Emailing Homework

Discussion in 'General Education' started by FT2012, Dec 17, 2012.

1. FT2012

FT2012 Rookie

Dec 17, 2012

I have a few parents that wanted me to email the homework in the beginning of the school year. Being a new teacher and wanting to do the right thing for my students, I agreed. Now, I'm kicking myself. Today I was running late with a meeting and then had to take care of something personal right after I left work. I totally forgot to email the homework; I know that makes me look bad as a teacher, but I'm starting to regret my decision to do this.

My students are in the 4th grade and I'm finding that the ones I email the homework are being completely irresponsible with assignments. They don't even make the effort to take any of the materials home or even try writing the assignments in their planner; one day I went over the homework and one student asked if I was going to make sure I emailed this to his mother.

E-mailing the homework is creating more work for me and not teaching them any responsibility. How can I make the shift to make the students more accountable and stop this emailing of homework! We're in the 4th grade! In less than two years, they'll make the move to the middle school next door and they need to learn how to do this stuff!

3. Ilovesummer

Ilovesummer Companion

Dec 17, 2012

With Christmas break coming, this is a good time to make the change. I would email the parents sometime before break, and say that you are not going to be emailing homework after the break, so that the students can get used to taking more responsibility for their own homework assignments. Reassure the parents that if they have questions, they can email you with their questions. Then, follow through, and don't email assignments after break.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 17, 2012

I think this sounds about right.

5. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Dec 17, 2012

Yep, wean them away from it. But be careful how you phrase that they can email you with questions. Or else you'll have 20 parents emailing you every day asking for the same thing you were sending out once before.

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 17, 2012

I would still require the students to fill in their planner, do not let them rely on the email of the homework.

I always posted or emailed the homework when I taught middle school, but I also signed each planner to make sure that the students were filling them in.

7. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Dec 18, 2012

For those who are absent, I will either send home a copy of the work with their homework buddy or I will post it on my classroom site and direct any emails that I get from a parent to my site. Otherwise I tell the children to come in at recess to get their homework. I'm not going to baby them- not even as 4th graders.

8. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Dec 18, 2012

This is what I was going to suggest as well. Make a clean break and ensure students have planners/agendas they can write their assingments in.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 18, 2012

:yeahthat:

10. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Dec 18, 2012

I am using Remind101 this year and love it. It's a free text alert service where you can send text/email announcements of homework assignments. I do it right through my phone, and usually just schedule the messages in advance so I don't forget to do them.

11. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Dec 19, 2012

I love Remind101 as well. But I had to stop using it so much because the parents and students were becoming dependent on it. If they didn't have their homework they would whine "but you didn't send us a reminder!"