End of the year

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by K-5_teacherguy, May 24, 2016.

1. K-5_teacherguy

K-5_teacherguy Companion

May 24, 2016

I am finishing up my first year of teaching in 5th grade, our last day is today! Up until the end of the day yesterday, I was nothing but excited for the year to end and for summer to begin. But after the kids left yesterday, it finally set in that it was actually going to be over after today, and to be honest, it's really bumming me out!

I'm definitely all for the break, but I have made so many relationships with kids, and I've watched them grow so much, that it's hard to watch them leave to go to middle school. Is this normal at the end of the year? Does this type of feeling get easier the more you teach? This is the first group of kids that I've had, so that probably has something to do with it. How do you normally feel at the end of the year?

Reagan likes this.
  3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 24, 2016

Exhausted. Happy to see the end of the year. Exhausted. Sad to see the end of the year. Exhausted.

K-5_teacherguy, bella84 and mathmagic like this.
  4. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

May 24, 2016

I agree. I feel exhausted and pleased that it is summer.

K-5_teacherguy likes this.
  5. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

May 24, 2016

I've only hit one officially (three as a sub, one as a sub after a maternity leave ended in mid-Spring), and I felt exhausted. I told myself last year I was going to go in and start summer work for next year after just a few days...well, it was 2-3 weeks, I think, before I went in for the first time.

At the same time, I also felt sad, and certainly shed some tears, about the end of working with a great group of kids (this year will be harder, I'm sure!).

Finally though, I also felt enthused, as I knew I had a couple months in front of me to re-energize, re-prepare, better organize myself, and get ready to make the classroom a better place for the next set of kids, which certainly happened last summer (not as much as I wanted, but improvements nonetheless!).

I know this is about how we feel...but my wife also feels happy that she gets to see me again after many long nights and many weekends. :hugs:

6. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

May 24, 2016

I always feel a bit of shock once the kids are gone. You are so busy before the last day that it doesn't seem to truly set in that your babies are leaving.

7. applecore

applecore Devotee

May 28, 2016

Normally? Exhausted. This year, it went by so fast that I had to literally stop myself from rushing the kids out the door to their bus at the end of the day. The moment they were all gone and my room was empty, that's when it hit me. I was sad that it ended, but elated that I don't feel worn out emotionally as I have in the past.

Super awesome that you've had a fantastic school year! Savor those moments.

8. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Devotee

May 28, 2016

It's the same for me. I'm in Preschool so I get super sad (and I mean with tears) that they are leaving me for Kindergarten, but I am also happy for the summer break! It's bittersweet.

9. K-5_teacherguy

K-5_teacherguy Companion

May 29, 2016

I think the shock is what was getting to me too the more I think about it! As a first year teacher, sometimes it felt like the year was never ending (at least it did for me). So when it finally did end, it was hard to believe and almost didn't feel like it was actually happening.

However, now that I'm almost a week into summer I am definitely not complaining!

10. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

May 29, 2016

I like my students, but have no sadness that the year is ending. I'm looking forward to reflecting on this year and how I can make next year even better.