ELL tips anyone?

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by K_luv30, Jul 13, 2008.

1. K_luv30

K_luv30 Rookie

Jun 9, 2008
    Jul 13, 2008

Has anyone taught or have had experience with English Language Learners?
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2008
  3. GD2BQN

GD2BQN Comrade

Aug 7, 2007
    Jul 13, 2008

You can also be very Anglo-American and have brown hair and brown eyes!!:crosseyed
  4. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jan 21, 2008
    Jul 13, 2008

Ha -- I was about to respond that there are blonde and blue-eyed Mexicans, but I understand her concern so I didn't want to compound it.

I want you to know there is no reason to panic.

First off, find out from your principal which parents, if any, do not speak English. Because a child is in a bilingual class, do not assume the child or parent does not speak some English. Usually at least the children do, and they can help you communicate with their parents.

You do not need to be able to speak Spanish in your class -- you are teaching your students English only.

Your school or school district should have already tested these students, which is why they have been placed in your class. Your principal should be able to give you the results of the tests to help you determine which students are where.

To make you more comfortable, I would also recommend you learn more about the Hispanic culture. Many people don't know much more than stereotypes they have heard about or seen. Ask your local or school librarian if she or he can recommend good materials for you to read to learn more about the culture of your future students.

Good luck!