Education Majors and Attitude

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Poodle15, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Poodle15

Poodle15 Companion

Mar 11, 2013

:unsure: I was really depressed today while talking to a classmate at the attitudes of the others in our Ed program. She was saying how so many of the ones who will be graduating with her this May (with a 2yr degree, not a 4yr) treat it like a joke and skate by with the minimum C grade.

How depressing and how infuriating! Teaching isn't an easy job! I'm passionate about teaching and everything it involves from paperwork to inspiring students to grading. I read the posts here so I can mentally prepare myself for the tedious and the difficult while getting excited for all the good.

To think that people treat the job of shaping minds as a joke makes me sick. :dizzy:

3. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Phenom

Mar 11, 2013

I doubt they'll get the very few jobs available.

4. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Enthusiast

Mar 11, 2013

Exactly what I was thinking. And even if they do manage to score a job, they won't last. Teaching is hard and the job market is brutal. Those who aren't serious about it will eventually be weeded out. Don't worry. Just keep working hard and keep your head up! :)

5. DocuiSedecim

DocuiSedecim Rookie

Mar 11, 2013

A little confused

What is meant by a 2 year degree as opposed to a 4 year degree?

6. a2z

a2z Aficionado

Mar 11, 2013

But at what cost for the children! 6 months or one year of a bad teacher can really set kids back.

Sorry you are surrounded by others that are slacking, OP.

7. bison

bison Habitué

Mar 11, 2013

I don't experience this in my program at all, and anyone with that attitude usually ends up changing their mind about getting their credential and just gets the BA (which you cannot teach with). I just wrote a post on here about how I feel like it's a fairly rigorous program today. We also have to keep a B-average in any teaching methods classes.

That said, I know exactly how you feel! It drives me nuts that people who breeze through their programs will be competing for jobs when I'm working myself half to death in order to become the best teacher I can. I hope that people who hire know the programs and look at my GPA! There are definitely people at my school who do things like fake observations and field work and I just do NOT get it. Yeah, it's hard for me to schedule in too, but it's for our own benefit!!

8. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Mar 11, 2013

Poodle15, it really is amazing how different the various ed programs are, with some being simply awesome and some being just pitiful. I think this is one area that we need to address in the conversation about teacher accountability. Too many of the "anti-reformers" are attempting to make the case that the teaching profession is as good as it needs to be, and that any problems in public education come from socioeconomic issues outside the control of public schools. There is no doubt that those SES issues are huge, but to say that the teaching profession is perfect is also not accurate.

9. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Enthusiast

Mar 11, 2013

Very true. Maybe it's because of the state I'm in, but like bison said, people don't even get a credential in CA if they're not motivated. They stop with the BA. And if they're not very serious about teaching they will NOT get a job. Even most people who ARE serious about teaching don't get jobs in my area. Our job market is brutal.

10. HeartDrama

HeartDrama Connoisseur

Mar 12, 2013

My program will not issue a credential to anyone whose gpa is under a 3.0, and there are certain classes that require a 'B' or better. You have to care, and the teachers know if you don't. They won't approve your student teaching.

11. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Phenom

Mar 12, 2013

I knew a bunch of people in my credential program that didn't take it seriously either. One thing I noticed: all of those who were serious about the program now have jobs teaching. Those who weren't serious are still subbing or gave up trying to teach in America and they're teaching English in another country or gave up altogether.

There are very few who were serious who are still searching for jobs from my program. Even those who teach non-demand subjects.

12. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Mar 12, 2013

It's sad that there are people who don't take teaching seriously; I know years ago I went to school with some. The truth is that it's not many and most of these people will either not find a job or will figure it out and step up because of the demands on teachers.

13. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Mar 12, 2013

I was lucky and went through an excellent teaching credential program. I think programs just very from state to state. But, it is like anything, one gets out of it what one puts into it. A C average would not even get someome into the program that I was in,much less get a teaching interview.

14. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Mar 12, 2013

I was so proud of my GPA, and no one ever looked at it.

So I guess I can understand "skating by with a C". Just like with kids, you can't really 100% judge a skill level based on numerical grades. Especially when it comes to teaching. Teaching cannot be graded.

15. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Mar 12, 2013

I went through this with fellow students in my education program- their lack of knowledge of content and basic teaching strategies really got to me. I'm not the best teacher in the world- I have a lot of growth still- but I could not keep myself around those people. It's best to stick to those who know what they really are doing and don't abuse this profession. :)

16. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Aficionado

Mar 12, 2013

I wish I could say my experience matched the previous posters. But it didn't. I graduated from a school with a supposedly excellent teaching program. The classes were a joke. Two graduates, that had no business getting degrees at all, sailed right on through. One got a job right away, beating out one of the hardest workers we had in the program.

I would like to see the program requiring a lot more of its students.

17. bros

bros Phenom

Mar 13, 2013

At my four year, many treat it with a humorous outlook as that is the only way to survive in the ridiculousness that the program I am in brings.

However, we take our coursework seriously (as in completing assignments on time), don't really have to study for anything, and get good grades.

18. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Mar 13, 2013

Getting a teaching position- as in other professions too- is often based on who you know, not what you know. Besides some of my fellow students completely not impressing me with their professionalism (or lack there of), I agree that many of the courses I took in college did not help me in any way to be a better teacher.

I wish colleges would change how they're preparing teachers for the job. For example, I would have preferred to start student teaching right away instead of after 4 years of college- while taking content course work. That hands on experience (while building my knowledge of the subject I'd be teaching) would be more worth while than just random course work.

19. mcqxu

mcqxu Comrade

Mar 13, 2013

Totally agree with you about teacher preparation needing reform. For starters, I could have used at least a year of student teaching, rather than just one semester full time. Sure, we did tons of practicum before then, but that just isn't the same.
    I just interviewed a candidate for a position in our school, and this person was required to do a two-year student teaching placement for their teacher prep program - all masters coursework was done either online or over the summer.

20. greenbay33

greenbay33 Rookie

Mar 13, 2013

I definitely agree with this. I often feel that the coursework, while interesting at times, didn't really help me that much. At my school, they didn't even require Secondary Ed majors to take classroom management, and I took one for Elementary ed majors just because I wanted something. Also, I feel like my practicum wasn't worth much either. While one of my experiences was great, one was so so. Not only was it basically just observing, my cooperating teacher wasn't familiar with guidelines about what to do since I was supposed to teach a few lessons. Well he ignored it until the last week though I reminded him constantly.

Also, I think making some sort of student teaching available earlier would do wonders because it would allow those students on the fence to decide whether they really want to teach, and weed out those who don't take it seriously, rather than allow kids to skate by until graduation.

Also, to bring up kids who don't take it seriously. Fortunately quite a few of those kids dropped out or switched majors. Granted a few stayed in, but the one who I thought was just terrible basically stayed because he played football (he said he stayed in because he wanted to play and wanted to party) and graduated. Of course I don't think he got a job, especially since he was a PE major and those jobs are hard to get.

21. ktdclark

ktdclark Comrade

Mar 13, 2013

I know one of the criteria for my teaching program here in California was to do service hours in a classroom. I had to have the classroom teachers sign off on my presence. I would not have been admitted to my program without those hours.
    Admittedly, I wanted to go into teaching for the "summers" off--hahahaha!!!
    But once I found myself volunteering in the classroom under experienced teachers, i found that I actually also really liked the experience:)