Does your team leader/grade level chair do get-togethers/meet & greets before school?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Em_Catz, Jul 21, 2014.

1. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Jul 21, 2014

This is my first year as a team leader and nearly everyone on my team is new. So, I've reached out to all my teammates to see if anyone's free for an informal "meet and greet" at a local diner.

I thought back to how when I was a new teacher I really appreciated that my teammates reached out to me. We all sat down at a coffee shop for a couple hours and just chatted.

Funny thing is my team leader wasn't there. She ended up being a cool lady, but I quickly learned she's not the type to want to hang out/fraternize outside of school.

What about your all? When you were new, did your team leaders do a meet and greet? Those of you who do not have new teammates, does your grade level chair have get-togethers over the summer?

3. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 21, 2014

I'm starting at a new school. I'll be meeting my new teammates sometime this week, but it will be at school. Teachers haven't started back yet, but summer school is going on and teachers are setting up their classrooms.

4. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jul 22, 2014

We don't have team leaders, but when I was new last year my teammates asked me out to lunch before school started. I definitely appreciated it! We will have a new teammate this year and we've already met her (she came in to shadow me for a couple of days), but we're still going to do a lunch the week before school starts anyway.

In my last school, I met with my new teammates during the school year during their planning period, and it seemed really stiff and awkward. The funny thing is I ended up loving them, but that first meeting definitely didn't put me at ease! I think doing something more "fun" is definitely a good idea!

5. missrebecca

missrebecca Comrade

Jul 22, 2014

At my last teaching job, I met my team for the first time at a planning session during our prep. They were really sweet, and brought some goodies for me and the other new teacher. We were just hired midyear, starting in January, so there wasn't much opportunity to meet earlier.

I'm curious to see how my new grade level team will "meet up" for the first time. I think I'm the only newbie. We've all reached out to each other by email or phone already, which I thought was awesome.

6. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 22, 2014

We don't have team leaders and have very little turnover, so if someone switches grades (usually due to enrollment) they already know the other teachers. That being said, I am switching grades this year and took my two teammates out to lunch to pick their brains, and then we just had some fun.

7. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 22, 2014

My "team" is just the two of us. I met with the retiring teacher to go over everything with her. I went back to school early to start setting up and talked with the other teacher then. She was super helpful.

8. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 22, 2014

My former team, that I spent 5 years with, usually did get together.

9. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Jul 22, 2014

We do have team leaders. We do not meet before summer beds, but one of the first in-service time slots is set aside for the team to meet.

10. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 22, 2014

I only had one team meet with me before school started when I was a newbie. It really did help and they ended up being great teammates.

11. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 22, 2014

We do not have team leaders. For my current school, I was transferred there (new district, transferred due to last minute numbers), I met them at PD our first day back on contract.

12. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jul 22, 2014

Yes, we do several things together. There are 14 of us in our grade level, so we try to plan several fun things together. We know not everyone can come, so it's open for whoever can. Spouses even sometimes come along.

There is a teacher store about an hour and a half away from us that has a yearly sale. We plan a shopping trip for that day for those who want to come.

We also do a beginning of the year lunch for those who can come. It happens about a week before we're on contract, and gives us a chance to catch up or meet new team members.

The day of our 2nd grade Winter program we all go out to eat at a local restaurant before the program.

We also do birthday lunches once a month. This past year we've all had the same lunch time, so it's been more of a pot luck type of lunch. In the past we've ordered out if someone can go get the lunches.

13. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 22, 2014

I´m the new team leader this year too! We´ll have to put our heads together. My team has always arranged a breakfast or lunch together before the kids start, but when we are there doing meetings and putting our rooms together. I plan on arranging the same thing for this year. We will have two new teachers on our team this year, so it will be nice to spend some team time together.

14. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 22, 2014

We also don't have team leaders. There are only 5 of us teaching grades 7 and 8; we'll likely sit down together the last week before school starts when we are in setting up our rooms. I'm very good friends with the teacher teaching the grade 6/7 class; we'll spend a couple of afternoons together over the next few weeks to talk about math and writing ideas.

15. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 22, 2014

I have had them before school, but only when that works for everyone.

16. brigidy

brigidy Comrade

Jul 22, 2014

Never, although it would be nice.

17. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Jul 22, 2014

My team leader won't, but I've reached out to the new teachers on my own & let them know I'm available if they want to meet up or have any questions.

I think what you did was great and could go a long way for morale :)

18. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Jul 23, 2014

WOW, that sounds awesome! I think when you're in a situation where more than one person is willing to coordinate (like yours) then it's easier to get people together and have fun. I wish I worked at your school because while I do have my friends, family and husband outside of work, I'd like to be closer to a few of my coworkers.

Congratulations! The thought of being team leader seemed a little intimidating to me at first, but then so did the thought of standing in front of a room full of kids for the first time. :)

Please, feel free to share any "team leader" wisdom with me and I'll do the same. :thumb:

L, you're awesome for doing that because I've been the new teacher to a team three times in my career and it was scary. The best team I've worked with so far is the only one that met up with me before school started. Granted the team leader didn't attend the lunch (like I said in OP she isn't the type to do anything outside of school hours with us), but I really appreciated the other ladies for coming.

Kudos to you for reaching out:thumb: I can tell you as a former new teacher that it's greatly appreciated

19. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 23, 2014

Thanks, and congrats to you too! Yes, I too feel a bit intimated. I just want to do a great job. Yes, let´s share our wisdom! :)

20. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

Jul 23, 2014

Our team leader is leaving our grade level for greener pastures (instructional coach position) so I don't know who our grade-level lead will be this year. Last year our principal gave us like 2 minutes to decide amongst ourselves.

Anyway, my whole team has gotten together once this summer. We ordered pizza, drank wine and hung out. I've also gotten together with a couple of team members (coffee, $1 movies with our small children) throughout the summer.

I think it's a nice gesture and sets the tone for a friendly working relationship. :)

21. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Jul 24, 2014

Congrats on being named team leader!!!! That's awesome!!!! :woot:

I think it's a great idea, especially since you've voiced concern over the new dynamics. :thumb:

Beth