Elements of Novels/Stories

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by micgat0r, Dec 3, 2012.

1. micgat0r

micgat0r Rookie

Dec 3, 2012

Does anyone have any recommendations for 50-100 minute G-Rated movies that could be used as an activity for Secondary students to identify the Elements of Stories (Plot, Theme, Character, POV, Exposition, Conflict, etc?)

3. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Dec 3, 2012

Does it have to be G? I've used Shrek before for similar things and it worked great. It's PG.

What about Finding Nemo?

4. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Dec 3, 2012

I've used episodes of "Saved by the Bell" ... not sure if that is G or PG, but it works perfectly. 24 minute episodes would allow you to do several and compare/contrast.

5. platypusok

platypusok Companion

Dec 3, 2012

I use Scooby Doo episodes. Although, I love Saved by the Bell so I may use them in the future.

6. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Aficionado

Dec 3, 2012

I highly recommend the movie Radio, it's PG. There is not one cuss word in it.
    You can track one character or both of the main characters with the conflicts and resolution of those conflicts, as well as the main conflict and its resolution.

I also like the Miracle Worker (about Helen Keller) it's also PG and just like with Radio you can use it to discuss important issues as well. I especially like to show this movie to distinguish between climax and resolution, because those scenes are so close together yet can been seen why the climax is not the resolution. You can also track the conflicts of just one or both of the main characters.

7. MissMatty

MissMatty Rookie

Dec 10, 2012

Not sure about the ratings, but a lot of Disney is great for this. I would use The Lion King, Aladdin or Mulan.

8. JustMe

JustMe Guru

Dec 10, 2012

Not a movie, but I liked to use The Cosby Show. I felt a responsibility to make sure younger kiddos knew about that show. :)

The conflict and resolution is always so clear in such shows (like Saved by the Bell mentioned earlier), and because they're not majorly popular now, it seems students can focus more on the task. Plus I'd rather show a couple than one movie.