Electronic devices in your classrooms

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Andrew92, Apr 8, 2019.

?

Would you allow or do you encourage the use of electronic devices in your classroom?

1. Yes

12.5%
  2. Yes, but only under certain conditions

50.0%
  3. No

37.5%
  4. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Andrew92

Andrew92 New Member

Apr 8, 2019

Hello, dear teachers.

My name is Andrew and I'm a student of the University of Otago, New Zealand. I am currently doing some research since I am doing a report on whether computers/electronic devices should be allowed or encouraged to be used in the classrooms for learning and what effects that could have. As part of my research, I would like to know your opinion regarding the subject and the context in which you work.

To give a little more information, in my university we are alowed to work with our computers because it is easier and faster to take notes. Moreover, there are classes in which it is almost compulsory to work with either computers or other electronic devices due to de dynamic of the class (such as the class of translation). In addition, our lecturers themselves use powerpoint slides and they even record the classes so we can go over the lecture once again after it had ended in order to complete our notes.So, do you allow electronic devices on your classrooms or encourage your students to use electronic devices? I would appreciate it very much if you could also justify your options.

Thank you for your insights!

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 8, 2019

First of all, bear in mind that I'm at an alternative school that does things non-traditionally. We allow students to listen to music on their phones, provided they wear earphones and can hear the teachers over them. FaceTime, texting, and talking on the phone is out. We also allow students to use laptops to take notes, complete assignments, and do other academic work. They are not to be used recreationally.

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 8, 2019

Our students (and their parents) sign an "Acceptable Use" technology agreement at the beginning of the year. Technology is only to be used as directed by a teacher and under direct supervision. If students are using tech inappropriately we can (and do) deny them access. At my school, we don't allow phones to be used at all during the school day. (Our provincial government is going to be introducing legislation that will ban cell phones in all schools effective in September.) I do sometimes allow students to listen to music when they are working on Chromebooks, but only with my express permission and with the condition that I be able to see their screens at all times.

5. Andrew92

Andrew92 New Member

Apr 9, 2019

Hello! Thank you very much for your replies!

Do teachers in that school used, on a daily basis, any kind of technology as part of their teachings? I mean, powerpoint slides, videos, etc. Can I ask you what country that school is and what level of education it is?

Thank you for your answer MrsC. Can I ask you the same question I asked to catnfiddle? what country is the school located at? Is it a highschool? Do teachers use any kind of technology in their teachings or do they use mainly books?

6. Teacher234

Teacher234 Cohort

Apr 9, 2019

I teach elementary, so my students USUALLY do not have a phone yet. If the student has a phone, I ask the parents to disallow their child from sending it. Surprisingly, this has worked quite well. (Fortunately, none of my students this year have a cell phone.)
    Then again, if they had a cell phone, the students could work on communication skills (to the drawing board...possibly).

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 10, 2019

I'm at an elementary (K - 8) school. We all have ceiling mounted projectors and document cameras in our classrooms. Some teachers frequently use tech in their lessons and others do rarely.

8. Anca

Anca New Member

Apr 12, 2019

Hi, Andrew, I teach adults and I couldn't imagine my lessons without tech. I work with Power Point, Google Drive, and to engage students I always use a game, images, cartoons, etc.. to introduce a topic. I think tech is fun and springs students' curiousity, it also helps me with the pace of my lessons, making it interactive and dynamic. I could not ask for more!

9. ashleyhenry

ashleyhenry New Member

Apr 22, 2019

Yes I think electronic devices must be encouraged in classrooms

10. MrTempest

MrTempest Companion

Apr 23, 2019

I am very much for integrating technology into the classroom with regards to powerpoints, computers, etc.

I am very leery about personal technology in the classroom that distracts students with social media nonsense. It is extremely hard to regulate productive use of cell phones and would rather the students only use school technology.

11. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Apr 23, 2019

I use technology on a daily basis with my students. However, as a grade level team, we decided that the distraction of phones in the classroom was not something we wanted to deal with, so the devices students use are Chromebooks.

12. Aces

Aces Cohort

Apr 23, 2019

I'm very pro-tech. I honestly don't really care if students listen to music/use their phones during class. It doesn't really bother me. If you don't know what's going on because of your headphones, that's on you.