Easy ways to teach MLA citations

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by linswin23, Jan 3, 2013.

1. linswin23

linswin23 Comrade

Jan 3, 2013

Does anyone have any quick and semi-fun activities to teach MLA citations? I am trying to insert a 5-10 minute activity over a unit on Martin Luther King Jr. that will require my kids to cite their sources.

3. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Jan 3, 2013

Have you ever used EasyBib for MLA citations? I show my students how to enter the bibliographic info on there so they get proper works cited pages. I like it a lot!

4. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Fanatic

Jan 3, 2013

Be careful about sites like EasyBib, they aren't always updated when MLA decides to change the citations (every couple years or so).

Personally I teach my kids the current methods and tell them the best bet is to always check with OWL at Purdue. They give you a very easy formula to follow and it's something I used all through college to double check citation formats.

It's not the most stimulating topic I teach, but the kids learn where to go to access that info and how to use it and that is the most important part to me.

5. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Jan 3, 2013

EasyBib (from my experience, at least) has always been up to date. Some of the other citation websites are not updated in accordance with the revised citation styles, though. I love the OWL at Purdue website, too, and also use that with my students.

6. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Fanatic

Jan 4, 2013

Interesting. One of my kids said he used it in November but it gave him the wrong format for a website. Perhaps he used something else.

I still like my kids to know how to do the cites themselves, especially my seniors since I have college prep and AP. I still can't get some of my sophomores to even put it in alphabetical order...

7. DKM

DKM Rookie

8. Ms.SLS

Ms.SLS Cohort

Jan 30, 2013

For in-text citations, I have my kids do an interview synthesis activity. They each get a handout with the question "What does it mean to be successful in today's world."
    First, they answer the question themselves. Then, they go around and get three other students' answers. They write the other students first and last names next to their answer. Then we practice putting together the information in a paragraph, citing their "sources" in parenthesis, and at the end, doing a mini bibliography citing their three "interviews."

9. Furthuron

Furthuron Companion

Apr 15, 2013

If you PM me, I will email you a document I've been using that has worked pretty well so far.

10. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Apr 15, 2013

My students loved to find mistakes in the citations.

I would also give my students a paragraph that I would type up using two sources. Then I would give my students a copy of the three sources and they tried to figure out which two I used and where I should have included citations in the paragraph.

I also would give my students all the parts of a citation on different pieces of paper. I would even put the different punctuations used on separate pieces of paper. Then my students would try to unscramble the citations.