E-mailing Principals in Addition to Submitting App?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by WarriorPrncss, Sep 5, 2017.

1. WarriorPrncss

WarriorPrncss Companion

Sep 5, 2017

Hello all...

I live in California and virtually all schools require applicants to apply through edjoin. Given that most schools have already began the school year positions are in short supply. I am wondering if it is inappropriate to e-mail a school site principal to introduce yourself before a possible interview?

I've e-mailed two --- one never responded, and the kind of chastised me-- telling me I needed to apply via edjoin--- (my email clearly stated that I had applied, but wanted to further introduce myself).

Given the reaction of one principal and no response from the other, I am wondering if I made an inappropriate choice?

3. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Fanatic

Sep 5, 2017

We have a similar system here and I followed the rules to a tee for five years. I didn't get a single interview in those five years. This year I applied via the system and also emailed my resume to principals to introduce myself and I actually got an interview! I only received one other response, which was a kindly worded rejection. Most of my emails did not get a response, but it really doesn't hurt as long as you clearly state that you have applied via the system (which it sounds like you did).

4. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Connoisseur

Sep 5, 2017

I've been there, which given a state like AZ you think they'd welcome ANYONE reaching out to them. I sent a short email and got basically the same message ''Fill out the app and HR takes care of it.''
    o_O

I would say if that's their attitude and you don't get a job, you're dodging a bullet. I mean I get it. You wouldn't want to receive 100s of emails from applicants either, but if it's for a gig that's been posted FOREVER and I'm interested and reaching out, you should jump all over it. I have had some who have... and they responded with a follow up response and called to learn more.
    :D

I say if it's a gig you really want, reach out to stand out!

5. Always__Learning

Always__Learning Companion

Sep 5, 2017

I can see value in sending the email. I also think that a Principal responding to fill out the application as HR takes care of it is very reasonable. In my system, our Principal actually has no say. HR sends the list of who to interview to the Principal. So my P would respond like this, not because of attitude but because they were being honest with the applicant.

6. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Sep 5, 2017

I say as long as they don't specifically say not to, go ahead. Do not ignore their instructions though.

7. WarriorPrncss

WarriorPrncss Companion

Sep 6, 2017

My issue is that she was very rude out it--- in addition to telling me the position had been filled and was not at her site--- though, the listing specified her site, and her as contact for questions.

I went ahead and emailed the Principal at a school I am interested in. She thanked me and said she hoped my name was on her HR list... I wish HR was faster. The position closed last week and my application hasn't even been viewed. There was a local article saying some schools have 40+ kids per class until new teachers were found. Some have a subs until they hire a permanent teacher. Either way, you'd think they'd WANT to fill teacher positions ASAP seeing as the year has already begun.