Does this seem stupid, or am I just angry for no reason?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by tchr4vr, Jun 7, 2018.

1. tchr4vr

tchr4vr Companion

Jun 7, 2018

Today--last day of school. I teach predominately seniors. My DE classes had their big exam yesterday--everyone is done with everything--we are collecting books, chromebooks, etc. My P decided to come in today to do an observation. Came to my DE class--they had their exam yesterday, half of them are not here--we are doing nothing except clean up and grade finalization. I have kids coming in to get summer reading assignments, turning in books, technology, signing yearbooks--all that traditional end of school stuff. She sits there for twenty minutes watching them do nothing. She asked to see one of the tests that I handed back and didn't seem to understand what I was testing--the kid explained it to her. She looked at my summer reading letter, didn't seem to understand it-the kid explained

What in the name of all that is whatever you believe in do you expect to see on the last day of school? And this is for my summative? I will be even more angry if there are negative comments on my evaluation. She is a complete moron.

whizkid likes this.
  3. txbelle

txbelle Rookie

Jun 7, 2018

I'm guessing she dropped the ball on doing an observation on you and she thought 'now or never'. However, I would be angry too if there was something negative. Seriously, she should know how classes are going to be on the last day, there's not a whole lot of instruction going on.o_O

readingrules12 likes this.
  4. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jun 7, 2018

Sounds like your P realized she'd forgotten to do an observation earlier and fit it in last minute. Terrible day to do that. :confused: I agree that shouldn't be used in any evaluation for instruction.

As far as asking about purposes of things, it could be she didn't understand, but it could also be she was checking to see if the students understand the purpose of the assessment and summer reading list. "Why is your teacher recommending summer reading?" could be a very ignorant question, or she could be checking for an answer from the student such as, "Ms. T wants us to read these if we have time so that we're practicing our comprehension over this summer and are ready for -- grade / our freshman year of college." Students understanding the purpose of a lesson and learning objectives is part of our evaluation, and so our P asks similar questions when he's doing observations also.

5. tchr4vr

tchr4vr Companion

Jun 7, 2018

6. tchr4vr

tchr4vr Companion

Jun 7, 2018

Oh, she's been in plenty--I think she's on some sort of a rampage. And for the questioning, i get that, she does that a lot. But I heard what she was asking the kid--it was "Where are the grades? Where are the answers? Where did these number come from?" and "What class is this that you're taking this kind of a test?" The point values were on the test, the answer were written on notebook paper, and it is a Dual Enrollment 2nd year English course. (200 level college). The test was a combination multiple choice, short answer with comprehension and analysis questions.

7. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Jun 7, 2018

I had this happen to me as a teacher many years ago. P was someone who put lots of things off. He did his final evaluation and summative on last day. It was completely unannounced. I wouldn't get upset yet. He might write a positive evaluation. My P did even though the last day was a bit chaotic.

I would try to relax and wait and see what happens. Most likely you'll get a good eval., maybe a good laugh about this, and then go enjoy your summer. It sounds like you've more than earned it.

8. Been There

Been There Cohort

Jun 7, 2018

Perhaps you can send her an email detailing the main points that you pointed out in your post. It might start like this (or however you choose):

Dear P:
    I noticed that you chose to conduct a summative 20-minute observation on the last day of school. As this is somewhat unorthodox, I would like to take the opportunity to explain what you were observing. (Simply describe what was going on.) End by wishing her a nice summer!

If you receive a negative report, send a response similar to the above.

9. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jun 7, 2018

This seems confrontational to me, like you feel the need to defend yourself. It might be needed, but I'd wait to see what she did with the observation notes before automatically going into defense mode.

dgpiaffeteach and readingrules12 like this.
  10. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 7, 2018

Before you jump to conclusions, wait until she comes to you. Don’t burn bridges before you cross them. Maybe her S was snooping around and SHE had to find something to do!

If what others are saying is true:

Call/email union stewart ASAP.

Ask why you weren’t given a formal heads up. “How could you evaluate me without the proper notice and preview form?”

Ask how you are judged at such a late time in the year.

But let her come to you... Hopefully, she was bored, had to kill some time, dodging someone, deflecting her own anxiety issues, etc. .If she was ticked because she had to do some work, don’t give her an excuse to make it into something ugly.

11. 3Sons

3Sons Connoisseur

Jun 7, 2018

I agree with others here that you should hold off before being confrontational -- your case here is very easy to make should there be any dispute, so I imagine she's more eager to avoid conflict than you are.

That said, you know her patterns better than we do. If you think she is likely to give you negative comments and won't back down from them, prepare yourself accordingly.

readingrules12 likes this.
  12. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jun 7, 2018

Our evaluations have to be done by a certain date. I forget what it is exactly, but it's at least a month before school ends. That's so weird that she would come in on the last day. Hopefully it's nothing to worry about!

13. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Habitué

Jun 7, 2018

Our union would be all over that one!

14. Been There

Been There Cohort

Jun 7, 2018

I think you guys are right! That was just my knee-jerk reaction. Best to wait and see before carefully considering the options. So weird.