DonorsChoose.org

Discussion in 'General Education' started by chicagoturtle, Jan 27, 2018.

1. MsAbeja

MsAbeja Companion

Jan 29, 2018

I just joined in May of 2017 and have managed to raise thousands of dollars worth of needed supplies for my classroom (I'm a first-year teacher and I have 4 completely different preps. I need a lot of stuff!) So far, parents of my students haven't donated anything. I have benefitted form MANY match offers (a philanthropist or corporation creates a match offer on DC and teachers write projects that qualify, then the corporation matches every donation that is made to your project.) Some are dollar-for-dollar matches and some are even better, 3-to-one or 5-to-1 matches.

DonorsChoose.org is actually well known for being incredibly transparent. They only take $30 per project written, with an additional optional donation that donors can choose not to give. But, it's worth it, I think, because of the work that they do finding awesome matching partners. Most of my donors have been people I don't personally know.

bella84 likes this.
  2. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jan 29, 2018

I had two projects funded. Both had matching funds that helped my projects come to fruition.

My school has banned them. I’m not sure why as I was getting school materials at no cost to them and we are severely cash strapped thanks to the legislator.

3. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jan 30, 2018

Well that is crappy!! :(

4. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jan 30, 2018

What's the reasoning behind the ban? Any idea?

5. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jan 30, 2018

Obvious reason is they don’t want it to look like they don’t fund well enough.

6. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jan 30, 2018

I'm supposed to have some DC'd robots arrive today...

SpecialPreskoo likes this.
  7. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jan 30, 2018

I'm headed to a PD trip in Florida next week...all expenses paid, thanks to DC! :cool:

8. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jan 30, 2018

DonorsChoose.org has jumped the shark. This crowd funding society we find ourselves in has reached silly proportions.

9. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 30, 2018

If you don't care for DonorsChoose, then don't use it.
    Meanwhile, I'll be water skiing with The Fonz.
    [​IMG]

10. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jan 30, 2018

Don’t you think using donors choose to take out of state for a PD is a little outside of the intended scope? Am I really the only one who thinks that?

11. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jan 30, 2018

Why do you care what they use the funds for? You don't like DC. So, the point is moot.

12. a2z

a2z Maven

Jan 30, 2018

Not who you responded to, but my take:

"DonorsChoose.org makes it easy for anyone to help a classroom in need. Public school teachers from every corner of America create classroom project requests, and you can give any amount to the project that inspires you"

It is designed to help classrooms, not further people's careers. If people start using it as education funding, people will move away from the good that Donorschoose.org was intended for.

I say if someone wants to get money for a PD, use GoFundMe because in reality the biggest benefit is to the person who is getting the funds, not the school.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
  13. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jan 30, 2018

I didn’t say I don’t like it, I just think they should pay for the ad space, just like that virtual teaching site that posts on here once a month. What does irritate me is the notion that this noble venture to help supply needy children is being used for a PD vacay. I’d be embarrassed even asking for that. Much like the people on here who were slamming the parents for sending out a registry to their one year old’s Birthday party a few months ago. To each their own.

14. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

Jan 30, 2018

Donors Choose lists professional development as one of the things its willing to help out with and provides a clear breakdown of how much teachers can request to cover various things. No one's going on an extravagant vacation on Donors Choose funds, especially if the PD is taking place in an expensive area.

https://help.donorschoose.org/hc/en...3-Creating-a-Professional-Development-Project

I've used Donor's Choose for a few things. The last district I worked in started a blended learning initiative and gave us all kinds of cool apps, websites, programs etc to use, but didn't give my building any tech. :rolleyes: I got a handful of iPads and some headphones with mics through DC.

15. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jan 30, 2018

What a scam. What’s to stop me and a friend from setting up a trip to Japan (for PD of course) and each of us entirely funding the others project? Why would we do that? We can write the whole thing off on our taxes.

Gotta love this world...