elementary school teachers outlook

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by SoccerEm88, Jul 13, 2007.

1. SoccerEm88

SoccerEm88 New Member

Jul 13, 2007

I will be starting my freshman year in college this fall. I'm thinking of majoring in special education or elementary education or both, as many colleges have the dual major program. I've heard that they aren't a whole lot of openings for elementary school teachers, is this true? will my chances of finding a job be higher if I major in special education? thanks! Oh, also do you need a masters degree to to teach special education?

3. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 13, 2007

The availability of jobs depends a lot on where you are able/willing to live and work. I am in Ohio and elementary jobs are very scarce. In my area spec ed jobs are a little easier to come by, but some teachers get hired as spec ed hoping to transition to a regular ed class and are unable to make that happen.

Whether or not you need a Master's also depends on your state. Check with you college; they should have the answers.

Where are you going to school? Good luck!

4. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Jul 13, 2007

The amount and availability of elementary teaching positions depend on where you are located.
    Where I am in PA (about an hour north of Philly) it's hard to get in. We have about 100 applicants for each opening. Some of my college friends went to VA just outside of DC and had their choice of positions.
    As far as Special Ed. we don't need a master's it is actually advisable in this area not to have a master's because you cost more to hire and they have so many people to choose from. This is may not true for everywhere.

5. Mrs_Barrett

Mrs_Barrett Cohort

Jul 13, 2007

I would recommend doing both majors. I did. Many of the people who graduated with me (there was 2 of us with sped and elementary, the others were just elementary) don't have jobs right now. Only about 6 of us, and there was at least 15 people who graduated with me. Where I live there is openings, but most of them go to people with experience. I was fortunate to get a job soon after graduating and now i'm starting my 3rd year.

In my district too they want someone who has something special. If they get a 100 applicants all with elemen then what is special? At least with sped you would have something special. I would also recommend getting a reading endorsement too. It is very popular where I work. When I got mine during college, I only had to take 3 extra classes. Most of the reading classes fall under specail education.

6. USMCTCHR

USMCTCHR Companion

Jul 13, 2007

It DEFINATELY depends on location. I'm located in a military town and our district has 200-300 positions open YEARLY! I know several teachers that have moved here from other states.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 13, 2007

In the NY-NJ-Conn-PA area, there simply ARE NO el ed jobs. If you're willing to relocate when you graduate, things will be fine. But if you want to teach around here, secondary math or science are the ways to go.

8. eydie

eydie Companion

Jul 13, 2007

I would definately do both! Since I have Special Ed. on my certificate I get paid more even though I teach a regular ed. class. I like that I have the knowledge and techniques to work with the children who have challanges since where I teach they no longer have a "special ed" classroom. The children are all inclusion with a special ed. teacher who comes to service them within the classroom daily. This seems to be the trend to do away with the special ed fully contained classrooms. There are LOTS of teaching jobs in the area of the state where I live. If you want to PM me I'll let you know which state I live in!

9. mbfenner

mbfenner Rookie

Jul 13, 2007

I did my college work in PA and although I was lucky enough to receive offers I did not want to stay. I needed warm weather. Like others have said if you're willing to relocate you will always be able to get a job. Here in Las Vegas we need 1500 teachers for next year. Will we get them? No. We are short every year. We spent all of last year needing 400 teachers. If you like sunny weather and don't mind moving check us out.

http://www.educationbuffet.com

10. Amers

Amers Cohort

Jul 13, 2007

I head a lot about people not finding jobs, but as other posters mentioned, it does depend on where you're at. I would suggest getting a dual cert (elem. ed and special ed). This will increase your chances of finding work if the area you're in doesn't have a lot of jobs.

11. SouthernTeach

SouthernTeach Companion

Jul 13, 2007

There are plenty of jobs in Florida, we are always looking for qualified teachers.

12. cameroncrazie

cameroncrazie Rookie

Jul 13, 2007

North Carolina always has lots of teacher openings.