Drama teachers? Any drama teachers?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by forbiddenpluto, Jul 11, 2007.

1. forbiddenpluto

forbiddenpluto Companion

Jul 11, 2007

I FINALLY got a job teaching drama! YAYS! However, I just found out that they are going to have me teaching stagecraft. I was wondering if anyone could shoot some ideas my way! TIA!

3. BASAM

BASAM Comrade

Jul 11, 2007

I don't teach drama but I can tell you a mistake our drama teacher made last year, he showed Romeo and Juliet (the recent version) to grades 2-8 without parent permission, without fast forwarding violence/nudity/language.....

Not that you would do that but it was came to mind when I read your post.

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 11, 2007

'pluto, I bet there's a professional organization for drama teachers, and I bet it would have useful resources for you.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 11, 2007

You got one!!! That's GREAT!!! Tell us about it!!

Did they give you any sort of a syllabus?

6. forbiddenpluto

forbiddenpluto Companion

Jul 11, 2007

Yup, there's EdTA, but I've gotta wait until they switch the membership over to me.

And no... no syllabus. I'm going to get ahold of the other stagecraft in the area, but that's about all I've got to go on. I checked out the state standards, and there's only like 4 for the whole subject! LOL

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 11, 2007

OK, so tell me: what's meant by stagecraft?

8. forbiddenpluto

forbiddenpluto Companion

Jul 11, 2007

Totally forgot to tell you about it. They're planning on hiring another teacher as well, so there'll be two of us. As of right now I'll be teaching some English 3 as well as stagecraft, but I've been told that may change. I also get to have the Thespians!!! I'm super excited about that!

9. forbiddenpluto

forbiddenpluto Companion

Jul 11, 2007

Stagecraft (as how I understand it) it teaching all of the various workings back stage. How do design and create sets, various styles of painting, how to create lighting design and sound design... Basically I'm teaching a creative use of power tools! LOL. I'm also planning adding in some costume and puppetry as well. :)

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 11, 2007

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 11, 2007

'pluto, have you checked to see whether EdTA has a Web site? Teacher organizations tend to have useful things on their Web sites... and in many cases you don't have to be a member yet to access 'em.

12. ChangeAgent

ChangeAgent Comrade

Jul 11, 2007

I'm an English teacher, but I participate in a lot of theatre. I have taught Romeo and Juliet (and showed the Baz Lurhmann film to 10th graders), and have performed in musicals and plays. Sadly, I never took any type of stagecraft class (in high school or undergrad). But, as I muse . . .

[I don't know if you have a degree in theatre--I don't!--so if any of these ideas seem to elementary, I'm just tossing things around, don't mean to be offensive!]

Perhaps choose a few different plays and create projects from those? "Okay, let's take a look at this children's theatre version of Cinderella. We'll focus on a story-book setting . . ."
    As a class, everyone can work on different set pieces of one design, or choose different ways to design.

I know there are DVDs out there of "the making of _____." Watching these may give some ideas.

Perhaps networking with the shop/technology, arts, family and consumer science, and electronics teachers would be beneficial. They may have resources, suggestions, or experience that you can apply. Since stagecraft has soooo many elements, the kids will need to have background in everything.

Does your school produce plays or musicals? Maybe your class can be involved with that? That way, they can work with the Stage Manager or whoever is in charge of set construction and lighting design.

I know my high school had a light and sound technician. If your school has one, maybe he or she will be willing or available to help--either with resources or guest appearances.

I'm so excited for you! I think stagecraft would be a pleasure to teach and explore!

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 11, 2007

A quick and beguiling resource from Usborne is Acting and Theatre by Cheryl Evans and Lucy Smith (Usborne, 1992/EDC, 2000, ISBN 0-7460-0699-3, $9.95). - there's not a lot of detail on anything, including stagecraft, but it's very illustrated and could give you some terminology with which to Google for useful Web sites.

I would expect Answers.com (and Wikipedia by way of Answers.com) to give you some useful links too.

14. forbiddenpluto

forbiddenpluto Companion

Jul 11, 2007

Hee hee... I AM the new resident stage manager and lighting/sound tech. LOL. So I've totally asked myself and come up short! ;) I really liked your idea of taking a play and hitting every aspect of it. THat would be a good mid-term/end of year grade.

15. ChangeAgent

ChangeAgent Comrade

Jul 11, 2007

Oh. Well then. LoL!

You mentioned you were teaching English as well, so I thought perhaps you were hired primarily as an English teacher. Sorry I misunderstood!

Well . . . congrats even more on being stage manager and lighting/sound tech!

If you have nothing else to go on yet, perhaps contacting some college professors may give you some ideas or potential texts or resources.

16. forbiddenpluto

forbiddenpluto Companion

Jul 11, 2007

I've found some good texts in my hunt tonight and I've emailed them to my principal.

I just think it's funny that I'm ending up teaching the one part of theatre I consider myself to be weak on. LOL.

I'm teaching English because I just passed the English 6-12 test and it makes things easier for them. :)