Does your school have carpeted hallways?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by RussianBlueMommy, Nov 29, 2017.

1. RussianBlueMommy

RussianBlueMommy Comrade

Nov 29, 2017

I was chaperoning a field trip to a high school fairly far away from us and much larger. I noticed that it was a split level type and had carpeted hallways. Our classrooms are carpeted (except for labs), but not the hallways. Just a thought, I have never actually seen a carpeted school hallway.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Nov 29, 2017

We used to, but they were very stinky. Last year they were replaced with tile.

The high school I attended had carpeted hallways, but the elementary and junior high schools I attended had like marble-type flooring.

4. Indi

Indi New Member

Nov 29, 2017

Haha I love this question. And yes, our school has carpeted halls! :)

5. RussianBlueMommy

RussianBlueMommy Comrade

Nov 29, 2017

For some reason I find school building variations and layouts/design interesting. I can see how carpeting could get yucky! BUt I also think it makes walking more pleasant.

6. ms.irene

ms.irene Groupie

Nov 29, 2017

My school doesn't have hallways -- our campus is all outdoors :)

7. RussianBlueMommy

RussianBlueMommy Comrade

Nov 29, 2017

Do what? Like external entrances to all the classrooms with breezeway type thing?

8. blazer

blazer Groupie

Nov 29, 2017

My current school is carpeted in the corridors. The building is 12 months old. Gum is banned although the kids generally ignore that rule. Some gum has been dropped but the caretakers have a special solvent to remove it. To be honest the carpets are looking better than some parts of the school. We already have had to patch holes in the walls and floors and the ceiling has fallen down in two rooms already. We have had roof leaks. Several doors have sagged and so now won't close automatically (awkward as these are fire doors), the locks on many rooms have fallen apart. You don't get much for £15,000,000 these days ( $20,000,000)!

9. RussianBlueMommy

RussianBlueMommy Comrade

Nov 29, 2017

Our HS Just got a bond for 700 K

10. Backroads

Backroads Enthusiast

Nov 29, 2017

Growing up, yes, and all the older schools have them!

A couple of years ago I got a bee in my bonnet about how gross carpet is. Give me a hard tile floor in a school any day.

11. RussianBlueMommy

RussianBlueMommy Comrade

Nov 29, 2017

Plus it holds allergens :(

Backroads likes this.
  12. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Comrade

Nov 29, 2017

Nope, the only place with carpet in my school is the media center and the main office. I hate keeping the carpet clean in my home. I can't imagine the nightmare of keeping it clean with 1400 high schoolers a day traversing it with all their food and beverage.

13. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Aficionado

Nov 29, 2017

Ditto!

Must be a CA thing!

allaphoristic likes this.
  14. AmyMyNamey

AmyMyNamey Comrade

Nov 29, 2017

We have tile.

I've never seen a clean carpet in any school.

15. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

Nov 29, 2017

My elementary school had carpet in the hallways and hardwood in the classrooms. Middle school had carpet in the classrooms and tile in the hallways. Now everything is tile except the library and band room. They have carpet.

16. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Nov 29, 2017

My current school is all tile, but in a previous school we had carpet. I can't imagine why anyone would think that's a good idea...think how many things get spilled in a school hallway!

On the other hand, we're getting a new school building next year. The architects, furniture suppliers, etc. keep asking us to go to meetings to "give input." Many of their ideas are ridiculous. Obviously none of them are teachers so they are thinking only about what seems like it would look nice vs. what we need to actually have a functional school building. We tell them xyz won't work, they say okay, and then proceed with their original plan :mad:. I imagine this is how schools got carpeted hallways!

17. RussianBlueMommy

RussianBlueMommy Comrade

Nov 29, 2017

I wish all carpet would disappear!

18. blazer

blazer Groupie

Nov 30, 2017

As a supply (Substitute) teacher I get to see many schools. Some are in Victorian or Edwardian buildings where the floors are hardwood parquet tiling. These floor have been walked on for over a hundred years by probably millions of feet and yet still look stunning. Sadly you can tell where they have had to take a floor up as they never replace the original tiles and some modern material that wears out in a couple of years is always used. I don't think the skills are still around (and possible the materials) to re-lay these sorts of floors.

Like this
    https://www.broadleaftimber.com/ima...9a01052/rich-vintage-oak-parquet-flooring.jpg

19. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 30, 2017

With all of the dirt, mud, slush and snow that gets tracked into our halls, I can't imagine them being anything other than tile! They are swept three times a day and washed every night.

20. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

Nov 30, 2017

I teach in a PreK-12 building. The PreK-6 side of the school is tile hallways with carpeted classrooms. The 7-12 side of the building is carpeted hallways with tile classrooms.

21. ms.irene

ms.irene Groupie

Nov 30, 2017

Yes -- our campus is made up of "wings" in which the classrooms open up to a covered walkway. My room opens up onto a quad (more like a swamp) with a big, beautiful willow tree. On the other side of the wing is a huge empty field which I think is someday going to be a swimming pool. To the south, there is a field with sheep, and next door there is low-income housing. It is a weird and wonderful place to teach :)