Earth materials

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by leighbball, Jan 24, 2006.

1. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jan 24, 2006

Science is by far my students favorite subject...we just got a new kit called Earth materials and I will be starting a mini-unit on the Earth and its layers next week. Does anyone have any ideas to spice up the unit? My co-workers use a textbook from the early 80's and copy pages out of it and have the students answer questions...my kids will go nuts if I even try that (especially considering I only have 7 copies of the book for 20 kids!).

I plan on doing stuff with the Magic School Bus books on earth and volcanoes...any other suggestions?? :)

PS- I teach 3rd:)

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 25, 2006

Make models of the earth's layers - bake a cake, use clay, pudding, etc.

4. Miss Starr

Miss Starr Companion

Jan 25, 2006

I have done the earth's layers with food before too. I use vanilla pudding with red food coloring as the magma. Then crushed up oreos and nilla wafers as the next two laters and then green cocnut as the crust. I let the kids crush the cookies in baggies. That is their favorite part besides eating it.

5. SoMuchToDo

SoMuchToDo Rookie

Jan 25, 2006

Try to google "Earth's Little Apple lesson plan"! I will look in my files tomorrow at school and get back to you if you can't find it. It is a lesson that uses apples to teach about the earth- 3 layers- skin of apple, flesh of apple , and core of apple. Divide the apple into fourths and show 3/4 water and 1/4 land. It has lots of other activities to do with the apple, I just cannot remember off the top of my head.