007

Wow Patti! Thanks. I trying to take this all in and reread it, but I get how you do this. I think this will be great to do during calendar math time! How often do you change the pizzas? Like how often do you focus on like 8ths, before you move on to doing 4ths etc. with the kids?

16. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Jul 29, 2007

I intro 1 or 2 per week depending on how they are getting it. ONce they get it, they love it. On special occasions, I put up different things than pizza like pumpkin pies.

17. Youngteacher226

Jul 29, 2007

I love that idea. Thanks. Now I just have to find a way to include a measurement activity:eek:

18. iteachm123

iteachm123 Comrade

Jul 29, 2007

Over the weekend, we were camping with our two little boys with my parents. It was Grandparent's weekend so there were planned activities, one being a balloon launch. Tags were filled out with names and addresses so if the balloons are found, they can be returned. I thought that it would be fun to do that on my first day with my students. We'll fill out our names, ages, and school addresses and send them off. It will be neat to see if we get any returned and if/when we do, we can track them on a map and talk about that state in social studies. They will also be able to learn out school address and how to write it. If we get return addresses, the students can write back and that would a good way to introduce writing letters.

19. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jul 30, 2007

Hmm... I wonder why. I'll post new pictures in the other thread when I have them done. My classroom is going to look a bit different this year. Most of my pictures on the website are of students doing things.

20. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 31, 2007

I do a letter at the end of the first day.

Dear Teacher's Name,

Today was the first day of 2nd grade and I felt ______________.
    I am really excited about_________________. I can't wait to learn
    ___________________________. Will you teach me how to_____.

From your student,
    _______

At the end of the year, I give it back to the students and they respond to what they've written and always get a kick out of how much they've changed and if they really did learn how to do those things. These letters both go into a book I make for the end of the year.