Elementary vs. Middle School

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by TXforever, Oct 12, 2017.

1. TXforever

TXforever Companion

Oct 12, 2017

Hi All,

I’m in my 4th year of teaching 4th grade, and I go home more emotionally drained than the day before, the week before, the month before, the year before. They are so needy. I counted yesterday, and I had 15 kids in 20 minutes come to ask me a question, tell me a story, tattle, etc.

We have a 2 year-old son, and I feel like the worst mom ever because I’m so drained I can’t wait for bedtime because I need some peace and quiet and time when someone doesn’t need something from me.

There’s a possibility of a 7/8 ELA position opening up in my district. I know each grade level has challenges, and it’s kind of a trade off. But, I’m considering applying.

Anyway made a jump this big? My degree is elementary, so I can teach up to 8th in everything except math. But, I have an additional certification for middle level English.

3. Fun_Teacher

Fun_Teacher Companion

Oct 12, 2017

I do not feel that it would be a big leap, in regards to teaching styles. Eight Graders are easier to manage, because of the maturity and the continued understanding of boundaries. Of course, 7th/8th graders are older and bigger.
    It would be fun.
    Teaching MS Eng. would not be as difficult as 4th grade. The curriculum would be different and your schedule. Definitely look into it.

TXforever likes this.
  4. TXforever

TXforever Companion

Oct 12, 2017

I’ve taught 6th ELA and enjoyed it. One of my biggest concerns with 7/8 is discipline. Elementary kids still want to please you, for the most part. I know what works as far as consequences with elem kiddos. I have zero clue what would work with 7/8 graders.

5. Fun_Teacher

Fun_Teacher Companion

Oct 13, 2017

Hi.
    For MS Students, here is the 5-step discipline model.
    8th graders may have more bigger misconducts, but generally understood classroom behavior.
    5-STEP DISCIPLINE MODEL
    1. Verbal Warning: Remind the student of class rules. Firmly state the next consequence and why NOT to do.
    2. Hallway: have the student go to the hallway for 3-5 minutes. Quickly discuss the behavior with student in the hallway. Describe what the student did wrong, Explain how to improve the behavior, and state the next consequence.
    3. Lunch Detention: Assign a lunch detention for the next school day. During lunch detention, have the student fill out an In-Class Misconduct form for your records. Hold a discussion with the student about behavior improvement.
    4. Afterschool Detention: Assign an after school detention within a week of the misconduct
    5. Office Write-Up: Write the student up to the office. Assign a 1-day class suspension. Student will, then, receive office detention and be required to stay for teacher detention to make up missed instruction.
    If a student is disruptive to the point where classroom-level redirection is deemed ineffective, send the student to In-school Suspension.
    Severe disruptions should result in Suspension.

You need to be strict, but still gentle.
    For example:
    -Class is talking
    Teacher: "Class, talking is allowed for two minutes. After this, I expect that you are quiet for the start of the lesson.
    -Wait 2 mintues
    -Teacher: "Please stop the talking and let's get started."
    -class still is talking
    -Teacher: "Excuse me, I need to begin the lesson."
    -class still is talking
    -Teacher: *raise your voice "Enough with the talking. Let's get started with the lesson."
    -some students quiet down, but others are still talking
    -Teacher: "STOP TALKING! I need to get this lesson started. Anyone who continues to talk will be sent to ISS."
    -Almost all students stop
    -Teacher: "(insert student name here), I will no longer allow talking. I have given multiple warnings. Here is an ISS pass. Please head to In-School Suspension."

6. vickilyn

vickilyn Maven

Oct 14, 2017

I personally love MS teaching, and once did most of a year as long term replacement in 7/8 ELA. I loved it enough to make sure that I added MS endorsements when I went AR. I teach HS now, but would go to MS in a heartbeat. As far as elementary, nothing younger than second would work for me, and although I like fourth, I would still choose MS over elementary. No reason not to try MS, but don't be surprised if you are drawn back to elementary as your own little one gets closer to school age. Just know that every grade has their quirks. The trick is finding the grade with quirks you can be most comfortable with.

Suggestion: Try changing the title of the thread to something that is more explicit about what you want to know. Example - Teaching Elem. ELA vs. Middle School ELA. Differences?? :cool:

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
  7. TXforever

TXforever Companion

Oct 14, 2017

I counted yesterday morning. I had 22 tattles/questions/complaints in 30 minutes.

I need kids who are a little less emotionally dependent. :(

I tried to change the title. :(

8. vickilyn

vickilyn Maven

Oct 14, 2017

Go to Thread Tools - you can change the title. We all learn something new every day.

TXforever likes this.
  9. TXforever

TXforever Companion

Oct 14, 2017

That worked! :)

10. anon55

anon55 Comrade

Oct 14, 2017

I only substitute taught ES, but I quickly saw how I'm just not the type of person who likes dealing with that age group--too needy. They're cuter and sweeter, but more needy. The older you go, the nastier and less afraid of teachers they are, but they're less needy and once you have them under control, it's so much easier. For me, MS is the right spot for me. Just the right amount of maturity/responsibility, while still you can appeal to their respect of adults and they mostly don't get too nasty. It's like kittens vs. cats. I prefer cats because although kittens are more fun and sweet, adult cats are just less energy/work. It really depends on your personality.

TXforever likes this.
  11. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Habitué

Oct 15, 2017 at 8:34 AM

The years I had a group of "tattlers", I found forms for them to fill out. They were just detailed enough to dissuade the attention seekers, and still a real and viable option for the kids who had a genuine concern. Might help you a little until a switch can be made.