Does your school do tardy sweeps?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by RussianBlueMommy, Feb 14, 2018.

1. RussianBlueMommy

RussianBlueMommy Comrade

Feb 14, 2018

This week has brought on something new due to a gung-ho new assistant P. He does tardy sweeps. One minute after the bell rings, he announces for all teachers to lock their door. He then goes around the building and gathers every student in the hallway, they are taken to the cafeteria until they are issued their tardy slip.
    There has been an inordinate amount of abuse with the tardy system, so maybe this is a good thing? Three tardies and they get a day of disciplinary class. Many students would be sent for tardy slips, but never come back. This sparked the new policy of random tardy sweeps.

3. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Feb 14, 2018

We do these weekly, at random hours. They are called tardy lock outs. It helps us keep up with who needs discipline for tardies. I love them, and I wish we had the staff availability to do them every hour of every day.

4. RussianBlueMommy

RussianBlueMommy Comrade

Feb 14, 2018

Ours are going to be three random periods a day. I like the idea a lot
    two

5. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Aficionado

Feb 14, 2018

I'm assuming this is at the middle/high school?

At the elementary level, there's no way around getting a tardy slip. Before getting into the classroom buildings, the kiddos have to enter the main office. The attendance clerk sits front and center and deals with attendance and other secretarial duties.

6. RussianBlueMommy

RussianBlueMommy Comrade

Feb 14, 2018

Yes high school 9-12

7. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Habitué

Feb 14, 2018

At my school, we mark kids tardy, but nothing ever happens about it. They are supposed to receive a detention after 3 tardies, but the admin doesn't follow up with it so they just keep being later. I have one kids with 12 tardies to period one in just 1 month.

nstructor likes this.
  8. MrTempest

MrTempest Companion

Feb 16, 2018

I makes you wonder what is the point of marking them tardy.

9. JimG

JimG Companion

Feb 16, 2018

We do them every period. It takes off of the teachers the hassle of stopping mid-class to mark a tardy.

10. Kat.

Kat. Companion

Feb 17, 2018

I teach elementary, so students are marked tardy by us if they come in after 8:05...but nothing ever comes from it. I don't understand the point, really....

We do have "no tardy parties" for students who have been on time every single day for the month as an incentive, but honestly we haven't done one in a long time.

When I was in middle school they started "sweeps". I hated it as a student but as a teacher now I totally get it and support it. They did it all day every day...it was a bit ridiculous because the principal would actually make hand motions and pretend he was sweeping you if he caught you lol.

High school they locked the door and we had to go to our AP and get a signed tardy slip before we were allowed to go into the classroom. I wasn't really ever tardy so I'm not sure if there were any consequences or not.