Elmer's English resources, revived

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by TeacherGroupie, Jan 19, 2007.

1. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 11, 2016

Dunno about same day, but consecutive days or every other day is definitely A Thing One Has Heard Of.

2. Eng_teacher

Eng_teacher Rookie

Jul 12, 2016

Hello TeacherGroupie,
    I am a newbie here. I am super confused between taking CSET English or doing subject matter program approved by CTC. what is your suggestion?

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 12, 2016

Do you have a bachelor's degree? If so, what in?

4. Eng_teacher

Eng_teacher Rookie

Jul 13, 2016

I did my Bachelors and Masters in German and I did my bachelor's in education too. Since I am an out of country candidate so post evaluation of my transcripts , I was offered a preliminary credential in English

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 13, 2016

You were offered a preliminary credential in English? By whom?

6. Eng_teacher

Eng_teacher Rookie

Jul 13, 2016

By CTC . I worked with my local dept. Of Education and they suggested English .

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 13, 2016

By "offered", do you mean that CTC says you're currently eligible for a credential in English?

8. Eng_teacher

Eng_teacher Rookie

Jul 13, 2016

Yes. Sorry for all the confusion.

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 13, 2016

Oh, okay. An approved subject-matter preparation program would net you an additional bachelor's degree and would take, I think, two years or so (depending on how many of your course units from Germany you could get accepted as transfer units). Such programs are also not that easy to find.

If you've satisfied the CTC on all other points, and if what you want to teach is English, then passing CSET English is the fastest and cheapest way to go. OCDE (I infer that you're in OC: it's the only California county with a dept. of education instead of a county office of education) sells preparation materials, though if you're being guided toward a credential in English, and if your undergrad work included doing literature and language in English, you may not need them. Have a look at the preparation materials at http://www.ctcexams.nesinc.com/prepare.asp, please. The glossaries at the beginning of this thread may also be useful. You WILL be expected to know some things about speech and media and theatre for Subtest IV, but those aren't that hard to pick up.

And feel free to keep asking questions.

10. Eng_teacher

Eng_teacher Rookie

Jul 13, 2016

Thanks for your guidance . I have 132 units of under graduate work and another 87 units of post graduate work. I am not a good test taker. So I don't know how and where to start. I have just looked at Elmer ' notes, terms seems to be familiar . I did those once upon a time 13 years back. So my mind is as clean as a white board. If I study upto 2 hours every day then what do you think when I will be able to take the test.

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 13, 2016

I don't know when you'd be ready; I'd pretty much have to be working with you to say with much certainty - though, since you did once know the content, I think you'll find that the clean whiteboard of your mind will start sprouting connections rather promptly.

You might consider identifying one subtest to take fairly soon, and taking that to give you a feel for how this CSET thing works. Given that, evidently, you're not being required to take CTEL, I infer that you have TESOL training or something like it, that you've taught non-speakers either German or English, and that you've been exposed, or perhaps more than exposed, to linguistics as well. I'll hazard a guess that Subtest II might be a good choice. If your English is more British than American, study American English punctuation rules.

I don't generally recommend taking all the subtests of a given CSET in one go, for physiological reasons: five hours of sitting tends to do bad things to many people's ability to think.

Do bear in mind a couple of things:

1. A passing scaled score on any CSET is 220, on a scale from 100 to 300. It isn't necessary to get all the questions right in order to pass.

2. Subtests III and IV, uniquely for the CSET program, consist solely of constructed responses. Questions are often formulated in such a way that there isn't necessarily one right answer: the scorers are more interested in seeing whether a test taker can formulate a plausible answer and defend it in terms that suit the discipline.

12. CallMeIshmael

CallMeIshmael Rookie

Aug 16, 2016

Might I say, these guides are extremely helpful as supplemental material. Many thanks to elmer and TG for all of the useful advice (I've read up on this and the English CSET thread). I have yet to register for my exam, though I plan to take all four subtests by the end of September! I'm currently planning to apply for a fall credential program this coming February, so I hope that, by taking the CSET by the end of September, I am able to remedy any of my test results' shortcomings!

Once more, thanks to all in advance. I plan to check in now and then to discuss the CSET and, hopefully, provide insight for future test-takers!

[A little intro about myself: I majored in English, earned my BA in 12/2013 from one of the University of California campuses, earned a 3.5 overall, tutored for sometime (from kinder to 12th) and held the position of lead English tutor for almost a year before I moved from that area, and I hold (note verb tense change, ah...) myself to be rather theatrically knowledgeable. I look forward to mingling with the amazing educators (and future educators) on this site; I'm thankful to have found it!]

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 16, 2016

You're welcome, CallMeIshmael, and welcome to our maelstrom!

14. Historyanne

Historyanne New Member

Feb 3, 2017

Thank you!

15. LouisePlease

LouisePlease New Member

Mar 8, 2017

I took a couple practice tests before I started studying for the CSET to gauge my preparedness and scored 80-85% on subset I and II. Upon reviewing Elmer's materials I am struck by the detail in the "English Grammar Notes" document because I did not feel like the practice exam demanded that kind of specificity ie: all the different kinds of pronouns. Am I doing myself a disservice by not memorizing all these terms? I want to be realistic about what my brain can hold.

16. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 9, 2017

There's more to the test than subtests I and II. One task in Subtest III and at least one task in Subtest IV require one to point out where and how a text goes off course, and a solid grasp of grammatical terminology can make that easier.

17. LollyDama

LollyDama New Member

Mar 26, 2017

Could you please tell me where to connect with Elmer's English Resources? I would greatly appreciate a reply. I have taken the 5047 exam several times, and I haven't had much luck. The last time I took the exam, I missed passing by 4 points. Thank you.

18. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 27, 2017

"Elmer's English resources" is the title of the precursor to this thread. If what you're looking for is the resources, go to the first page of the thread and look for posts that have attachments.

19. strykerforceone

strykerforceone New Member

Jun 2, 2017

Hello, everyone. I'm posting to recommend Karen McDermott's CSET English preparation materials. I used her guides for subtests III and IV (the more difficult ones) and passed on the first attempt. I also bought REA and Cliff's prep books, and though they each have things to recommend them, in my opinion Karen's guides are the best written and most practical. This forum appears not to allow posting of links; to find Karen, Google cset english tutor karen.

20. Joseph112

Joseph112 Rookie

Jun 9, 2017

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017