E-learning and game based learning

Discussion in 'General Education' started by 0opinguo0, Oct 19, 2009.

1. 0opinguo0

0opinguo0 New Member

Oct 19, 2009

Hi
    I am a student at the University of Cumbria starting my second year and would like to start a discussion on the subject of game based learning. I would appreciate it if people could contribute their ideas.

- what are your views and feelings, as a teacher? as a parent? or someone with just general interest?

- what are the advantages/disadvantages of game based learning?

- do you feel there are any social, moral or ethical issues to game based learning?

- if you are a teacher how do you incorporate game based learning into your lessons if at all?

- have you had any feedback on how successful game based learning was?

does any one have any further opinions on the subject of E-learning?

any comments are much appreciated

Thanks
    Helen

3. MathNrd

MathNrd Rookie

Oct 19, 2009

Games can be useful. But I suggest using them in moderation.
    I teach high school math. I use games as a means of reviewing before tests or sometimes as a Friday break. I DO NOT use games as a way to present new material.
    Games make it fun. When we play games I never have to worry about participation.
    Some of the games we play...
    (1) The Review Game
    Split the class up into groups of 3 or 4. Each team picks an appropriate team name. I put a question on the board for team one, if they get it correct then they get a point, if they get it wrong then team two can try to steal the points. The next question goes to team two and so on down the line.
    (2) Jeopardy
    This one takes some work. One of my colleagues made a powerpoint that we use for this.
    (3) Battleship
    We use the Smartboard. Split the class up into groups of 3 or 4. Each team picks an appropriate team name. I put a question on the board. Each team that gets it correct gets to shoot at another team. If they get the question wrong then they have a misfire and have to give up the coordinates of one of their ships.
    (4) Survivor
    (5) Math Wizards and Warriors
    (6) we are working on Risk right now.

4. MarKus

MarKus Rookie

Oct 19, 2009

MathNrd is right.. Games is helpful in some ways but they should be played moderately.. It can lead to game addiction and the productivity of the child could suffer.

5. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Oct 20, 2009

I use a lot of games in primary - usually math games or word games. The math games teach strategy, numbering, cooperation, social skills. I am all for using games for learning! Actual involvement makes learning fun, interesting, and effective, much better than sitting still and listening to a teacher talk constantly!

We play checkers, chess, Blokus, UNO, War, Go Fish, Guess Who? Junior Boggle, Bingo, word Bingo, Wordo, and lots of other games I can't think of! The kids really love the games and don't realize they are learning while playing. One of our teachers uses a program that has a game for homework everynight! The kids keep laughing that they get to play a game instead of doing homework (worksheets), but they are actually using higher level learning, plus getting to play a game with a parent!

6. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Oct 20, 2009

bonneb, I use games for many of the same reasons. Can you give more info on the homework game idea?

7. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Oct 21, 2009

I'm sorry - I am not familiar with her program, just have heard the kids talking about how much fun it is to have games for homework! I do know she uses Bridges for her math program so you might look into that.

8. henrycarrey

henrycarrey New Member

Oct 22, 2009

It can be effective at times as you began to participate in group and your skill gets enhanced by working with various people around you.

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 22, 2009

I teach high school, so please take that into consideration before you pick up your rocks.

I don't think school should be entirely about games.

I think that too many people, both adults and kids, expect our kids to be blissfully entertained each and every moment they're with us. We're teaching a generation that's all about "keep me happy or I'll get the remote." Instant gratification is the hallmark of much of their lives, and it simply is not healthy.

An occasional game may be useful for some to break things up.

I don't use games. Ever. It simply isn't my style.

I joke around with my kids. I review when review is needed. But we don't play games.

10. 0opinguo0

0opinguo0 New Member

Oct 22, 2009

thank you to all those who have already responded! you have no idea how useful your contributions and opinions are for my research.
    im also looking into the values of online gaming, does anyone happen to have any opinions as to whether there are in fact any educational benefits to them? can a chilsd learn to be social through their use, or do you feel they disconnect the child from the 'real' world? the online gaming can include social netowrking subjects; facebook, myspace, twitter, bebo etc.

once again thank you to all those for responding so far!

Helen
    xx

11. MathNrd

MathNrd Rookie

Oct 23, 2009

I believe that the Zen response would be that they have good elements as well as bad elements. They can be useful as well as harmful and if used should definitely be used in moderation.

12. Liljag

Liljag Companion

Oct 23, 2009

Actually I find alot of benefits in online gaming. Take elementary school for example. Alot of kids I meet whilst doing my teacher training there play online games such as World of Warcraft. Take for example language learning in gaming. Most online computer games are completly in English. Alot of kids from second grade up in my school play WOW and pick up lots of English from it...they are in an environment where alot of people don't really understand their mother tongue (I'm from Sweden and about 90 % of my school has that as their first language the other 10 as their second or third) so they are forced to communicate in English. They pick up even finer points such as grammar, punctuation, etc....even if they learn alot of LEET speak, they are improving their communications skills in the game. You also have to think that alot of online games don't have a specific order to what you do in that game. So alot of the younger kids playing World of Warcraft might spend their time flying/riding around the game with their mounts or do random actions in the game rather than go in raid groups and such and not all of them are interested in what we consider "gaming" though they are playing.

One can also think that in order to play a game, you have to understand the rules. In more strategic games, there are alot of rules that one has to use in order to succeed and so alot of learning goes on there.

Even really young ones can benefit from simpler games when it comes to hand-eye coordination/technique.

And then there are always the pedagogical games.

In Sweden it isn't that unusual to see kids even at really young ages playing with computer games. We are one of the most wired nations in the world (the most wired according to Forbes) and computers are a part of the culture. I think that when WOW came out there were around 3 million playing it at its peak..considering there are only about 9 million (9,316,256 if you want to be exact) in the whole country that's just a whole darned lot I would say :)

I also find it a great ice-breaker with kids to talk about online gaming. Yes, of course their are many negative sides to gaming such as computer gaming abuse and such but there are positives.