Eclipse the first day of school??

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Sab, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Sab

Sab Rookie

Aug 11, 2017

The eclipse will apparently be most visible at 10:15am on the first day of the school year here. It's my first year teaching, and I don't really know what to do about it...it's a rare event and I kind of feel like I should cover it as a science teacher especially, but I'm not sure I could handle that or how it would go during the the first day of school. Some other district science teachers I've met have already ordered viewing glasses or equipment and I have none of that and no funds or anything. Should I try to do something for it or just let it go?? Does anyone else have an issue with this?

Ram Ochoa likes this.
  3. agdamity

agdamity Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2017

I would talk to your principal to develop a plan. I know my district is not allowing K-2 students to go outside and see it, and all 3-12 grade students will be allowed to go IF the district can find enough special glasses and the parents have signed a permission slip. I agree, it's a very teachable moment, but the potential liability of a kid looking directly at the sun is something to consider.

bella84 likes this.
  4. Sab

Sab Rookie

Aug 11, 2017

I know! I definitely don't want to have them go out and look at it without the right equipment and I feel like it would be a bit chaotic the first day before I know them when we haven't had time to go over rules and procedures or anything. Maybe when I have meetings at my site next week the principal will have a plan for it!

5. blazer

blazer Groupie

Aug 12, 2017 at 3:50 AM

If you can get hold of a telescope you can use it to project the eclipse onto a screen so the whole class can see it at the same time. If you use a translucent screen you can sit kids either side of it.As long as you have a window facing the Sun this can be done indoors.

Apparently mobile phone cameras do not have a light filter and so you can photograph the Sun with one.

Get a medium sized cardboard box, preferably rectangular in shape. Cut a square hole in one end about 6 inches square. tape a sheet of translucent paper over the hole to make a screen. At the other end of the box stab a round hole with a sharp pencil. Hold the box, small hole end pointing at the sun. It should be possible to get an image of the Sun on the screen. If you have enough boxes lots of kids can make their own viewers (pin hole cameras). The image is even clearer if you have the box open and upside down. Hold it above your head and look at the image on the inside of the screen. (This also means the kids are looking away from the Sun)

https://eclipse.aas.org/eye-safety/projection

Ram Ochoa and catnfiddle like this.
  6. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 12, 2017 at 6:32 AM

It will be the second week of school for us. Our principal ordered goggles for all of the students and staff. The best viewing timing my area, though, is 2 minutes before dismissal.

7. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Aug 12, 2017 at 8:48 AM

At my school they are extending the day by 45 minutes as the view time is right at dismissal. The district decided only middle school and high school students can go outside to view the eclipse, Elementary students MUST stay inside and view it on the smartboard via the NASA website. It totally sucks because this means I cannot go outside to see it. I am hoping most students will not come to school that day so I we can combine classes and teachers can go outside to view the eclipse.

8. vickilyn

vickilyn Maven

Aug 12, 2017 at 10:12 AM

Alternative ways of viewing - go to the Free Links thread - NASA will have real time footage as it moves across the United States, and a TON of other suggestions in the last 3-4 pages. It is worth a look since there are a ton of eclipse glasses out there for sale that are not actually good enough to view with. Good luck!

This link can be used indoors, without glasses, for anyone wanting "more" of the eclipse experience. NASA really outdid themselves.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017 at 10:55 AM
    otterpop and Ram Ochoa like this.
  9. blazer

blazer Groupie

Aug 12, 2017 at 1:57 PM

But looking on a screen is not the same as actually watching it for real. 9 years to go in the UK before our next full solar eclipse.

10. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Groupie

Aug 12, 2017 at 2:19 PM

Maybe scramble to get the materials and make them yourself?
    https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/EclipseCerealBoxViewer.pdf

11. vickilyn

vickilyn Maven

Aug 12, 2017 at 2:58 PM

Watching on a screen may not be the same, but if a school lacks the appropriate supplies to view safely, it is certainly better than letting children possibly injure their eyes by attempting to steal peaks at "what's happening" with eyes not protected. It also helps where eclipse time coincides with dismissal, etc. If you go to the free links, you can even find out about braille books for the blind and visually impaired - not the same thing, but better than being totally left in the dark as those around you are oohing and ahhing. (pun intended) Sometimes we can't have exactly what we want, but we can have what we need.

I, personally, will be visiting my sister in a zone of totality, which is so cool! Sister was the reason, eclipse was the fortunate bonus. If I were still in NJ, which won't see totality, I would trust the screen, time the darkness outside to what was happening on screen, and save my eyes. The amount of counterfeit eclipse glasses out there would scare me to death. I have reputable ones, but in totality, you don't need them for that brief couple of minutes. Outside totality, they must work and stay on the entire time.

12. blazer

blazer Groupie

Aug 12, 2017 at 3:44 PM

A telescope will cost you probably $40 and a whole class can view it.

13. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

Aug 12, 2017 at 9:01 PM

I would talk to others in the building and plan on doing something. It's not a moment I'd want to miss discussing. Our science teachers ordered eclipse glasses for all of the kids. However, we got an email last week that we are dismissing school that day for students. (It will be our third week.) Teacher are having a staff day. I hope they let us go outside to see it. I'll be disappointed if they don't.

My DH is having a non-traditional day. His kids do work at home, and he just has to be available to answer emails from students during school hours. (It will be his second week.)

14. Sab

Sab Rookie

Aug 12, 2017 at 9:06 PM

I didn't know it was going to be shown on the NASA website. That seems like a good alternative and I'll probably do that unless I hear of another plan from the principal!

15. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 13, 2017 at 5:30 AM

I wouldn't wait to be told about plans by your P--ask. Send an email today or talk to them first thing tomorrow; I'm sure that the district and school have guidelines in place that you'll be expected to follow.

16. Sab

Sab Rookie

Aug 13, 2017 at 10:09 AM

I'll ask before school starts at one of our meetings this week if it isn't brought up. It's not my biggest concern atm because I haven't even been given a class schedule or curriculum or told for sure what classes I'm teaching yet. I'm also still waiting for my district email so I can even access online content and stuff. So stressful

17. novaguy1968

novaguy1968 MS English Educator

Aug 13, 2017 at 11:30 AM

\It will be livesteamed on the web, yes?: OOPS, sorry, somebody already mentioned that

18. blazer

blazer Groupie

Aug 13, 2017 at 4:23 PM

A couple of years back we had a partial eclipse in the UK. We set up several different ways of viewing. I used the school telescope to project an image of the eclipse onto a screen. During the event a couple of our Phys ed teachers came into the lab to look at what was going on. One of them pointed at the screen and said "So that's the Sun" Yes I said. Then she pointed at the shadow part and said "So that's the Moon" Yes is said. She then said "So where is the Earth"? I told her to look down as he was standing on it!

19. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Phenom

Aug 13, 2017 at 8:09 PM

We won't be in school on that day but I've seen posts from many of the local eye doctors asking folks not to view it live, even with special equipment.

I'll be working that day so my only choice is to watch a video.

20. Backroads

Backroads Enthusiast

Aug 14, 2017 at 11:17 AM

Our school just gave up and wrote it up as a snow day.

mrsammieb and vickilyn like this.
  21. vickilyn

vickilyn Maven

Aug 14, 2017 at 11:45 AM

Now we all just have to pray for bright, clear skies! Can you imagine how someone will try to reconcile snow day in August in a few years, when no remembers the clipse? That will have them scratching their heads!

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017 at 9:33 AM
    mrsammieb likes this.