DonorsChoose.org

Discussion in 'General Education' started by chicagoturtle, Jan 27, 2018.

1. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Jan 27, 2018

Good Morning,
    If you are a public school teacher in the U.S. that has never posted (or never been funded), I can help you with a $5 match code towards your first project. I have been chosen as a teacher ambassador to assist new teachers in using the site.
    Here’s what you need to do:
    1) Ask me if you have questions - I have been using this website for years and have had many projects funded.
    2) Submit a project and then send me a PM with your project title and link!

3. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Jan 27, 2018

4. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jan 27, 2018

This isn't a self-promotion. It's a legitimate grant program that could help another teacher.

5. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Jan 28, 2018

My mistake. Sorry about that!

6. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Jan 28, 2018

futuremathsprof is the kid who reminds the teacher to assign homework.

bella84 and futuremathsprof like this.
  7. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Jan 28, 2018

Yes this is a website, check it out if you’re a public school teacher (or Head Start), where you can get items you need for your classroom. You “shop” for what you want, write a grant, and people can fund it. They’ve been around for 14 years and are on a campaign to add more teachers.

8. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jan 28, 2018

Yes but ChicagoTurtle gets something out of it so FutureMath was probably just saying Donors Choose needs to step up and pay for advertising. By all means, if people want to think the post is simply altruistic in nature, feel free.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  9. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jan 28, 2018

Okay, I will! :rolleyes:

Thanks, chicagoturtle for trying to get people hooked up with classroom resources! If someone hadn't told me about this site as a beginning teacher, I would have missed out on thousands of dollars of free stuff. I don't come with the free $5, but I can also answer any questions if you send them via PM. It's definitely worth a shot.

10. MsAbeja

MsAbeja Companion

Jan 28, 2018

I'm a frequent user of DonorsChoose.org and was also offered this opportunity to be an ambassador, and by all indications there were no "kickbacks" for the chosen ambassadors (actually part of the reason I decided not to participate. It sounded like a significant time commitment without a lot of extrinsic reward. )

At best, they'll get DC credits for helping new teachers navigate the site, but it isn't at the expense of the new teachers. DonorsChoose.org has been incredible for my classroom, I enthusiastically recommend it .

futuremathsprof likes this.
  11. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 29, 2018

Since ambassadors DO NOT receive anything for their time other than the knowledge of a hand up given, I agree that this is not spam or self-promotion. Actually, I will probably be in touch for some help getting started because I have no idea how to do so!

SpecialPreskoo likes this.
  12. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jan 29, 2018

Exactly. I would love to do a project but really have no idea where to start! LOL Guess I need to contact Turtle! :D

13. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jan 29, 2018

If you are in a school where funding is an issue, I understand using the site. Otherwise, you might as well try to raise funds from your class parents directly. They are the ones who will end up funding anyway. Why give donorschoose a cut of your money if you don’t need to?

14. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 29, 2018

My school is about 95% economically disadvantaged and about 40% homeless (this includes our "couch surfers"). The majority of our families are on SNAP and CHIP in order to make ends meet. I cannot ask them for money they don't have. However, I do have access to a loving, giving community who would happily help these students if they had the means.

15. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jan 29, 2018

Because it's not MY money. The product belongs to the school. I have DonorsChoose to be a fast way to get some things I need without spending my own money or begging administration. Do they take a cut of the money? Sure do. They probably have expenses and employees to pay. It's just business. I still get my donated stuff, so what do I care?

bella84 and SpecialPreskoo like this.
  16. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jan 29, 2018

Most of my students' parents don't have the money. My students aren't even able to get out and do fund raisers (moderate to severe ID). I have instructional money but sometimes you need more than you can afford. DC is a great way to get what you need. It would be nice to ask parents for this, that and the other and they get it for you.

MsAbeja likes this.