Elmer's English resources, revived

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by TeacherGroupie, Jan 19, 2007.

1. bermudan

bermudan Rookie

Jul 11, 2015

Very interesting. Thank you for the clarification - I did surprisingly well after all!

I'm eagerly anticipating my III/IV scores. Do those really take 7 entire weeks to come back? That seems like such a long time.

chinsufood likes this.
  2. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 11, 2015

What it is, bermudan, and what it will be henceforth for all CSETs, is that score reports for two or four weeks' worth of testing are issued on the same day. July 31, 2015 is the result release date for, among other tests, CSET English III and IV taken as early as June 15 and as late as July 12, and results for those tests are issued once every four weeks. (Those who want to wait less time between testing and results might want to try to schedule their exams later in the test-date rather than sooner - though this means that one's 45-days-before-retake clock also starts ticking later.) CSET-MS subtests have shorter test-date windows and more frequent score-report release dates, but that's partly because a great many more people take CSET-MS than do any of the single-subject tests.

I think most other Pearson CBT exams

3. iamteacher

iamteacher New Member

Jul 30, 2015

I just finished taking subtest 1, and I thought it went ok. But I received the printout after the test and it said not passed :(. How accurate are these, considering it's an unofficial test result? Is there some small chance that I might have actually passed when I get my actual score report? I guess I just want to hold off on registering for the test again...

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 30, 2015

Hugs. But I'm afraid one really doesn't hear about scores going significantly up or down on multiple-choice-only subtests.

5. bermudan

bermudan Rookie

Aug 8, 2015

You were right, they were released on the 31st.

... And I passed! I'm so happy that I was able to pass on my first try. :woot::clap::clap::clap::partyhat:

I was stoked to read those 4 "Pass".

Thank you so much again, TeacherGroupie. I'd buy you a beer if you were nearby.

6. bermudan

bermudan Rookie

Aug 8, 2015

They're accurate from what I've heard. I believe they're able to grade them instantly since they're multiple-choice questions.

Don't be discouraged. I highly suggest you use all the study guides given here. There's also a lot of flashcards available to use on Quizlet - my sets should also be on there (just search for CSET English.)

I suggest you make a plan to take all 4 subtests within a close range of each other; a lot of the material can be present across all 4 subtests.

Best of luck! :love:

7. RS34

RS34 New Member

Oct 19, 2015

Hi all,
    I was able to access the Elmer study guides about a month and a half ago and should have downloaded them then because now I am unable to download them. Could anyone please let me know how to access the guides? From this thread, I've gathered that they are extremely useful and I would love to use them to prepare for the CSET!

Also, thank you to Elmer and TeacherGroupie!

Thanks everyone for your help :)

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 19, 2015

Ask, and - once TG figures out the ropes of the new regime - it, or they, shall be given. Please see the first several posts in the thread. The files are all now in pdf format, but I think that's less problematic for most of us than it was in (crikey!) 2007.

9. RS34

RS34 New Member

Oct 19, 2015

Wow, thanks so much for the quick response! I have downloaded the PDFs (I think I found them all).

These are awesome, I'm very excited to use these to prepare. This whole thread is so helpful, I'm happy I stumbled upon it!

Thanks again, this is an incredible help

10. malnaggar

malnaggar New Member

Dec 13, 2015

Thank you very much for sharing these resources!

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 13, 2015

You're welcome, people. One way to pay it forward is to join or initiate a thread about some issue covered by the test. As long as you're not discussing an actual specific test question, it's all good.

12. Lit Girl

Lit Girl Rookie

Feb 17, 2016

I have Elmer's notes as well as the Xam prep book. Any other suggestions? This is a career change for me, so though I always did well in English, it's been a longgggg time and I've never taught before. Now the written and essay are taken at once, so a bit confused about the "SubTest" questions? Do I need to study the notes for the sub tests as well? Thanks again, love this thread and REALLY hoping to leave my crappy job for a new career path!

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 17, 2016

Welcome to A to Z, Lit Girl. If you're not testing in California, "subtest" may very well be irrelevant to you. (California's CSET exams each consist of at least two subtests, and CSET English has four of 'em.)

14. artbrarian

artbrarian Rookie

Feb 17, 2016

Which of these will be best for Praxis 5039? I saw a thread saying to check here.

15. Lit Girl

Lit Girl Rookie

Feb 17, 2016

Ahh...thank you. I'm in Florida and it's a two part computerized test. One part is multiple choice and one part is the written essay on either a subject or poem.

16. jen1371

jen1371 Rookie

Apr 10, 2016

I know the bulk of this thread is pretty old but I'm hoping this is a good place to post.

First, thanks so much Teacher Groupie and Elmer! I'm planning to take the English CSET sometime in the next several months and the resources I've found here are phenomenal. That being said - there is A LOT of stuff to work through. In addition to Elmer's downloads I've ordered a couple of Perrine's guides, Teach Yourself Linguistics, Barron's English Lit and Good Reasons with Contemporary Arguments. I also have my Norton anthologies from undergrad and I'm planning to order some of the Orange County study guides. My question is simple: where to start? Have some of you found a good plan of attack? Do I download the sample tests and work through them with the texts at my side? It seems counterproductive to just start reading without some plan to approach the workload efficiently. I've been out of college for a loooong time and need lots of brushing up.

Thanks again so much, I appreciate any advice.

17. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 10, 2016

Are you planning to take all four subtests in one go, or will you split them up?

18. jen1371

jen1371 Rookie

Apr 10, 2016

I'm planning to split them up - I/III and II/IV.

19. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 11, 2016

I'm fairly certain, with the shift to computer-based testing, that one takes all four subtests in one go OR one subtest at a time, but nothing in between. With that said, you can certainly schedule the subtests as close together as you like as long as you're not repeating one.

People who "used to know" the content generally find it comes back to them fairly quickly. You're probably best off arbitrarily choosing somewhere to start and then seeing where that leads you. Use the Subject Matter Requirements doc as an outline to guide you.

20. jen1371

jen1371 Rookie

Apr 11, 2016

Gah, no I don't want to take them all in one day. I'll register individually and see if it's possible to schedule two on the same day or close together.

Thanks for the advice, I think I'll just work my way through starting with the subject matter and study guide for test 1 and see how it goes.