Elementary to high school- tips?

Discussion in 'High School' started by ShanaNicole, Jul 23, 2012.

1. ShanaNicole

ShanaNicole Rookie

Jul 23, 2012

I started teaching last year. I taught first grade for a year and a half and realized the little Cuties weren't for me. I'm working on getting a position teaching high school English. I know how to teach elementary but I'm getting a little nervous even though I REALLY want high school.

I'm looking for tips, ideas, or even heads up what should I expect?

Thanks in advance!

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 23, 2012

To be honest, right now concentrate on getting that job; High School English can be every bit as tough as Elementary in many job markets.

Once you get the job it's time enough to fine tune your teaching. Right now, with August around the corner, spend all your energies on getting the postion.

Best wishes!

4. otsegogirl27

otsegogirl27 Rookie

Jul 26, 2012

I'm in the exact same boat- I was just going to write the exact same post. I taught preschool for 5 years out of college. My student teaching was in an Elem school with kids who have very severe disabilities. I just got my Master's in Dec and have now accepted a special ed spot for HS English, 10th grade. I am excited for the change and curious to see how I like working with older students, but I am getting nervous because I know I'm going to have to change my style of teaching and I don't really know what to expect. If you want to keep in touch over the year, we can get through the change together :)