Emergency Substitute Lesson Plans

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by momtobaln, Sep 9, 2007.

1. momtobaln

momtobaln Rookie

Sep 9, 2007

I am required to have an emergency substitute lesson plan in the event that I am out and have my lesson plans with me. These need to be generic plans that will require little preparation. I teach 3rd grade and was wondering if anyone has any math, reading, language arts, spelling or science/health/social studies lessons that would be easy for a sub to teach at a minutes notice?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 9, 2007

I teach HS, so my stuff isn't of any use to you.

But take a look at www.edhelper.com

They do have a lot of freebies.

4. maroki

maroki Comrade

Sep 9, 2007

I teach 1st grade so my lessons wouldn't be much help to you either, but here is what I do:

I keep a full emergency sub folder in my file cabinet all year. It has a generic sub letter, explaining that I am gone in an emergency situation and I appreciate their flexibility. I always have a weekly schedule in there (so they can just reference the day of the week), and the folder is full of already copied review lessons. I tell the sub in the letter that the lessons are review, so they don't have to teach anything new to the students. I also tell them the location of all my teacher manuals and all my reproducible books, as well as my copy code so they can copy/supplement as they see fit.

The way I see it, an emergency sub is usually called at the last minute and I'd rather them give my students good review of concepts I've taught than struggle to teach new concepts or new lessons because I wasn't able to leave adequate lesson plans. I also leave my sub the contact info for the other first grade teachers (we all plan together) and tell them that any of the 1st grade teachers would be able to tell them where I am conceptually, in case they want to change a lesson or something.

If I'm gone for more than one day, then I'd have one of my friends at work put together more in-depth, less review lessons from the stuff in my room. Otherwise, I figure I can pick up where I left off when I return the next day and my students got a good day of review.

I know that wasn't exactly what you were looking for, but maybe it will help you when you are searching for lessons/activities to put into your emergency sub folder.

5. LAH2

LAH2 Companion

Sep 9, 2007

I have my emergency sub plans divided up into different subject areas, and for every subject area I give a list of possible lessons (enough for at least one week). For Reading/Lang. Arts I might have activities like reread the story in our reading book (the students can tell them which one), D.E.A.R. time, read a story to the students, have them read with a buddy, a list of possible spelling activities, topics for writing assignments, and worksheets that I know will be a review for the students. For math I would tell the sub to review whatever math concept we are learning at the time (which again the students can tell them), review the math homework from the night before, solve the problem of the day, play a math game (with a list of math games given), have the students solve math problems on the white boards or in their journals, and a bunch of worksheets that I know will be a review to the students. For science and social studies I leave a bunch of different activities that may or may not relate to whatever we are learning at the time, and sometimes I add more throughout the year after we have covered a topic. Our science program is entirely hands-on and the substitute would have no way to prepare, so I have to find other activities for them to do. I also have a few videos available that the sub can use for science or social studies. As much as I don't like to give my students worksheets all the time, they would work well in emergency substitute plans. If the substitute is good they can usually teach a lesson to go along with whatever skill is on the worksheet.
    I hope this helps some. I'm remembering all these off of the top of my head because I haven't actually looked at my emergency plans in A LONG TIME, but now you've inspired me to go back and check them over. Good luck!

6. MissHunny

MissHunny Comrade

Sep 9, 2007

we are required to turn in the emergency sub plans to the office, with all of the materials ready and in the folder. For L.A. i have the sub playing spelling games with the kids on that week's words (Cherry Pie, Telephone Spelling). For reading I have a book that I know I am not reading in the folder and story map worksheets. For math I copied a problem solving sheet in which the keids will need to draw and label a picture, write a number model, then explain thier solution in writing. For Sci/SS I leave an old Time for Kids magazine that I never did with the kids and the corresponding activity sheet to go with it. In the folder I also include another set of worksheets for each subject in case thre is extra time after any lesson. Yes, it may be a boring day with many worksheets, but at least it is prepared.

7. Mrs. Chick

Mrs. Chick Rookie

Sep 9, 2007

For reading, I would leave a blank story map that the teacher could pick a book to read and have the students fill out (I think a lot of subs bring some of their favorite books with them)
    For spelling you could leave an ABC order sheet for that week's words, or have the students write a sentence for each word.

8. Miss Ellie

Miss Ellie New Member

Nov 10, 2007

I could use some new ideas on spelling games. Can you tell me about yours? Thanks.