E-mail access lost after leaving job

Discussion in 'General Education' started by teacherwithaphd, Jul 5, 2018.

1. teacherwithaphd

teacherwithaphd Rookie

Jul 5, 2018

Is it normal to lose access to your email account after you leave for a new job?
    Had I known this I would have backed up everything!

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

Jul 5, 2018

Yes. Once you are no longer employed, the resources you had, including email, are gone.

However, you might be able to contact the technology person to regain access long enough to get things backed up. I seriously doubt things were deleted, just deactivated.

otterpop and Maryhf like this.
  4. Been There

Been There Habitué

Jul 5, 2018

Hey Doc!
    Think about it. At their expense, some employers provide email accounts solely for the purpose of their employees to conduct company business. Should it not be expected that those same email accounts will be closed when and if individuals terminate their employment? Why would any employer continue to maintain the email accounts of former employees and allow them to have continued access? Would you do things differently if you were the employer? What could possibly be of such value that you now regret not having backed up everything (other than emails that would serve as critical evidence in a pending lawsuit against the district)?

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
  5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 5, 2018

Yes. It’s pretty much SOP.

6. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jul 5, 2018

Yep. When I left my previous school, my email was still cut off even though I was still teaching summer school in the district! The summer school P had to add my personal email to her list.

7. vickilyn

vickilyn Virtuoso

Jul 5, 2018

It is one of the best reasons to store everything on Google drive. I've seen grown teachers cry when thumb drives failed. One kept screaming that her whole life was on that drive. I have seen them disappear, fail,

bella84 likes this.
  8. bella84

bella84 Fanatic

Jul 5, 2018

I do this. You have to make sure it is a personal Google account though. If your school provides you with a Google account, you'll lose access to that, too, when you leave the job.

I always use Apple Mail or Outlook to download my work emails onto my own personal computer. Then, when I leave a job, I still have a record of all of the emails and attachments available to me.

9. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Jul 5, 2018

Mine was gone the next day and I really could have used it to help with my retirement and communicating with the district staff. I knew other staff that still had theirs over a year later. When I asked the reply was "the new guy in HR and Tech. did it"

10. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Devotee

Jul 6, 2018

Well yes.. why would you still have access to it?

11. Aces

Aces Rookie

Jul 6, 2018

I mean this is pretty standard SOP for any job not just teaching. Remember most likely the school is paying for the server that hosts the email system. Every account takes up space.

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 6, 2018

A resounding "Grump!" on your behalf, stephenpe. I get removing email access when an employee resigns - but most of the emeritus (=retired) professors I know have continued to use their university emails, and it just seems weird for a district to be this hard-nosed about you after all these years.

futuremathsprof and stephenpe like this.
  13. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jul 7, 2018

Yes. My last school gave me the summer to get everything off before closing my account.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  14. teacherwithaphd

teacherwithaphd Rookie

Jul 11, 2018 at 9:54 AM

Thank you and everyone else for their messages.
    I talked to some colleagues that where leaving as well and the same thing happened to all of us at once. I understand that it's their account and it costs money, but please consider that they didn't give us any notice as to when we'd lose access to our accounts.
    On day, overnight, they were just disabled.
    Would have been nice to have a deadline to backup messages, etc...
    Oh well. Lesson learned.