End of Year Gift - Personalized Book

Discussion in 'General Education' started by mathmagic, May 14, 2017.

1. mathmagic

mathmagic Connoisseur

May 14, 2017

In my first two years, I went a slightly different route, but this year had thoughts of possibly getting each student a book (similar to my winter-time "free book" gift that I do for students that is their choice in a future order), but that is tailored to their specific personality (i.e. someone into the Who Was books, getting one of those...someone who is highly empathetic, giving a book like Wonder) and has a personalized message on the inside cover. It would cost a bit more than my usual plans, and would certainly take significantly longer...but would be worth it if I could accomplish it.

Has anyone else done something like this?

3. mathmagic

mathmagic Connoisseur

May 17, 2017

Please excuse the bump for visibility ;)

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 17, 2017

Nice idea if you are willing to spend the money. Very thoughtful

I opt for $1 Scholastic books that I can get for points. I put in a bag with a packet of Kool Aid, a crazy straw, an ice pop (those kind that are juicy in a tube that you freeze)

5. mathmagic

mathmagic Connoisseur

May 17, 2017

I'm ridiculously frugal (hate spending money) outside of the classroom...so these occasional splurges aren't that bad: my thought is that I'd use some of the books that are already in my library (extras, books not read often, etc...), mixed with some that I buy, and then some that I get through Scholastic.

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 18, 2017

I've never done it, but love this idea!

7. Tulipteacher

Tulipteacher Rookie

May 18, 2017

As a mom, my opinion is that it is very sweet and thoughtful of you, but won't really be noticed by the kids. I think the kids who are appreciative, grateful kids will be esoecially pleased that they got something they'll really like, but I don't think they'll really get that the book was tailored to them. Or if they do get it, they won't have any idea how much extra time/money it was for you to make it happen. Because of birthdays and holidays, I think kids are unsurprised to get gifts that match their interests.

So, I think you should do it if it makes you happy to think about, but know that it won't be as meaningful to them as ut should be.

8. mathmagic

mathmagic Connoisseur

May 18, 2017

I appreciate the counter-thought! In my previous years, my end-of-year gift was less of a in-the-moment gift and more of a when-you-graduate kind of gift...and my worry with that was similar to your thoughts, along with the fact that I might move and that most kids probably wouldn't come back after graduating (though I plan to attend graduations as they come up).

Perhaps I'll play around with how long and how costly it would be to go this route...and then make the call after some initial brainstorming.