EngageNY math- anyone use this?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by giraffe326, Mar 27, 2014.

1. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Mar 27, 2014

Does anyone, inside or outside of New York, use the EngageNY math curriculum?
    Our math program is terrible and someone told me to look up EngageNY. I like it a L-O-T better than what I was using. This is week 2 and I already see an improvement! However, since I teach K, the worksheets are way too wordy! Not even my best reader can come close to reading it. (It will give a paragraph with fill in the blanks!)

I was wondering how other teachers (K-1 especially) deal with this!

3. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Mar 27, 2014

I noticed it the other day when the teacher that I taught in place of for 3 months was printing off a literacy unit from it.

While I didn't look too deeply (mainly because there'd be no application at this point, given that I'm back to day-to-day subbing), I did glance through a few of the math and literacy units for the upper grades, and thought it was very well done. Definitely something I will heavily consider and maybe even use (with some adaptations) if it is a hole in our district's curriculum, as it is beautifully tied to standards.

4. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Mar 27, 2014

I like parts of it. There's no way I could do all of a lesson in one day, and my math block is longer than theirs. I've found that the time estimates they give are too short. Their pacing is also different from mine, so I have to use bits and pieces or change the numbers in the problems because it incorporates skills we haven't covered yet.

5. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Mar 28, 2014

I used it for part of this year for third grade. I am impressed with the rigor of the curriculum. I adapted it for my students. It is a thorough, comprehensive program and best of all it's free for those of us who have no math books and have to come up with something on our own.

6. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Mar 29, 2014

Love it. I use parts of it, and of course, adapted it when needed for my class. I plan on using it more frequently next year.

7. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Mar 30, 2014

I like it, and I use some of it. I use resources from a few other states that I find helpful. I know most grade levels at my school use at least part of Engage NY. I'm pretty sure that 1st grade uses it as their only resource.

8. lcr

lcr Companion

Apr 28, 2014

Just finished multiplying whole numbers by mixed fractions and the kids are doing great! I love the review, guided practice, and independent practice, but honestly it can be a little dry. I love the fact that I can print up a comprehensive unit for free, instead of scrambling around trying to make up my own lessons.

9. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Apr 28, 2014

The "dry" aspect was the one part that stuck out to me as troublesome when I was glancing through the units. I think if I were to use this in the classroom (assuming no adopted curriculum existed within the district), I would definitely use these but would find ways to spice it up a bit to increase engagement!

10. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Apr 29, 2014

It's okay. I don't like it as much as GO math which I think has more resources so I'm glad my school bought that but I still use some EngageNY to supplement.