Dr. Wallace Offered Valuable Advice Concerning TV

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Obadiah, Oct 8, 2017.

1. Obadiah

Obadiah Habitué

Oct 8, 2017

Dr. Robert Wallace, in Tween 12 and 20, in my newspaper's Oct. 7 edition wrote the following:
    "TEENS: According to the publication, 'Parents of Teens,' the average North American...over the course of his lifetime, spends...12 years watching television....Here's my suggestion: Cut the television viewing by two-thirds. Think what you could do with an extra eight years of life!"

3. mathmagic

mathmagic Connoisseur

Oct 8, 2017

To each their own, in my opinion.

txmomteacher2 and Obadiah like this.
  4. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Comrade

Oct 8, 2017

What if watching TV is keeping them off the streets, and preventing them from engaging in drug use or violent behavior? Huh? What then Dr. Wallace?????

txmomteacher2 likes this.
  5. a2z

a2z Phenom

Oct 8, 2017

I've learned a lot about many subjects by watching TV. It may not be accurate but it exposed me to many fascinating things that I would not otherwise been exposed to. TV isn't always bad. You also can't make the assumption that people will be using their time more effectively or productively.

Obadiah likes this.
  6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

Oct 8, 2017

Eh . . . there are worse things to spend time doing than watching television.

I'm not even a huge fan of television as an adult. We own four televisions for two people. We subscribe to the top cable package, Amazon streaming video, and Netflix. We maybe watch an hour of television a night. Sometimes two when we don't have anything better to do. We have gone as long as six months without even having the television on.

My parents didn't restrict the television at home when I was growing up. The televisions were only in common areas, so no bedroom television. Pretty much if I was at home, the television was on. Dad watched a lot of television, too. I don't feel like I've missed out on anything because I watched a lot of television as a child. I learned a lot of things from television, and I was an honor student all through school.

7. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Oct 9, 2017

"Where's Wallace"
    NSFW

8. Obadiah

Obadiah Habitué

Oct 10, 2017

I have to agree, there is another side to the coin. TV is an amazing and productive invention. It can be a fine source of entertainment, information, and even education. I grew up on Lawrence Welk and his style of "champagne music", also known as "sweet music" during his era, it often unconsciously finds its way into my piano arrangements. My interest in science was certainly aided by the 4-H Club TV shows on science in my area, and another show, I can't recall the name of it, but 4 college age students would discuss various science topics. I also have to agree with TrademarkTer that watching TV is better than committing crime, although there is some evidence that under certain conditions overviewing of TV can overdevelop the lower brain and contribute to antisocial behavior.

Personally, however, I do find myself siding with Dr. Wallace. TV is generally constructed within 1/2 hour and 1 hour blocks of time. An hour from the day, whether constructive or not, is 1 hour from 24. Subtract 7-10 hours sleeping time (depending upon a person's age and sleep needs), and that's 1/15-17 hours. Back to the counter argument, so what if that hour is spent frivolously; the brain needs down time, and the brain actually works harder during times of rest. Two questions arise in my mind. When watching TV, am I missing a more productive form of brain rest? And is there another more profitable activity that is being neglected by watching TV. Personally, although we got rid of our cable a few years ago, I still enjoy a DVD now and then. I was watching an episode of Adam 12 just last night. And I do sometimes miss the news, The Weather Channel, and music shows on PBS. (Not that I'm saying there's anything wrong with purchasing cable; we just felt we weren't getting our money's worth and saw other areas where we'd rather use our money). But Dr. Wallace does have a point. Should I be cautious in how much TV I watch? 12 years of 24 hour days of TV time, 105,192 hours, is a lot of time to be reconsidered. (Hmmm, that would be 52,596 episodes of Adam 12. That would make for some significant binge watching)!

9. Obadiah

Obadiah Habitué

Oct 11, 2017

Oops! 30 minutes after posting I was in my car, entering the ramp to the freeway, not even thinking about this post, when suddenly my brain alerted me that I should have multiplied instead of dividing! I suppose I shouldn't have been multi-tasking while posting (at my desk eating breakfast). I was tempted to click the <Edit> and put a big red X on my post. Then I remembered what teachers might say after students catch their mistake, "Yes. I did that on purpose just to see if you were paying attention." Anyway, the correct (I hope) total 1/2 hour episodes in 12 non-stop years of TV would be 210, 384 episodes. (I wonder how many commercials that would be)?

10. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Oct 11, 2017

Don't worry, the post was so long, most probably didn't bother reading. Lol

Obadiah likes this.