Earthquake Preparation for Non-Earthquake Prone Areas

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Obadiah, Nov 13, 2017 at 7:00 AM.

1. Obadiah

Obadiah Habitué

Nov 13, 2017 at 7:00 AM

This morning's paper indicated a powerful earthquake killed at least 140 between the border of Iraq and Iran. Recently, I watched a video from school security cameras of students exiting a building in Mexico during a quake. This morning, I was thinking of the in-school workshop we had about 11 years ago in how to prepare for a potential earthquake. We were in an area in which an earthquake would be rare if ever, but...it could still occur. A few years later, one did occur in my hometown while my family was eating lunch.

It was a small one. I didn't realize what it was. I just felt my chair moving back and forth and I couldn't figure out how our small dog was able to be pushing on my chair with such force, but he wasn't even near anyone's chair. Then we realized it was an actual earthquake, my first to experience.

Anyway, my workshop mentioned a simple procedure to ensure everyone's safety, should such an event occur. We were told not to have anything stored above head level that could fall down on somebody causing injury. A simple precaution that might be lifesaving, but to be honest, I never thought of such a precaution before.

3. Backroads

Backroads Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2017 at 7:24 AM

I am in an earthquake-prone area. Are buildings up to standards? Is food/water storage accessible?

Obadiah likes this.
  4. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Companion

Nov 13, 2017 at 3:04 PM

That's why I cringe when I see home design shows that hang mirrors/framed photos on walls right above beds and cribs. If not properly secured, even the vibration from close lightning can make them fall on someone's head.
    Also know how to detect a gas leak and how to shut off your gas.

We had earthquake drills even though we rarely get them, and I remember once in HS my chem teacher wasn't going to participate (he got caught by roaming admins and we did do the drill) and not two weeks later we had an early morning quake with aftershocks through the school day.

Obadiah likes this.
  5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

Nov 13, 2017 at 5:22 PM

We are not in an earthquake prone area, but we have had some small ones. I remember three or four in my lifetime. (I'm 47.) We make sure tall shelves are secured. I don't hang anything heavy over my bed or chairs/sofas I'm likely to be sitting in on a regular basis at home.

We have an earthquake drill at work once or twice a year.

Obadiah likes this.
  6. Belch

Belch Rookie

Nov 14, 2017 at 3:36 AM

The ol' duck and cover drill is good for earthquakes if they happen during class. A desk can take more of a pounding than a skull.

One myth you might want to dispel is standing in a doorway. Not only is that not going to offer much of a shelter, but the door is going to be sitting there, and that is a really big and heavy object that can hurt anybody standing there.

Other than that, the only thing I would add is to get out after a heavy earthquake because an aftershock can damage what is left of the building.

If you want to protect your classroom prior to an earthquake, look at things like bookcases next to walls. Placing a small wedge under the front of the bookshelf can keep it from falling over. The small wedge (maybe nothing more than a piece of cardboard, but I use rubber strips) will keep those things from falling over and hurting somebody.

I forgot the most important thing which is that you need to ensure your safety first, rather than running around trying to help each student. After the earthquake, you'll be in a building which is structurally unsound that is filled with students that need to be led out of the building as quickly as possible. If you are running around trying to make sure that everybody is safe, but are injured in the process, your students will be left to their own devices.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017 at 3:45 AM
    Obadiah likes this.