EdJoin Process Help! California

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Sab, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Sab

Sab Rookie

Apr 13, 2017

So I just earned my multiple subject teaching credential in California and am looking for jobs for next school year. There are tons of jobs posted on Edjoin and I've applied to several, and some I can see are "district viewed." Is it a bad sign that I haven't heard back from anyone once my applications are viewed, or is that normal because it's still early? Should I follow up? How many places should I be applying?

ALSO, how do I show NCLB compliance when it's required to upload it? From what I can tell, I have it from passing all the CSETS, but I don't have a certificate or whatever. Do I just upload my CSET scores?

I'm also confused on CLAD certification...I have the new credential type so apparently CLAD comes with it, but I don't know what to do when the applications require it to be uploaded other than just upload my credential again...

Any advice anyone could offer would be much appreciated.

3. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Apr 13, 2017

Hello, and welcome to the forum!

1) "District viewed" - Some districts are honestly as slow as molasses on the follow up. They may also just be collecting applications for a couple weeks (or even longer) before they do a darn thing. I hate when you can see they viewed them but nothing is happening, so I get it. Since you're new, I would apply to every single position you can reasonably commute to. I wouldn't follow up. Many CA districts do not appreciate that, especially the big ones.

2) NCLB compliance is such an outdated thing to ask for, ugh. But yes, I think you should upload the scanned report of your CSET scores for that.

3) CLAD is covered by your credential. I applied somewhere recently (I'm switching jobs next year) that asked for the EL authorization category. I just uploaded my credential again like you said, because it meets that requirement. (p.s. According to https://www.edjoin.org/FAQS?faqID=13 - "The TCMS is the SB 2042 Multiple Subject credential issued since the year 2000, which includes the English Learner (CLAD).")

Hope that helps. :)

4. Sab

Sab Rookie

Apr 13, 2017

Thank you! I'm pretty flexible in what districts I can apply to because I can literally move anywhere once my lease ends in May, though there are certain areas I'd prefer! I just worry about my poor references when I flood the applications in everywhere, haha. I guess not hearing back is stressing me out especially because I don't know where to look for housing...guess I'll just keep applying and hope to hear back from somewhere soon!

5. hellokimmie84

hellokimmie84 Rookie

Apr 14, 2017

I'm in the same boat, and some districts I think won't be doing much interviewing until May, June, or July. Considering how we are experiencing a teacher shortage in California I don't think you have anything to worry about. Just apply everywhere you can. Keep us updated!

Sab likes this.
  6. SageScience

SageScience Rookie

Apr 14, 2017

I was looking at postings on EdJoin this morning. I think schools are still posting things.
    By the way, is EdJoin only for California or does it mainly focus on California? Or do other states post openings on EdJoin?

7. sportsguy

sportsguy Rookie

Apr 14, 2017

If you can figure out which school the opening is at, you're best off e-mailing the principal and stating your interest and qualifications.

I've gotten an interview with almost every school that I've done this with. Don't rely on HR bureaucracy for an interview.

SageScience likes this.
  8. hellokimmie84

hellokimmie84 Rookie

Apr 14, 2017

Some other states do, but I know a vast majority of districts use Edjoin to post their opening in California. There are a few select districts (I'm in the Central Valley) that don't use Edjoin, and you have to apply through their website.

yellowdaisies likes this.
  9. hellokimmie84

hellokimmie84 Rookie

Apr 14, 2017

Yes, this may help. You can always google the contact person to see if it's HR or if it's a Principle.:D

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  10. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Apr 14, 2017

I was first applying for jobs in 2012, when there basically were no jobs, and I literally applied everywhere in the state. I wouldn't worry about applying too many places.

The not hearing back is definitely annoying, but if these are "pools" (which I'm betting they are at this point in the season), the response time is going to be slow.

Was that in CA? I'd be very careful with this strategy in CA. Traditionally, it has been frowned upon in the areas I've applied (norcal and socal). The vast majority of openings right now are district pools anyway. To the OP - I'd read postings very carefully - they often specifically say not to contact the district or principals. And if it's a district pool, I would stay away from trying to contact anyone.

hellokimmie84 likes this.
  11. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Aficionado

Apr 14, 2017

My district is currently accepting applications via EdJoin; however, they won't begin setting up interviews for at least another month or so.

12. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Apr 14, 2017

I had a pool interview and accepted an open contract with a district last Monday. I've been told the specific positions won't happen for another month or so. They're still doing internal transfers, which I assume is probably what your district is doing too? I think my new district did it this way to try to get ahead of the massive hiring happening in our region. It's a relief for me! I'm anxious to know my school and grade level, but it's a huge relief to have a job this early!

hellokimmie84 likes this.
  13. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Aficionado

Apr 14, 2017

Yes! The dust is starting to settle, though! Each week, fewer and fewer transfer posting are coming out, which means new hires will be offered contracts very soon.

14. hellokimmie84

hellokimmie84 Rookie

Apr 15, 2017

Congrats on your early approval! What a relief that must be!! <3

15. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Apr 15, 2017

Thank you! :) It definitely is!!