Dress Code enforcement

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pi-R-Squared, May 11, 2018.

1. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

May 11, 2018

For some reason, the P and AP have gone door-to-door to remind students of the dress code. A girl in my class was made an example by kneeling and being measured from the floor to the edge of her shorts. Yes, they were way too short. And there were others in the school who wore short shorts. It's almost as if the "pay attention to the dress code" mandate gets enforced every now and then and we teachers get constant reminders from admin. I'm busy enough trying to teach my subjects and am not gonna waste time with this. Am I in the right mindset here?

3. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

May 11, 2018

And they've waiting til the end of the year to start the reminders? Or has this been going on a while?

If dress code is questionable, send them to the office for someone there to check them.

4. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

May 11, 2018

It's every now and then reminders.... it's enforced early.... then there's a lull.... probably since we start the year during the hot days of August.... then it gets cold.... now it's gonna be in the 90s.... so the short shorts come out.... I find it ironic that the shorts that girls' volleyball wear would be dress coded!!

5. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

May 11, 2018

Volleyball shorts are the worst LOL. Shortie shorts! But then you would need to make sure cheerleader skirts were longer and majorettes didn't wear bathing suits with sequins.

But if kids wear shorts that are too short, turn them in. They know the rules. It may be hard to find longer shorts but it can be done.

2ndTimeAround likes this.
  6. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

May 11, 2018

As a male, I don't even mess around with the dress code. If they're in violation, their next period teacher can catch 'em. Sorry.

Reality Check likes this.
  7. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

May 11, 2018

I've been dealing several dress code violations from 6th grade girls. Ever since one student asked, "Why are you checking me out?" when I told her crop tops aren't allowed, I let female colleagues deal with female dress code issues.

Last edited: May 11, 2018
  8. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

May 11, 2018

Same here. I do not want to acccused of looking at a girl's chest, bottom, legs, etc.. trying to determine if their wear is appropriate. The thing is all students signed a form at the beginning of the year acknowledging receipt and reading of the handbook. You'd think students would know what to wear or not!

9. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

May 11, 2018

Do you enforce the male dress code?

2ndTimeAround and SpecialPreskoo like this.
  10. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

May 11, 2018

I've never seen a male wear anything in violation except a beer t-shirt once. I did tell my AP about that one, and the AP said it was fine...

11. MsAbeja

MsAbeja Companion

May 11, 2018

I find most dress codes to be incredibly sexist so I typically ignore them. The style right now seems to be high wasted jeans with a crop top, but only a sliver of skin occasionally shows. I think it isn't a big deal. I think a group of students are currently trying to petition to have our dress code updated and I fully support their efforts.

12. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

May 11, 2018

Dress code is a pain in the neck.
    That said, dress codes are there for several valid reasons. When you are a member of a community, you commit to following the rules to maintain your membership. (I would dislike it so much if students disregarded my class rules simply because they didn't think it was a big deal.) Additionally, most students will be in a workplace in the future. Nearly every workplace has rules, including attire rules, to which they must adhere. Dress codes help students learn to follow rules--even silly rules.
    As to being sexist, the very difference between men and women, physically, requires a difference in the code. What do we always tell students? Fair is what is best for each person. Sexism as it relates to a difference in gender does not apply. You would not expect the boys to have a bra showing through their shirts, but you do ask the ladies to keep their bras obscured. You would not expect to deal with a lady about facial hair, but our school does address the gentlemen about clean shavenness. (if that is even a word.) :)

YTG you are wise not to engage female students on this issue as it can be easily misconstrued. We have the same approach. The male teachers address the male issues, the female teachers address the female issues.

While we may all have different views about the appropriateness of certain looks for school, as teachers, we need to support the rules that are there for the sake of the students to whom we are teaching the value of being good members in a classroom. Just my view, for what it's worth, which may be nothing. :)

2ndTimeAround likes this.
  13. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

May 11, 2018

It's not like administration does anything about "dress code violations" anyway. I never enforce it. I've poured more than enough effort into a vacuum all these years.

14. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

May 12, 2018

Boys violate dress code by wearing tank tops. They were forced to put on a t-shirt. Extras from t-shirt sales or whatever admin had in their closets.

15. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 12, 2018

We keep extra long school tees for this purpose. As for the dress code being sexist, I keep a handful of zip ties for our young men who cannot remember to pull up their pants. This is not a joke.

16. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

May 12, 2018

I hate this argument. Dress codes are not sexist. It's just that the majority of the students that break dress code are girls. I've never seen a boy wear short shorts or spaghetti strap tops. Boys tend to wear hats more often than girls. But that's much easier to fix than ass cheeks hanging out of shorts.

FTR, I have sent a boy wearing tank tops that expose too much to the office as well.

17. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 12, 2018

Not with my male students, although the actual cheeks are covered. "[Student], it's called underwear for a reason. I don't want to see what's UNDER what you WEAR! Please keep your pants up or I will have to give you a zip tie."

18. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

May 12, 2018

I like the way our dress code is written. It is gender neutral. As a faculty we are working this summer to make changes to the dress code that we are tired of fighting. Leggings as pants are one of them. Clothes with holes in them is another.