Education is a Right that is easily compromised by teacher pay

Discussion in 'General Education' started by AlwaysAttend, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Backroads

Backroads Enthusiast

Sep 3, 2017

Where are these charter schools that are allowed to deny/kick out students?

Hell, we're now talking of arranging a behavior unit at our charter school to better deal with some of our mental/emotional issues of our population.

AlwaysAttend likes this.
  2. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Sep 3, 2017

What are your thoughts on private special ed schools in MA? There's one that takes 95% of kids from NYC and still does electro shock therapy on kids. They charge 250,000 per student. These are facts.

Other facts: Charter schools are open to students with pricey IEP's and all schools kick out students. That's why large districts have alternative schools. If more public schools cared to do the paperwork to remove violent students, there other students could actually learn. Charters don't kick kids out for doing poorly on tests.

Backroads likes this.
  3. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Sep 3, 2017

So only your opinions are valid without facts to back them up?

Backroads likes this.
  4. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Devotee

Sep 3, 2017

Since you can't point to any innovative teaching strategy that the charter movement has produced, I don't blame you for wanting to change the subject.

I utterly respect the hard work charter school teachers do. What I object to is the practice of pulling money out of struggling public schools to fund charters. This is not the way to improve education.

anon55, DressageLady and Backroads like this.
  5. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Sep 3, 2017

Venture Academy. The 200 students attending Venture Academy in Minneapolis, MN are divided into three communities that move between stations with different learning experiences – including interdisciplinary project-based learning, digital content, independent work, and tutorials (all in the course of one day). Teachers also participate in peer observations and the use of technology at the school is driven by its ability to support student learning.

Ingenuity Prep. The model at Ingenuity Prep in Washington, D.C. gives students 33 percent more learning time than students who attend schools with a traditional calendar. The school has also developed an innovative “career ladder” for teachers at the master, lead, associate, and resident levels to learn from one another and encourage professional development.

Hebrew Language Academy 2 will follow on the success of two Hebrew-themed public schools where language development looks different than you’d expect. Native English-speaking students and those whose first language is something other than English learn Hebrew through immersive instruction. The schools are socioeconomically, racially and linguistically diverse. And they defy a common charter myth, serving high-need students, and higher percentages of special-ed kids than their districts.

Is that ok for starters?

Backroads likes this.
  6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

Sep 3, 2017

This is the first year charter schools have been permitted in Kentucky. I don't know of a single one anywhere near me. I can't comment on their effectiveness.

Kentucky, however, has worked really hard to revamp the public school system over the last nearly 30 years. Has it all worked? Nope. Are we headed in the right direction by making continual improvements? Yes. Are charter schools the answer? I seriously doubt it. You know why? It is because there is no single magic bullet to fix anything in education. Never has been. Never will be.

TrademarkTer and svassillion like this.
  7. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Devotee

Sep 3, 2017

[QUOTE="AlwaysAttend, post: 2042660, member: 74017" Charters don't kick kids out for doing poorly on tests.[/QUOTE]

Actually, many charters do kick out students who might bring down their scores. It's one of their tricks to "prove" they outperform public schools. Public schools must take all students. Putting a student in an alternative school does not remove that child's test scores from the public school's record.

anon55, DressageLady and svassillion like this.
  8. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Sep 3, 2017

Actually, many charters do kick out students who might bring down their scores. It's one of their tricks to "prove" they outperform public schools. Public schools must take all students. Putting a student in an alternative school does not remove that child's test scores from the public school's record.[/QUOTE]

Are you going to comment on the information you asked for?

Each school produces unique testing data. We do not lump entire districts together.

If someone was removed due to test scores they would receive a significant sum of money in the lawsuit they filed after.

9. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Sep 3, 2017

Actually, many charters do kick out students who might bring down their scores. It's one of their tricks to "prove" they outperform public schools. Public schools must take all students. Putting a student in an alternative school does not remove that child's test scores from the public school's record.[/QUOTE]

Not to mention your source is rediculous.
    I don't say that because of it's political leanings I say that because it's an amateurish blog.

Daily Kos (/ˈkoʊs/ kohs) is a group blog and internet forum focused on liberal American politics. Additionally, the site features a participatory political encyclopedia ("DKosopedia"), glossaries, and other content. It is sometimes considered an example of "netroots" activism.

10. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

Sep 3, 2017

Just so you know, my traditional public school uses a peer observation model, and we also stress the use of technology to enhance student learning. All of our schools are equipped with Smartboards, audio systems, and WiFi. (I had a Smart-equipped classroom and mobile lab 10 years ago.). We have computer labs, and we are moving to a 1:1 district starting this year by certifying students in the pilot groups to use their devices this year. Approximately half of all staff members in each school were Google Educator trained last summer. I did the training on my own, and I'm the first person in the building with Level 1 Google Certification. I'll be doing Level 2 next month.

We use teacher leadership teams at the building and district levels to provide opportunities to use our own people as leaders within the buildings. We provide professional learning through a PLC model. The majority of our PD comes from our own people.

No, we are not a district with a variety of socioeconomic levels, languages, or races. That's not because we leave those groups out. It is because we don't have them. We are a rural, high poverty school. Our students are 99.98% white and 70% free lunch. Our community has no industry. We have a high percentage of students with disabilities or other factors that make them at risk for failure. We also have some amazingly great success stories.

ready2learn and svassillion like this.
  11. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Devotee

Sep 3, 2017

Here's a review of the school from the standpoint of staff: "This 'school' is truly a prison for teachers and students. Educators are deprofessionalized almost entirely in this environment. Each classroom must be set up identically. The schedule is predetermined. There is no room for creative autonomy, or maneuvering what you feel is best for your students. Everything is prescribed for you, and you are expected to comply. Administration is largely white, and students are 99% black. Children are conned into walking on lines, forced to fold their hands while seated as young as 4 years old, and criminalized if they cannot keep up with the developmentally inappropriate practices. There are 'behavior rooms' at the end of the hallway where students are shunned for having tantrums or when not in full compliance of the white authority. There is little to no time for water or bathroom breaks for anyone. Students are always in 'trouble'. As are teachers. Let your moral compass shine. Pass this one up."

I also find it amusing that someone who quotes freerepublic.com complains that my sources are biased.

Charters have not discovered any silver bullet, but they have taken much needed resources from public schools and squandered it.

12. Backroads

Backroads Enthusiast

Sep 3, 2017

So my charter school was bad for improving reading ability?

13. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Devotee

Sep 3, 2017

NO! Your charter is not bad at all. I never said that. I said it's wrong to take money from public schools to run charters. I'm completely fine with charters and private schools, just not publicly funded.

DressageLady and svassillion like this.
  14. svassillion

svassillion Rookie

Sep 3, 2017

Private special ed schools? I thought we were talking about charters?

And maybe charters in NJ are different from ours, but I know charters here that are guilty of the things you're saying they can't do. Not because my union says so, but because I see these students get sent back to our district after a year. I also nannied before becoming a teacher to a boy who went to a charter and saw it first hand. They won't say test scores are the reason they're not invited back, but they will recite every infraction ever made by the student to say the family is not following the rules of conduct. And these aren't rules about behavior, but things like not wearing their belt to school one day as prescribed in the dress code (in kindergarten) or being tardy two days in a month. They pile them all up and use it as evidence that the family is not following school policy so is no longer invited to attend. That's what I see from the charters around me and I am in no way saying they are like that everywhere. But I feel like you may be assuming all charters are as unbiased as the ones you are familiar with.

anon55 and DressageLady like this.
  15. Backroads

Backroads Enthusiast

Sep 3, 2017

But a private charter is an oxymoron..

Perhaps they run differently in my area, but charter schools here are public. They are given state money. They take anyone and everyone by law, no different than a regular public school. We receive Title 1 funds based on our impoverished community. The only difference is we answer to the state and not a district.

16. svassillion

svassillion Rookie

Sep 3, 2017

That sounds amazing especially considering the high number of economically disadvantaged students you have. Kudos!

futuremathsprof likes this.
  17. mathmagic

mathmagic Connoisseur

Sep 3, 2017

This is one reason I absolutely love my district: there are numerous "choice schools" that provide different (not better, not worse) opportunities and types of schooling within the same K-12 district / "public school" realm, and students are chosen randomly from the applicants.

18. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Comrade

Sep 3, 2017

Ditto. Even though I live in California, I am happy with my salary. A little about myself: I'm 25, work at a private high school, am a fourth-year teacher, and currently make $55,000. When I clear my preliminary credential I will get a $4,000-$5,000 raise. Not to mention, I get generous benefits through my employer, which I recognize that not all public school teachers get. Also, because of the rising minimum wage in California -- which will reach $15/hour in 2022 -- I can continually negotiate a higher salary with each passing year!

Look up California Labor Code 515.8, which deals with teacher overtime compensation. Basically, it says in order for a teacher to be exempt from overtime, they must make no less than twice the state minimum wage. Currently, this is $10.50/yr. Next year, it will be $11/hr and will increase by $1/hr until the year 2022, as aforementioned. That means the least amount a private school teacher can make is $52,000 (2*15*40*52*10/12) per year to be exempt from overtime pay. I already calculated in a spreadsheet the percent increase as a result of the minimum wage increase and I will ask for said increase each year.

Man I love California!

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
  19. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Sep 3, 2017

I'm aware there are fantastic public schools and mediocre charter schools. Is that really the point you are making...

20. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Sep 3, 2017

You do know there are entire studies built around having a prescribed classroom set up so as not serve as a distraction for students correct?

There is also significant data to support the success their model has with students. This data is generated by tests administered and deemed developmentally appropriate by the state in which they operate.

There's a reason why parents are banging on the door to get them in. You seem to equate them with the schools set up for Native American children to steal their culture from them. Is that what you believe?