Dressing Professionally in the Summer

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms.Holyoke, Jun 13, 2017.

1. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Comrade

Jun 13, 2017

I am student teaching next year and I'm looking for ideas for dressing professionally in the summer. The teachers I am around now wear capris (which I hate...they look bad on me since I'm short). A few teachers also wear sundresses that are very short. I know I will be expected to dress much more professionally than this however. Ideas?

3. rpan

rpan Comrade

Jun 13, 2017

Dress in layers! Pants are my staple because I never want a Marilyn Monroe moment but I always wear sleeveless tops and a cardigan in case it gets cold.

justwanttoteach likes this.
  4. phillyteacher

phillyteacher Comrade

Jun 13, 2017

We do not have AC in most of our schools so it can be HOT at the beginning and end of the year. Capris and long shorts are not flattering on me, so I tend toward sundresses that aren't too short, worn over capri length leggings. I feel more covered that way. I also have some ankle length lighter weight pants that I wear with sleeveless tops.

Find out if the school you're going to is air conditioned, though, because like others have said that may cause the temp to vary throughout your day (e.g. cold inside so you'll want a sweater vs hot outside when you need to be out there with kids).

Upsadaisy likes this.
  5. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Fanatic

Jun 13, 2017

I wear dresses and skirts. I've taught K-6 and never had a problem wearing a dress. I always bring a cardigan in case the AC actually kicks in, but my room is so hot I never need one.

6. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 13, 2017

My school is year round and the AC here is... moody. I found a sundress on Amazon that have pockets. I'm 5'1", so finding this was so exciting, I bought it in every color.

Maryhf and Upsadaisy like this.
  7. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Comrade

Jun 13, 2017

All great ideas, thank you!!

I should try to buy some professional skirts. I just have a minor skin issue on my legs but I'm hoping to get it cleared up this summer. I'm wearing dress pants today and it's really hot!!

8. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jun 13, 2017

Sorry, just saw this thread... What is typical attire for a man summer school teaching?

9. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 13, 2017

I'd go for polo shirts that are made with wicking material. They look good but are MUCH cooler than traditional cotton or polyester. Rockhubby has a ton of them.

10. vickilyn

vickilyn Virtuoso

Jun 13, 2017

Just a note about sundresses - many districts don't allow any spaghetti straps, and be very careful about cleavage, and how much the neckline can move. Since our students can't wear spaghetti straps or tanks, neither can staff. For the guys, I second polo shirts.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
  11. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 13, 2017

I'm short and I wear Capri's all the time. You can dress them up a little or not. Can you wear open shoes/sandals? If it is really hot, wear an absorbent cami under your blouse. I'd also keep a change of clothes on hand. I live in FL, though, so I'm always prepared for heat.

12. phillyteacher

phillyteacher Comrade

Jun 13, 2017

The men in my building typically wear polo shirts or school tshirts with shorts. We're a pretty casual building, though, and our union contract stipulates that we can wear whatever we want.

13. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jun 14, 2017

Sleeveless with a collar is a sure bet to cover appropriately, keep you cool, and look professional. How about a maxi? Ankle pants?

14. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 14, 2017

Sleeveless might not be allowed in certain districts. Even my sundresses have short sleeves just to be safe.

15. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 14, 2017

I wear dresses a lot since we no longer have to wear panty hose! I do put on bicycle shorts underneath in case the wind gets frisky.

16. vickilyn

vickilyn Virtuoso

Jun 14, 2017

I love the concept of frisky wind. Hope you don't mind if I use it sometime to catch their attention to how details can make a sentence. Not intending to change the thread - simply appreciating word choice! :cool:

teacherintexas likes this.
  17. DAH

DAH Companion

Jun 14, 2017

"Professional" dressing means "conservative;" and "conservative" means "modest." So, think MODESTLY. Nothing too short (over the knees); try wearing your dresses halfway down the calf. Nothing too tight (the shape of your butt cheeks should not be visible) <-----That's NOT professional! But it happens ALL THE TIME. Nothing too low cut (no cleavage showing). Use the old fashioned rule, blouses are not to be lower than 2 fingers beneath the collar bone.

It surprises me how many districts SEEM TO have no dress code for teachers. In a conservative public school district that I worked for in southern California, the female teachers HAD TO WEAR collars (probably the men too). No collar-less blouses, dresses, or tops. We also could not wear our toes out. I think we could wear slings, but the toes had to be enclosed. Also, no tennis shoes; no Reeboks, Nikes things like that (for women). When people are allowed to do anything they want to do...things get OUT OF CONTROL and then it becomes IMPOSSIBLE to reel it back in without inciting a riot.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
  18. phillyteacher

phillyteacher Comrade

Jun 14, 2017

Gotta love hyperbole and opinion presented as fact...

19. vickilyn

vickilyn Virtuoso

Jun 14, 2017

All I can say is that I have a doctor's note to wear sneakers/athletic type shoes, and heaven help anyone who tells me I can't wear them. Old joints need all the help they can get. I admire those who are comfortable in heels, but both my feet and knees complain loudly whenever the shoes are not built to accommodate my poorly constructed joints. I think that the dress code can exist without being so rigid that common sense is thrown out the window. If you want good joints and feet for a long time, take care of them now, with clean, well fitted sneakers. If they are good enough for nurses, they are good enough for teachers., IMHO.