Elementary versus Middle grade levels

Discussion in 'General Education' started by mls08, Apr 21, 2017 at 9:02 AM.

1. mls08

mls08 Rookie

Apr 21, 2017 at 9:02 AM

I am in the process of applying for teaching positions within the school districts near me.
    My preference is to teach grades 2nd through 5th. I have always steered away from middle school grades simply because that is a tough age to work with. But, I thought I would get your opinions on how you feel about working with middle school students.

Is it much of a difference from elementary (5th grade)? I am only eligible to teach 6th so that would be the grade. Is the work load similar?

I would appreciate your input.

Thank you! :)

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 21, 2017 at 9:06 AM

When you're departmentalized (at any grade level), you will likely have a larger number of students on your rosters. This means more grading, more conferences, more differentiation. The trade off is that you have fewer subjects to prepare for--although you might still be customizing that content for students at a huge range of levels.

Backroads likes this.
  4. AmyMyNamey

AmyMyNamey Companion

Apr 22, 2017 at 11:30 AM

I would try subbing in both environments, first.

Personally, I'd never teach middle school. The kids are wildly disrespectful, violent, and disengaged. Our district has had a long standing problem with discipline that is at its worst in middle school.

Your district may be much better. But do try subbing to experience it for yourself.

5. vickilyn

vickilyn Phenom

Apr 22, 2017 at 11:36 PM

Different strokes for different folks. I loved MS/Junior High. I'm guessing your cert is K-6 as Elem. Ed. In NJ, if you are going to teach a MS Specialization Content, there is an additional Praxis to take, which extends your range in that subject to 8th grade, but you have to have the credits on your transcript (15) to qualify to take that test.

6. rpan

rpan Rookie

Apr 23, 2017 at 12:18 AM

I love MS (Y8 & 9) too. The students at this age aren't perfect but no one is at this age, where they are trying to form a sense of themselves, fit in with friends and while all this is happening, their hormones are all over the place, making them say and do unexpected things. But taking the good with the bad, MS students are a fun bunch and watching them grow from an immature brat to a young adult is highly rewarding.

But to each their own. I take my hats off to elementary school teachers. I could never do what they do.

7. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Apr 23, 2017 at 5:46 PM

I'm with RPan, I LOVE grades 6-9. I taught 4th for a year--and went back to 7th.